Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Books with guts!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 66 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012, 12:30:18 AM PDT
Yvonne says:
who's name and why?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012, 3:21:19 PM PDT
Nibaur says:
Finally met my Waterloo in Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas. I was totally surprised by the ending and isn't that what we are looking for? It is similar to working a cross word puzzle, these who dunnits.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012, 7:35:54 PM PDT
pat'spix says:
I started this post and am so grateful for the input readers have given. I've made a list and will start at my library (sorry Amazon, but I have spent a zillion with you anyway, and surly it will continue . . ). I just read Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross. It was an incredible trip to the ninth century and the 'legend' of a female pope. If you like historical fiction, built on lots of research, this is a winner. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Please keep them coming. James Patterson and Nicholas Sparks be damned!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012, 7:45:05 PM PDT
Nibaur says:
I loved the story of the female Pope Joan. Fiction or fact? Who knows.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012, 9:28:11 PM PDT
thunder road says:
Guts? How big of a list do you want?

The gutsiest book I've ever read is "One Flew Over the Coockoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey. And, of course, the moral complexity of racism, and taking a stand against evil in "Huck Finn." And then there is the harsh realism and redemptive message of William Kennedy's "Ironweed", and the excellent "The Lovely Bones."

Or "Cat's Cradle," "Slaughterhouse 5," and "Breakfast of Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut.

I also like "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell. Or "Middlesex" by Jeffery Eugenides.

I could go on. And on. And on... =)

And don't get me started about non-fiction...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012, 8:51:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012, 7:59:18 AM PDT
corsairace says:
withdrawn.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012, 12:46:01 PM PDT
pat'spix says:
Thanks. Your suggestions sound pretty darn gutsy! I appreciate them. Adding to my list . .

Posted on Jul 26, 2012, 11:19:55 PM PDT
jpl says:
Dorothy Bryant's The Kin of Ata Are Waiting for You

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012, 7:34:29 AM PDT
Nibaur says:
Its on my list

Posted on Aug 7, 2012, 12:23:32 PM PDT
RRRT says:
Just finished "Defending Jacob." It kind of reminded me of the old Patty McCormack movie "The Bad Seed." Good story.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012, 12:20:20 PM PDT
Suki says:
Try reading the Ravens Deep Trilogy by Jane Jordan, read the reviews on amazon.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012, 11:57:42 PM PDT
Unbroken is a great gutsy nonfiction read.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012, 12:13:13 AM PDT
Yvonne says:
who is the author?
Pat'spix, I am reading Pope Joan at the moment and Im loving it, great recommendation

Posted on Oct 29, 2012, 1:13:55 PM PDT
F. Stapleton says:
Incredible memoir by Peter Godwin entitled When a Crocodile Eats the Sun...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 7:44:23 AM PST
Hotel Noir

I've never come across a novel quite like Hotel Noir, a tale of high-stakes altruism fearlessly told.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012, 6:20:07 AM PST
Z. Michael says:
This discussion is great, always looking for something new and surprising. I guess I am a complete book lovin fool!
Across the genres I go
Pillars of the earth - awesome and no doubt, Folliett is an incredible writer
I loved State of Wonder by Anne Patchett - great read
Read all of Larsson's Girl with Golden Tattoo series - excellent
Scary stuff loved..
Ghost Story - T.R. Freeman, Classic old fashioned ghost story
The Woman in Black - Susan Hill, another excellent scary tale
Try little known Rod Redux if you like the scary, first one I read was House of Dead Trees and just kept going with all of his books ( I had never heard of him)

GUTSY YOU SAY.....
One of my very favorite of favorites is Joe Abercrombie, even better than George RR Martin, although I do love him
Abercrombie writes such awesome characters, I am completely hooked on him. These books are in the Science fiction genre and maybe would appeal more to men than women, but what can I say I am a woman and I LOVE The Bloody Nine and Glotka, two of the most interesting people I have ever come to know. I can't reccomend Abercrombies books enough, just maybe not for everyone. Start with The First Law series - The Blade Itself, Before they were Hanged and Last Argument of Kings, then I read Best Served Cold, Heroes (just finished) can't wait for Red Country ( Nov.20th)If you like big strong men with real depth of character, you will love Abercrombie!

Also reading The Twelve - Justin Cronin, second in a three book series that began with The Passage, its going quickly and no dissapointment!

Man I am across the board on my love of books, I threw in Proof of Heaven last week, read it in two days...very interesting

I always mix in some old classic's just read Tess of the Durberville's - wonderful, wonderful.

Need to get back to Folliett soon and will check out the recommedation of Cutting the Stone.

I've left out a bunch, so many wonderful writers and so many wonderful stories, for me reading is transportation, traveling to worlds alien to my own and being right there. I just hope to be traveling forever!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012, 11:43:35 AM PST
Yvonne says:
Thanks Michael
will check out those suggestions
I loved Larrsons Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series as well, couldnt put them down.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012, 4:16:48 PM PST
pat'spix says:
Wow! I am super-dupper impressed with all of these book recommendations! This has been the greatest little discussion for me, and I hope for others. I do love to get 'lost in a book', and there is much fodder here. I've gotten into Detective Harry Bosch, via Michael Connelly. This will add to my winter reading, as I live in (brrr) Michigan. Keep it coming, readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 5:08:21 AM PST
Kevin Beck says:
Farm City by Novella Carpenter. She's a gutsy urban farmer on a city lot in Oakland, CA. This woman has mega-guts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 7:29:39 AM PST
Nibaur says:
Thanks Kevin, will put that on my list. Reading a Willis book, Anatomy of Ghosts.
Finished a lovely folksy book by Jon Hassler, circa 1974, Staggerford.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 7:45:47 PM PST
pat'spix says:
Yes, Yes! Can't believe we lost him and his wonderful imagination! Try Swedish writer Henning Mankell and Norwegian Jo Nesbo.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012, 4:02:23 PM PST
sweetpea says:
The book is so good. I can't even imagine how they made out of it because it was so complex.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012, 8:48:12 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 18, 2012, 8:57:21 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 8:02:33 AM PST
Don Baron says:
Doyou have a used book called, "the Goal of theGospel" byl Bickel and Nordlie?

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 8:04:35 AM PST
Don Baron says:
Please find a copy of "TheGoal of the Gospel" by Bickel andNordlie (Concordia publishing HouseJ)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (74 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Jul 5, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers