Celebrity Picks 2016 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

external hard drive or flash drive compatibility

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2011 10:01:28 PM PST
I'm kinda new to gaming, and I got this xbox and bought as well a lot of games, but now I'm running out of space and I was wondering if anyone could advice me if it's better to buy an external hard drive or a flash drive

the main concern is that is compatibility, since there's a lot of products that say they're not compatible with certain consoles and I don't want to get something really expensive and then realize it doesn't work with my xbox

so, can someone recommend me external hard drives or flash drives compatible to this xbox? it'd be greatly appretiated!!

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 4:33:58 PM PST
Cyprus says:
Pretty much any USB flash drive or hard drive will work. Microsoft will "certify" certain drives as being fast enough, but in reality even drives that are "too slow" will work fine. Just get the nicest flash drive you can afford and it should work fine.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:01:57 PM PST
ON C. says:
is the external 320 gb compatiable with this xbox...does that hard drive work via usb? anyone know?Xbox 360 320GB Hard Drive

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 8:26:26 PM PST
Cyprus says:
That hard drive is designed specifically for the 360 Slim and will actually slide into the console. It's not an external drive.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 7:40:23 AM PST
Molly says:
Hi I am a computer putz - I bought the xbox kinect 4g last year and need to get an external hard drive for it - which should I buy PLEASE any help is dearly appreciated - do I get the 360 xbox slim or which other external drive. Thank yo so much

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 5:25:52 PM PST
Cyprus says:
This:

Xbox 360 320GB Hard Drive

is the easiest to install. You remove a little cover on the Xbox, slide this drive in, close the cover, and you're done.

If you don't need 320GB of storage (just think of it as 80 times more than you have now), then buying a 16GB flash drive might be an option:

Corsair Voyager 16 GB USB 2.0 Water Resistant Flash Drive (CMFUSB2.0-16GB)

That plugs into one of the ports on the Xbox.

The biggest differences are that the hard drive costs more, has more storage, and fits completely inside the Xbox while the flash drive has less storage, is cheaper, and will actually stick out of the Xbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 5:12:15 PM PST
TheXRAYest says:
@Cyprus.... You sound like a person who knows what he is talking about when it comes to Xbox hard drives, so I was wondering if you could advise me on my dilemma: I bought my kids a XBox 4G 360 last year, not the slim version. All seemed well enough until my DD requested a few older XBox games this Christmas - which I was able to find. Fast forward to Christmas day when the kids load in the games to the console - and a box pops up that informs them that an external hard drive must be connected in order to play the games. Needless to say, they were pretty disappointed, and I (being NO Xbox nor computer genius), was clueless that I even needed a hard drive for a gaming system. With that being said, I now have to purchase one, I suppose - lest my kids will never be able to play their new (older) games. I don't even know where to start with this. I doubt that I will need lots of GB's since we are only talking a few older games here, but maybe the hard drive will be useful for other XBox-related things than older games ? And will I need to purchase a data transfer cable also? I'm so afraid to purchase some aftermarket product that will not work once I get home and plug it in. I am hoping for a hard drive that is kind of idiot-proof, if you know what I mean. Or will a flash drive be just fine to play some of the older games? Thanks so much for any help that you can give me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 8:43:51 PM PST
Cyprus says:
Does your console look like this (the slim):

Xbox 360 4GB Console

or like this (the non-slim)?

Xbox 360 Arcade Bundle

I'm just clarifying because you say that you "bought my kids a XBox 4G 360 last year, not the slim version", but the slim version is the only one to feature 4GB of storage. I'll assume that you do have the slim model, but if that is not right, please correct me.

If you have the slim model, then getting this:

Xbox 360 320GB Hard Drive

or this:

Xbox 360 250GB HardDrive - Xbox Slim Only

will solve your problem. Just make sure to order directly from Amazon, not a third party seller. It can be hit or miss with the third party sellers. The only difference between the two is how much they can hold. Since that doesn't seem to be an issue for you, just get which ever is cheaper.

You do need to get a hard drive in this situation, as there is special software required to play old Xbox games that does not work with flash drives.

Once the drive arrives, you'll just need to remove a cover, slide the drive in, and you're done. Here's a rather verbose YouTube video on how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14zCYhJQDAA

The game saves that you have are stored on the 4GB of internal memory. New game saves will ask you if you want to store them on the 4GB of internal memory or the hard drive you installed. I'd recommend getting used to saving everything on the hard drive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 11:33:16 AM PST
TheXRAYest says:
@Cyprus ... Thank you so much for the info. And TY for the links - I guess I did purchase a slim version (who knew?... not me apparently), as it was the newer version and 4G. How about the "data transfer cable" that I read about? Do I need one of those as well? If yes, should I purchase a specific type? I REALLY appreciate your help with this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 3:09:15 PM PST
I have noticed (I have the 360 Arcade system from 2009...I think) if you save a game save for an old original Xbox title on the 360, the memory for the save seems very large compared to the 360 games. Just a note since you have the 4G.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 4:08:56 PM PST
Cyprus says:
Nope, no transfer cable needed. The hard drive will be a second storage option. So after adding the hard drive, you'll still have your 4GB as a place to store things. The cable is only needed if you're replacing a hard drive with another hard drive.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 3:32:10 PM PST
JChristine23 says:
I would like to expand my 4gb memory. My primary reason is because I would like to be able to back up my expensive games by installing them. I am assuming that a hard drive would be best for that, but I don't know. If I buy the 250GB hard drive and install it, will it void my limited warranty? If it does, then is there a decent sized external hard drive?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 4:47:18 PM PST
what do you mean "void the warranty"? how come would that happen if you're just expanding the memory?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 5:25:40 PM PST
JChristine23 says:
I've heard that opening the case or modifying your xbox in anyway internally can void your warranty. Not sure if that's true or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 6:45:57 PM PST
Cyprus says:
That only applies to non-Microsoft changes. The official hard drive does not void your warranty.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 10:33:25 PM PST
JChristine23 says:
That's good. Thanks alot for the info.

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 4:05:52 PM PST
I have an Xbox 360 Kinect 4gb... I was wondering if someone can give me a link to the correct hard drive I need for older games???
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

This discussion is about