Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Alternative Medicine forum

Anxiety Attacks/Social Phobia Due to Cerebral Palsy...Anything to calm my nerves?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2009, 1:58:01 PM PST
Naki says:
I have very minor CP. I also have developed a sense of social phobia, with symptoms that are exacerbated by CP, like tremors, and tensing, that also make things like carrying a full glass difficult...oh, and forget plastic cup! I break them! The funny thing is, when at home or alone, it doesn't happen. I feel fine.

Anyway, I would like to try something to help me calm my nerves. Someone recommended valerian tea...I tried it a few times. In the beginning I felt calm and in control, but I think after 3 or 4 teas I grew a tolerance to it! So researching Amazon, I thought to try this Formula 303 pain relieve natural muscle relaxant 90 tablets....has anyone tried it? Or can someone recommend something more effective?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2009, 3:13:22 PM PST
I'm sorry, I don't know. But I struggle with social anxiety too, and hope you find the help you need. I know it's out there, and it's great that you're being proactive. Best of luck to you <3

Posted on Dec 18, 2009, 3:13:53 PM PST
Come to think of it, I've heard great things about foot tea. That's really all I know, the name, but I've heard good things.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2009, 11:36:17 PM PST
Ann Haffner says:
It sounds like a blocked negative emotion and that you would benefit from Emotional Freedom Technique. See www.emofree.com and learn how you can help yourself. It's free. Nothing is sold. Ann

Posted on Dec 19, 2009, 9:49:46 AM PST
KidGuide says:
You might look into EMDR. You would need to find an EMDR therapist, so it's not free. I currently work with Marines suffering from PTSD and the results are remarkable. Good luck. Frank

Posted on Dec 21, 2009, 6:49:23 AM PST
My daughter has CP. From my reading I understand that her nerve endings are not properly sheathed causing her to startle very easily. I totally understand the glass situation. In school she would flip her lunch tray into the air if she was startled while going from the cafeteria to her classroom on special days when the kids could eat in their classroom. This year she has been treated by a Chinese practitioner named Ken Yang in Overland Park, Kansas. Yang prescribes herbs for her to deal with the frontal lobe area of her brain. She notices a great difference when she's taking the herbs. She doesn't startle so easily. You can find him at Anderson Clinic (chiropractor/acupuncture/etc.) at 913.649.4045. Perhaps he can recommend someone in your area or help you find a Chinese practitioner that can help you. Good luck, skyplane@aol.com

Posted on Dec 22, 2009, 11:21:28 AM PST
Deepforest says:
I was experiencing anxiety a few months ago to the point I needed a temporary prescription for Xanax. What a strong drug! I eventually found two amino acids that greatly helped - I am no longer on the Xanax. GABA is sold in health food stores (I use the NOW brand) and it really helps to calm down the nervous system. I was clued in on that while reading the insert that came with the Xanax, which works by modifying how the body uses GABA. I take 2 - 500 Mg. in the morning and 2 at night before bedtime. I also take 2 - 500 Mg of L-Tyrosine at night. That really helps my mood the next day. And for general insomnia I've found that 4 - 500 Mg of L-Ornithine keeps me sleeping through the 3 am time I would normally wake up.

Posted on Dec 22, 2009, 2:15:06 PM PST
Naki says:
Thank you for your advice,. I just came back from a health store near me, and told the owner in there exactly what I wrote here, and recommended Sedalia, a homeopathic medicine. It says to allow 2 tablets to dissolve under the tongue. Has anyone tried this?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2009, 1:42:03 AM PST
LJ says:
Try magnesium. It relaxes you and calms nerves, it's natural, it's great as a sleep aid. Just get some from the health food store and try one in the morning, one at night. If you don't get an effect try 2 or 3. If you develop diarrhea it's the sign that you have reached your tolerance and need to take less next time. (since it relaxes the smooth muscles in the body, the colon is set of muscles that is affected) Helps alot with asthma too for the same reason - relaxes the smooth muscles (bronchials)

Posted on Dec 24, 2009, 9:04:35 PM PST
David's mom says:
Try "Calm" magnesium powder by Peter Gilham. You can order it here on Amazon. Relaxing. Also, True Calm by Now brand is a blend of calming amino acids.

Posted on Dec 25, 2009, 11:05:56 AM PST
Naki says:
Well, Sedalia did absolutely nothing for me. I don't know what to trust anymore. Should I just stick to those with Valerian Root contents?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2009, 2:36:32 PM PST
I am not a doctor, and am only giving you some ideas based on what I've found to be effective. I take 3 and a half Tablespoons each day of Carlson's Labs Finest Lemon Flavored Liquid Fish Oil. You can find it here on Amazon.com through Vitamin Shoppe, the highest potency one. Take it with low fat cottage cheese but avoid drinking water at the same time you take the oil. You can also spread the oil out throughout the day, if that helps, but you don't want to forget a dose. The only problem I know is if your blood gets too thin, but I am not had a problem. Ask your doctor, especially if you are taking blood thinning medication or anything that might contribute to thinning your blood, like aspirin. In a few weeks, or a month or two, I would expect a huge difference in symptoms from this higher dose of Omega 3's. For some reason, the Carlson's Labs formulation with the DHA does way better than any other brand for me. For acute symptoms, I use the tincture Lobelia/Skunk Cabbage Compound from Herb Pharm, which once again you can order here on Amazon. This stings but I just squirt one half of an eyedropper (1 oz bottle) on my tongue and let it soak into my mouth, and then follow with another half dropper ten minutes later if needed. I don't like to take the tea since lobelia can make someone vomit. Be aware of the precautions of using lobelia. I have personally not had a problem doing this the way I do, but one time I gave my cat a little and she wouldn't stop vomiting. I had to give her some charcoal, but anyways... I have seen this tincture knock out a panic attack instantly. Have you heard of anything else that might do that? That remedy is from the book Back to Eden, if you want more information. Be careful and assume full responsibility for your actions. I have not had a problem and have had great success, but everyone is different. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2009, 3:57:37 PM PST
I take 200 mg of L-Theanine in the morning. It is wonderful for anxiety. It's like a natural valium. If you research it you will find that it is a green tree amino acid or enzyme. The Japanese put it into the public water to help the Japanese chill. I really, really like L-Theanine. It also has good cardio properties. A very good source for quality vitamins and supplements with good prices is vitacost.com.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2009, 7:22:12 PM PST
LJ says:
Ah - a good suggestion. L-Theanine is a key ingredient in Green Tea! Drink lots of green tea - the regular kind early in the day and from afternoon on only decaf. It really does help you to be calm, and it's a great antioxidant and has so, so many healing properties!

Posted on Dec 27, 2009, 4:26:35 AM PST
Jackie says:
Valerian capsules. Rescue Remedy. Passionflower (tea works well). Skullcap (fresh or tincture -- dried doesn't work as well). Kava kava. These are a few possibilities.

My best suggestion, however, if you want to really kick this problem naturally is to buy a good herbal remedies book (e.g., "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook" by James Duke, Ph.D.) and look in the index under "Anxiety."

Hang in there!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2009, 11:24:46 AM PST
Naki says:
Thanks for the advice - how big are valerian capsules? Are they bigger that an iron pill? Also, can you grow a tolerance to them quickly?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2009, 6:47:24 PM PST
customer says:
Ms. Haffner suggests EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), but EFT is really only a watered down, derivative and generally less effective version of Callahan Techniques-Thought Field Therapy, (known as CT-TFT or simply: TFT). If the WATERED DOWN EFT protocol, with lots of UNNECESSARY added verbal affirmations fails to work, in EFT, then EFT can do nothing else for you. EFT only works on what we'd call "simple" cases, and there's a chance that it might work for you;-or might not!

But with TFT, we can help with even the most challenging cases. Check out www.tftrx.com, the website of the founder and developer of TFT, Dr. Roger Callahan. You can access Youtube videos that show some basic TFT treatments. Also, I suggest Dr. Callahan's book, TAPPING the HEALER WITHIN. Tapping the Healer Within : Using Thought-Field Therapy to Instantly Conquer Your Fears, Anxieties, and Emotional Distress

A lot of people are misled by EFT: If the simple one-size-fits-all EFT treatment fails to work for you personally, then you might just give up, not realizing that the ORIGINAL therapy, TFT, (of which all so-called "Energy Psychology" techniques, including EFT, are watered down variants, started by people who ALL trained under Dr. Callahan!), is available and can help.

If you give TFT a try, and still are suffering, then e-mail me, and I'll see what I can do for you. I won't charge you any money.
Thanks;
Steven Barger
goatropin@hotmail.com

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2010, 3:59:34 PM PST
Dana Taylor says:
Hi Tina--
Have you tried energy healing techniques such as Reiki? A good therapist will infuse you with calming energy frequencies that could have greater healing capabilities than you might expect--and with no side effects!
Dana Taylor
Supernal Friends

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010, 10:18:06 AM PST
ColdShot says:
I'm curious...did you grow up on a farm or were you exposed to the gardeners variety of nerve agents for controlling garden pests?

I ask because I seem to recall there was a connection made to that...and if that is a possibility, you may get help by trying to attack the problem from another angle.

There's a really good doctor who specializes in toxicty in the blood, her name is dr sherry rogers,

Detoxify or Die

Chemical Sensitivity

I know she used to do phone consultations...you can find her online by doing a search.

As someone suggested, fish oil may help by providing protection to the sheath covering for the nerves which could have been damaged by nerve agents or food allergy. but Dr Rogers would be the person to really talk to about this.

I wish you well.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 2:52:22 AM PST
Magnesium deficiency is the cause of much anxiety added to that the Palsy and i would suggest trying Magnesium to your tolerance level. I have much anxiety a few years back and then was diagnosed with the deficiency , once I took the Magnesium the anxiety went away. Treat the cause , not the symptom.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010, 10:41:38 AM PST
ColdShot says:
Maybe I'll get some for Mom....but hers came from her family environment.

I'm wondering if anxiety can, by itself, cause a reduction of magnesium?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010, 9:24:42 PM PST
Laser Lady says:
A company called Naturopatch.com which has a product for stress containing bergamot. No side effects, very calming. It looks like a nicotine patch and is absorbed through the skin all day. Doesn't seem to have the tolorance buildub problem but you could alternate it with the valarian tea if you wanted.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010, 4:42:53 PM PST
Abdul-Malik says:
BALANCED NATURE Naturally Curing Diabetes, Anxiety and Living Longer

Posted on Apr 10, 2010, 8:39:20 PM PDT
Agee fan says:
Try a jacuzzi or a moderately hot bath or a head-out hot shower. Heat is known to have sedative effects and can slow down mental processes and improve sleep. Be careful though, because heat is incompatible with many types of medication.

How to Become Smarter

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2010, 5:52:50 AM PDT
You may try looking at "Tapping" as a possible means to reduce the anxiety. Tapping the Healer from Within by Roger Callahan explores the various meridians in the body affected by electrical impulses as if they are polarized (misaligned) and a simple breathing exercise and tapping the different protocol points may be helpful. It was an excellent resource book and I use this for just about anything now for myself as well as my family. Good Luck and Good Health.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Alternative Medicine forum (81 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  30
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers