Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Top five books you've read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 151 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 30, 2013, 7:10:45 PM PDT
Harris says:
Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins (July 1984 - I found this book while at MSU for freshman orientation. You might say I stole it. Whatever. I love it.)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (I'll always love this story.)

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (I didn't understand it the first time I read it back in 1980. I still don't totally comprehend it, but the writing is so lovely that I don't care.)

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (It cracked me up that the whole family is taking the same damn drug.)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (I still think about the imagery of every tree on earth crashing to the ground. )

Posted on Jun 20, 2013, 10:04:26 PM PDT
book crazy says:
My choice of 5 books are, Bloodline by Sidney Sheldon, The White Queen by Philippa Gregory, Paradise by Judith McNaught, South of Broad by Pat Conroy and Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013, 9:41:57 AM PST
Jennifer says:
Just finished a great book....filled with inspirational stories, and purposeful "truths". The book, "The Twelve Gifts of Life" by Cindy Champnella is a wonderful read and the perfect book for your bookclub. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013, 5:21:23 AM PST
MommaMia says:
Both Pillars and World Without End were fanatastic. I also enjoyed the Pillars mini series, but I have tried to watch the World Without End one and have been very disappointed with it. I've only been able to watch the first 1/2 hour with any level of interest. Oh well....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013, 9:32:37 PM PST
I agree with Pillars of the Earth. It was a great book all around!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013, 7:33:05 PM PST
I have read and really enjoyed all but "City of Thieves" so I will have to try that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013, 7:18:46 PM PST
No need to be snarky, gypsyartist...

Posted on Feb 28, 2013, 4:28:26 PM PST
Robert Crais ,his new one Suspect is one of his best. also Alan Bradley .

Posted on Feb 27, 2013, 6:26:54 AM PST
Michele C says:
ANYA - Susan Fromberg Schaeffer; THE POISONWOOD BIBLE (Barbara Kingsolver); THE WAY THE CROW FLIES (Anne-Marie MacDonald); SASHENKA (Simon Montefiore); THE CRY OF THE DOVE (Fadia Faqir)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013, 9:06:39 PM PST
Sally says:
What's Left of Me by Paul Templer
Have a Little Faith by Mitch Album
A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick
Daughters for a Time Jennifer Handford
Tamar by Mel Peet

Posted on Feb 26, 2013, 6:51:45 PM PST
I could not narrow it down, so here are ten I have enjoyed throughout my life, in no particular order:
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Justine - Lawrence Durrell
The Blind Assassin or Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
Watership Down - Richard Adams
The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - CS Lewis

Posted on Feb 21, 2013, 6:39:51 AM PST
Doloris, interesting choice. He did play Christ after all in "The Passion of Christ". I still vote for Dolph Lundgren. While he is a bit older, the wonders of prosthetics and make up today could erase the age. FYI, there is a separate thread for this topic entitled "Jack Reacher, Lee Child, and Tom Cruise" that discusses this. Check out that thread if you are interested in Jack Reacher.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013, 3:48:22 AM PST
I think Jim Caviesel would have made a perfect Reacher instead of a shirmp like Ton Cruise

Posted on Feb 20, 2013, 4:55:10 PM PST
MommaMia you are so right! I also thank everyone for their recommendations. As one who recommends lots of books I do also keep in mind that others may not agree and I don't take it personal if someone disagrees. In fact on any given day I might like a book or a series and then I may change my mind the next. Differences make some discussions fun but should never be used to hurt a persons feelings. Differences make the world interesting. I wouldn't want it any other way. Happy Reading!

Posted on Feb 20, 2013, 9:55:01 AM PST
MommaMia says:
I've read so many books, and enjoyed so many as well. I absolutely loved Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett. I loved Corrag (can't recall author)...loved At Drakes Command (just recently finished)....Wuthering Heights is an all time favorite, along with Jane Eyre. I love most classics. The Hangman's Daughter series is one of my favorites at this time, also.

We all have such different taste, and what makes a great book to me, may not be what defines it for someone else. I dislike Charles Frazier's style...but others find him to be one of their favorite authors. It's all what works for an individual, their taste and what clicks with them. I don't think there can ever be ONE list of the greatest books, but I've seen some interesting choices here and I thank everyone for sharing their favorites.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013, 7:36:28 PM PST
My 'Fab Five Favs' (subject to change as physical and emotional circumstances warrant):

1. The Holy Bible
2. Heart of Darkness
3. Up from Slavery
4. The Big Sleep
5. CHILDHOOD'S END

Posted on Feb 19, 2013, 6:31:41 PM PST
Alvin, the books are easy to read and enjoyable. I start one and can't put it down until I'm done. I hope you give "Jack Reacher" and Lee Child a try. Happy reading. L

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013, 6:24:34 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Alvin: Jack Reacher is the main role/hero of a series of books written by Lee Child. I believe there are 17 or 18 books out now. Reacher, 37 yrs old, a retired military that quits and decides to hitch hike across the USA. He has seen alot of the world but not enough of the US. He doesnt drive, he has no luggage, he carries a toothbrush and an ATM card. He has some retirement cash in the bank that he uses to live on. Sometimes he works at a PT job for extra cash. The books are about what happens along the way.
He has a few military buddies that help him out once in awhile. Reacher has come into the public eye recently because Tom Cruise made a movie last year about Reacher. If you like this kind of fiction - I highly recommend the series. Try to read them in order. Starting with "The Killing Floor"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013, 4:12:10 PM PST
who is Jack Reacher

Posted on Feb 19, 2013, 6:00:57 AM PST
A. Diamond says:
Top 5 books recently read by a former Librarian:
The Lost Wife
The Last Van Gogh
Daniel Silva books- fabulous-Start with Prince of Fire
The Gordian Knot
Citizens of London (nonfiction)-Olson

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013, 8:10:34 PM PST
GrandmaB says:
Glad to see mention of The Poisonwood Bible! The book was positively hypnotic. I read it on a train ride from Florida to New York.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013, 7:53:25 PM PST
GrandmaB says:
Bridie, I don't know if you are still looking for suggestions but here are a few:
Remembrance of Things Past
The Magnificent Amberson's
To the Lighthouse
Return of the Native
The Small House at Allington
Washington Square
Also, all of Anita Brookner's novels.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013, 8:50:20 AM PST
Tale of Two Cities
Fault in our Stars
The Book Thief
The Help
Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series

Posted on Feb 16, 2013, 7:20:55 AM PST
A couple of books just came to mind. Both by Ray Bradbury. "Dandelion Wine" and "Farenheit 451" A John Steinbeck I enjoyed many years ago was "The Pearl". For some fantasy reading I recommend the first three books of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephan R Donaldson. "Lord Foul's Bane", "The Illearth War", and "The Power that Preserves". The second series of the TC Chronicles is also good "The Wounded Land", "The One Tree", and "White Gold Wielder". The books are big and at times trudge along but for the fantasy and Tolkien fans out there they are worth the time. There are additional books in this series but I couldn't get past book six. They were written in groups of three. I had a Lord of the Rings movie marathon yesterday and it brought these books to mind. And yes, they are available on kindle at the same cost as a paperback book.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013, 5:42:17 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain (2012)
"A beautiful portrait of being in Paris in the glittering 1920s-
A deeply evocative story of ambition and betrayal, The Paris Wife captures the love affair between two unforgettable people: Ernest Hemingway and his wife Hadley." (altho Hem was known as a womanizer, He always said Hadley was the only woman he truly loved)

Chicago, 1920: Hadley Richardson is a quiet twenty-eight-year-old who has all but given up on love and happiness-until she meets Ernest Hemingway. Following a whirlwind courtship and wedding, the pair set sail for Paris, where they become the golden couple in a lively and volatile group-the fabled "Lost Generation"-that includes Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound, and F. Scott Fitzgerald.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (74 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  84
Total posts:  151
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers