Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Audio Book forum

Unabridged vs abridged

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 214 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2017, 10:06:11 PM PDT
Gnomes Rule says:
The audiobook editor the publisher hires.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2017, 10:00:38 PM PDT
Gnomes Rule says:
There have been times when I read or listened to a book and it was apparent that the author was padding a book. When the same paragraph is repeated not once but two or three times. Example: Police Officers telling everyone how they found the body and what happen to the victim. Instead of doing it in one sentence they replay the entire event in detail with every character in the story.

Recipes included in the story, every little detail on how to make the dish. Now if they were adding poison, that's different. All other recipes after the end of the book for people who want to know.

Then there is the describing things that has nothing to do with the actual story.

Can you imagine figuring out exactly how much dialog goes on each disc to keep the flow balanced.

Also remember the longer the book the more discs, the more discs the higher the cost not only for the publisher but the reader as well.

I have no idea how the length of an audiobook effects the sales. However that is one thing I would like to find out.

Posted on Aug 10, 2017, 9:40:19 AM PDT
Karen Riggs says:
What book editor died and made an audiobook editor the deletion "decider"? The turn of phrase, the character exposition, the details that I might find enlightening might not be identical to those of someone else. If I wanted to be able to "skip over" sections, I'd borrow the printed library copy. This practice horrifies me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2017, 9:20:56 AM PDT
Karen Riggs says:
Who gets to be the judge of what is padding and what is not?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2017, 3:27:25 PM PDT
Gnomes Rule says:
Slower reader. Grover Gardner may be a faster reader than Brian Cox. Simple :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2017, 8:32:42 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 25, 2017, 8:34:34 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2017, 12:45:16 PM PDT
Franklin L. says:
Totally agree

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2017, 5:02:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 18, 2017, 5:03:42 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2017, 5:02:02 PM PDT
NMPascoe says:
Understood. I have this book in print, but never on audio so can't answer to this one specifically. But I listened to audio books from 1998 till 2013 while delivering newspapers, and I found that some readers read so slow I nearly fell asleep listening to them, while other readers read so fast it was difficult to keep up with 'em. Now that we have retired, I've gone back to printed books. If I can find 'THE TIME MACHINE' at my local library, I'll check it out and see what you mean.

Posted on Mar 18, 2017, 2:57:25 PM PDT
davidc says:
But why are some abridged version of an audiobook longer than the unabridged version? For example, H. G. Wells Time Machine. The abridged version read by Brian Cox is 3hrs 34min, but the unabridged by Grover Gardner is 3hrs 9min.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2017, 11:04:55 AM PST
Cornwall Man says:
When I am done listening to CD audiobooks my friends expect me to "give 'em a stack" so they don't have to pay for them or join a digital subscription service (they all prefer CD's as we are a tad older and fumbling with plug-ins is still foreign). But as the Unabridged Is Best (see all those noses in the air?) Movement has taken over my friends lament at the dearth now of Abridged versions. They see (and of course hear) that the Unabridged Is Best Movement is a stepchild of elite bloviates that postulate that "they know best" or the "author is offended" or "how could you not want to hear every "a", "an" and "the" in the work". Editors are wary of standing up to the mega-authors of the age because of the Bestseller syndrome in publishing. House prestige is on the line lest they lose one of their stable by an editor daring to tell these blabs to cut it down or cut it out. Abridged audiobooks solve this problem. They have to be ruthlessly edited to create the format. Can some be misshapen by the process? Of course. You, dear listener, must decide for yourself. A solid publishing audiobook house will ensure that their authors are happy with their revisions and you can go about and listen to twice as many audiobooks as before and miss nothing of importance. I'll think I'll start the Abridged is OK for Real People Movement.

Posted on Feb 13, 2017, 10:18:26 AM PST
Simon says:
(reposted, as previous post was on wrong account)

I guess another way of looking at it would be, would an author write a book the length of an unabridged book, it they could get away with the length of an abridged book? Most authors detest having to delete chunks of their book. The only reason it says 'approved by author' is that if they are contractually obliged to produce an abridged version, then the 'approved' version is what we get...that's not the same as the author approves doing an abridged version.

As for those whose attention span can't cope with an unabridged book, why bother with audiobooks full stop?...you might as well watch the TV or Film version of the book! Better still, find a synopsis of the book on the Web, and you're done!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2017, 9:24:48 AM PST
Shah Alam says:
Without an iota of doubt or discussion, the prioritization would stand just as you have aptly concluded: unabridged (on top) followed by abridged, film, TV documentary and reading synopsis on the web. I guess those are the options available and everyone can make his/her own choice depending on the available time and personal preference.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2017, 8:39:50 AM PST
NMPascoe says:
A-B-S-O-F-R-E-A-K-I-N-G-L-U-T-E-L-Y! You said it so much better than i could, thank you MUCHLY!

Posted on Feb 11, 2017, 6:19:32 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 13, 2017, 10:00:02 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2017, 12:52:47 PM PST
Gnomes Rule says:
What if the author approved every thing that was deleted from the book. Take a look at the back of the abridged audio books version and most likely you will see, "Abridgement Approved by the Author".

You think an author is going to cut out so much that it ruins the audiobook?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2017, 12:44:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2017, 12:57:06 PM PST
Gnomes Rule says:
The standard changes because each reader will set their own standard, which makes it difficult to say what is the standard.
Do I want to read the same paragraph over and over again? No, tell it once and let it go. Repeating the same thing just to add pages to a book doesn't make me happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2017, 12:28:43 PM PST
As a person who sometimes reads a 500+ page novel in an evening (and I don't skim), I usually can't stand unabridged audio books; they just ....... move ........ so ......... slowwwwwww. My attention wanders.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2016, 9:47:55 AM PST
Shah Alam says:
Your comment mentioning "blood bath" is so apt. A comparison has to be balanced between two somewhat equals and not between apples and oranges: a blood-bathed-abridging would fall in the latter category.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2016, 7:47:02 AM PST
Gnomes Rule says:
On Audio Books - Going from 48 to 4 CDs is way too much, I can understand what you wrote. It has to be a balance not a blood bath of cutting out everything except for the kitchen sink.

I found too that the reader has a lot to do with it. If the reader is not doing his or her job you don't care (and that is a problem in itself) you just want the story to move.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2016, 7:36:39 AM PST
Gnomes Rule says:
I wonder some times if an author thinks after reading reviews of his or her book, "You know that person was right, the story did drag there maybe I should have cut it down. I wonder why no one said anything. I'll just shorten it in the abridged version."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2016, 7:29:29 AM PST
Gnomes Rule says:
Again it all depends on what the author is writing. I read a book that repeated the same scene over and over again when the character met each and every other character in the book. When you read the same thing over and over and with no changes on each telling it gets a little bit too much. I found myself thinking yeah, yeah I heard that already move on.
And here I am saying the same thing over again. Sorry.....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2016, 6:47:06 AM PST
I can understand this viewpoint. Without a doubt, I know I skim a little or a lot in most novels I read. But to say the abridging process makes the novel better is a highly subjective conclusion. Unlike a movie, a novel writer has the freedom to go off on a tangent while unraveling the main plot, and many readers truly enjoy those tangents. Some readers might enjoy cutting the book's plot down to its barest bones and eliminating the various tangents or descriptions or observations on humanity, which is the purpose of the abridging process, but I think it's misleading to say it makes the book better. Better by whose standards?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2016, 2:03:07 PM PST
Shah Alam says:
It's all about managing and making the best use of the time available. Listening to unabridged audiobooks allows one to relish two or three vis-a-vis one in the same time frame: in fact, that is also the reason why I prefer listening (to audiobooks) rather than reading. I endorse the comments of Tolerable Music that often the abridged ones are BETTER.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2016, 1:02:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2016, 1:05:08 AM PST
Susan Lawson says:
What you might "gloss over" and what I might, can easily be worlds apart. Why would I take somebody else's opinion on what might not be significant to the story. Ridiculous. You might cut out what I consider essential to the ambience of the story.

Abridged is like getting a hershey kiss but was expecting a king size snickers. Unabridged is all I would get.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Audio Book forum (105 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Audio Book forum
Participants:  99
Total posts:  214
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2007
Latest post:  7 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers