Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

finding the best coffee burr grinder for YOU

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 17, 2008, 10:35:35 PM PST
Don Eylat says:
To find the grinder that is perfect(or at least nearly so)for YOU, you need to determine what sort of coffee cup you want to produce. There are many: some claim that the Aristocrat of all cups is the espresso "shotL coffee at its purest;nothing added but good water at near boiling temperature and under serious pressure to express all the essentials from a compressed cake of very fine coffee grounds(but NOT the finest powder , that is reserved for Turkish/Greek coffee which to me is the ultimate cup(or rather demi tasse= 2 fluid ounces but it certainly is not what youd drink with your breakfast foods. Neither is espresso the breakfast cup.. The espresso field is where headaches begin: the best grinder and the ultimate espresso machine may be a poor match. Fortunatelythere are companies(mostly Itlian.) that make both machines. A very popular pair is made by a company thtis mostly in the commercilrealm: Rancillio. Their Livia espresso machine is a great peformer and built for the long term of stainless steel nd matching it perfectly is the Rancillio Rocky grinder.The Livia will cost you few dollars ither side pf $500, the Roccky a little over $300.If you're a beginner with espresso, you might be bette off buying a Rancillio espresso bar: everythingyou need evn coffee but not a high quality tamper( some of their prices will blow your mind but that is another story!)
Now is to you a cup of coffee is a standard restaurant size - 4 to 4.5 Ozs or a standard mug 8 to 12 Oz of brewed coffee by drip or presspot method you cn get away with a smaller expenditute, even a very good blade type might do. Tom Owens of sweet Marias(and its dot com site) is one ofthe world greatest coffee experts nd he neither lies nor hypes. He reccommends the Bodum C Millblade machine because it cutsthe coffee beans rather than beat them into submission.I differ and recommend the Bodum Antigua burr grinder which is nearlypefect forall users except for espresso or Turkish(Few if any electric grinders do well with the Turkish setting. you really need a special manual mill but that too is yet another story.)My recommended Bodum Antigua is outstanding for drip coffee , Presspot(aka French press) but useless for espresso other than Bodum's own idiosyncratic Granos espresso maker and stove-top makers. The Antigua is beutifully made in Denmark. coffee beans hopper is made of very thick acrylic(+/-2.5mm thick) the grounds receptable fits perfctly, does not leak at all is also acrylic about 2mm thick. both hopper and grounds receptable are amazingly clear, clearer than crystal. The burrs are conical nd well machined of tool steel and easily accessible for cleaning but after my three months of two daily uses, including grinding some oily beans, Isee absolutely nothing that needs cleaning.Is it pefect ?NO. the on/off switch nd its light are in the back of the unit and the timer button is on the side and not easily visible unless you orient thwmachine for left hand us.sinceI don't have a left arm or hand, I'm more bothered than most but it is not a deal killer and at $69.95 delivered, no s/H, no Tax with a two year guarantee it is hard to match,nevermind beat.I got mine from AABree.com because of good past experience: they deliver what they promise nd I rate them AAA-1. there are other good suppliers, of coursebut I like AABree for the addiional reason that they are lso a service station for several brands. Other burr grinders in the under $100 cateory are the capresso 560 infinity at $89.950 fom amazon.com but it ismade in China and I suggest to never buy any grinder made in China regardless of price or name( these names are mostly "rent-a name deceptions) For a good espresso grinder theleast you'll pay isabout $200 for a Gaggia MDF(the lower priced Gaggia MM grinder at $100 or so is a piece of chinese junk, you'll need to spend at least a couple of hundred bucks but the $150 Solis/Baratza has been found "acceptable for espresso but for espresso "acceptable" is not good enough nd augurs a pricier purchase in theort term ... Believe it or not but there are home roasters who rate the $500Plus Mazzer Mini grinder(considered"king of thehill by mos ll real experts)ave found agrinder that is so huge nd uggly that no store, no cybermerchant will carry itI has a 1/2 Horse poer motor( now tht is overkill!!)everything is adjustable ( and needs to) it cost $1000 and up from the American whose other products are farm grinders and assirted farm implements.I would not be my cup of java even if I wanted or could spend that sort of money on a coffee grinder.MY 'dream machine is a Macap M5 the first serious challenger to thMazzer Mini bu I don't hve $350 or the cabinet height for it. besides,I', not into espresso anyhow.I f I were I'd probably het a Jura-Capresso fully automatic mchine thst grinds, tmps and delivers outstanding shots ith no fuss.I'm muchtoo old to fuss with tuning a grinder and j espesso machine to one nother. dounds too much like a mariage
Now i you want tolern about coffee and thmchinery:I suggest 1. sweet Mrias .com, a veritable coffee university and do try one of To's weekly rosted offerings. You mu anever buy stale preground supermarket coffee roasted by soapmakers(Proctor & Gamble roast and cans Folger;s the best ofbthe upermrket stuff.) also go to coffee ge .com where a fellow nmed Mrk Prince tests machine so thoroughly tht you'd think he tests NASA rockets to outer space. Customer reiews are just tht;take them with the customary grain of salt ... if you get my drift.

Posted on Apr 25, 2009, 12:29:22 PM PDT
J.Highland says:
Or maybe a good old fashion espresso grinder?....check ebay for an older La Pavoni commercial grinders, as well as Mazzer, La Marzocco.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2009, 10:41:29 AM PST
K. Hicks says:
I really wish I could learn from this writer, but I'm having so much trouble following his abbreviations, typos and grammatical mistakes that I cannot really make good use of his knowledge.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Feb 17, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2009