Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 87 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2012, 8:03:07 AM PDT
How do I get rid of moles poison is not working

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012, 8:05:57 AM PDT
KraftyKid says:
Rodney, get a cat, they are great mole catchers.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012, 12:15:44 PM PDT
Go to the barber or beauty shop and get human hair and put it down the hole. They will leave the area. My mother did that and we never had moles in our yard.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012, 1:05:55 PM PDT
Try a solution of 1 oz castor oil, 1 oz dish washing soap in a 2-3 gallon watering jug and saturate the holes and along the fence line.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012, 7:50:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012, 8:03:10 PM PDT
Tex says:
1 or 2 Gallon of gas, a common household or automotive funnel, and about 2 to 4 feet of garden hose attached to the bottom of the funnel. Find about 4 or 5 holes in the ground the moles have made that are in a rough circular pattern. Slide the hose down the first mole hole, with it attached firmly attached to the end of the funnel. Pour about a quart of gasoline down the funnel and hose rig into each hole until the gallon of gas is all used up. If you think you are up to it, try 2 gallons of gas. Carefully and gingerly Light one of the holes with a BIC lighter and be sure you are in a "semi running position" with your body well to the side of the mole hole. When you hear a combination of a sucking/whistling sound run like hell. You will hear a large boom if you run fast enough (hopefully no cops are around like when I did it). All moles will die immediately. Don't ask me how I know this works, but I promise it is extremely effective and all moles will die with this cheap method. CAUTION: It's possible you may shatter windows if you are too close to you or your neighbors home.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012, 5:02:22 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 24, 2012, 12:21:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012, 12:22:40 PM PDT
Capt Rick says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012, 8:52:31 AM PDT
Bookreader says:
Use Talpirid Mole Bait - Talpirid Mole Killer. You can but it from doyourownpestcontrol.com.

Moles will be dead in 2 days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012, 4:08:27 PM PDT
Zoltak says:
i am surprised the antelope was that co-operative.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012, 4:27:30 PM PDT
larry hyland says:
trap them and remove there food supply IE:grubs ants etc

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012, 8:01:24 AM PDT
Pointer says:
A gallon of vaporized gas is equivalent to a large number of tons of TNT. Its been too many years to remember how many, but train cars were mentioned. You could have killed yourself and the neighbors.
The results can be impressive, though. I accidentally did it to a cupful when I was a kid. First time I ever saw a mushroom cloud. Luckily we were a bit farther away than a bic lighter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012, 1:29:30 PM PDT
ref says:
might work but you would be crazy to do it. would rather have the moles than the bad disposition of my family and neighbors.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012, 7:19:02 AM PDT
Get rid of grubs first, no food no moles, and your lawn will look better to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012, 3:16:57 PM PDT
How did you get past the taste?

Posted on Jul 9, 2012, 4:29:33 PM PDT
I have a huge yard and caught 9 moles in 30 days with the Wire Tek 1001 EasySet Mole Eliminator Trap. Trust me, nothing else will work. When you stop seeing the digging you'll know you've killed them all. Kind of fun moving the traps around the yard each evening and catching one here and there. Ive got 8 acres and used 4 traps. If you like revenge, you'll love these traps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012, 5:04:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012, 5:07:20 PM PDT
Pampeliska says:
Wow, some innovative ideas here, although some of them (the gas???) look like the case of cure being worse than the problem.
The cat or the traps sound good, but I would not want to deal with the critters' corpses. Our cats would often proudly bring their dead "trophy" right in the middle of the living room expecting reward and accolades. Yikes!!

The human hair sounds best to me and makes most sense to me so far.

Here is my suggestion:
I had once mama mouse creep in and spew out a litter of babies in my outdoor storage room, god knows how she got there in the first place. There was no way I was going to kill them, but also no way I was going to let them stay.
After a brief online search I decided to try one method I liked the best - fresh ground black pepper which mice apparently hate. In the bulk section of a grocery store I found a great specimen, really strong and fresh smelling one, bought couple of ounces and sprinkled it all over the floor in the infested area.
Worked like magic. Two days later there was no trace of mice anywhere (other than their feces, I know, TMI, sorry :) and they have not been back since.

Not sure if the same would work for moles, but they are the same rodent family and before I would try anything else, I would go with this.

Either case, I would be very curious to see how much and what success you have had so far. Please let us know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012, 10:40:19 AM PDT
Liquid Fence markets a whole line of safe repellents. The mole repellent works by making the grubs and insects smell and taste bad. (Yes, I'm serious.) I apologize to my neighbors, but my moles have moved on to where their diet is tastier. I had to do it, because my two dogs were enthusiastically and fanatically digging out the tunnels. The havoc to the lawn was amazing.
This is my second year to use it, successfully. I would recommend Living Fence repellents for any purpose. They are all non-toxic and harmless to pets. (They sell a great dog and cat repellent, too.) Find them online, or check your local stores.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012, 9:16:15 AM PDT
I had a mole that was damaging my lawn. I got some mole repellant and tried to get rid of him with that. The plan is when he pops up a cone of dirt to dig down, find his tunnel and put in the repellant. I did this nearly daily for a good month with no results. Then one day he moved to another part of my lawn which I take particular pride in. That was it. I called the county vector control to see what could be done. Turns out they don't deal with moles but they did tell me several interesting things -

- Usually all the damage is done by one mole. Moles tend to be loners unless it's mating time.
- The tunnels that you can see in the grass are usually only used once. They are looking for worms and grubs.
- Moles make cone shaped mounds so if it is an entry way it's probably a gopher and not a mole.
- Mole tunnels are 6"-12" down and are large enough to get your hand into.
- The vector person said they tend to be attracted by night watering. Maybe.

They told me to go to this particular hardware store that deals with farmers and ranchers. That they had a large collection of stuff.

I went to the store and found in the back room was a collection of traps and poisons. Half the poisons say "Not to be sold in California". So after looking them over I decided to try the product in the picture. It cost about $20.

The info is on the package but this is how it works.

- You wait until a pile of fresh dirt shows up.
- I used a small 1/4" x 2.5' metal rod to poke around the pile until I found the tunnel.
- I then used some 1/2" rebar to open a passage to the tunnel.
- I poked the worm in.
- Sealed the hole. If there is light or too much disturbance they may avoid that tunnel.

Viola! No more piles and no more surface tunnels. I only used one worm.

The worms I used are "Tomcat" brand. I see they are sold on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012, 12:33:29 PM PDT
I decided to buy grub killer (insectcide) & sprinkle around yard or tunnels. Thats their food source. They leave. I have to use it about every 2 years. IT WORKS. So SIMPLE.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012, 2:43:01 PM PDT
great idea! probably cost less than the mole repellent that does the same thing...but if it isn't safe for pets, that would be an issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012, 5:11:52 AM PDT
Jenna H. says:
My moles are in my garden, lol...this sounds like fun, but I am afraid to blow up my plants as well...will be looking for a mole hole away from the garden, I am so mad at these things right now!!!! Tearing up my garden and around it and I have a LARGE garden!

Posted on Jul 18, 2012, 3:30:30 PM PDT
S. frank says:
On a day with little wind, carefully open one of the tunnels so you can see both directions. Crush up some dry ice and pack it in (wear gloves, it burns your hands), and cover with a towel. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air, it replaces the air in the tunnel and just puts moles to sleep.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012, 11:59:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2012, 7:43:33 PM PDT
Windzor says:
The product Talpirid works wonders! Last year our large yard looked like grand central station. I ordered this on line and within the 2 days, no more moles. Great stuff!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012, 6:48:53 PM PDT
Long acting smoke bombs and a leaf blower. Put the lit smoke bombs down the hole and use the leaf blower to blow in into their vast tunnels. Kind of fun too!! You will be surprised where and how far the tunnels go!!! Gather friends, have beverages and make a red-neck night of it!!!

Posted on Jul 25, 2012, 12:48:58 PM PDT
I've always been told that you have to get rid of the Mole's food supply. So get some grub killer and put that on your lawn. They love grubs.

Another thing to consider - and my sister found this out. Voles (sp?) like to use Mole tunnels and they are just as destructive to plants. My sister thinks she has both.

I love the idea of the smoke bombs and a leaf blower. :-) Sounds entertaining.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Patio, Lawn & Garden Tips and Tricks forum (200 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  55
Total posts:  87
Initial post:  Jun 18, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers