Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Binoculars forum

Canon IS (image stabilization) Binoculars ARE LIKE NO OTHER.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2010, 8:14:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2010, 8:18:43 PM PST
B. Speer says:
There are some special use exceptions but for nearly all binocular uses the Canon IS binocs are the best choice. If you look through a pair of Canon IS binocs you will likely have no interest in any other binocular no matter if they are Zeis or Nikon or whatever.

Canon IS glass quality is not as good as $1,000 plus binocs BUT that STEADY IMAGE more than compensates for the lens quality except at the edges. The superior view difference is HUGE. Try them please, just try a pair whatever it takes to beg, borrow or whatever LOOK through a pair. That steady image means your eyes don't get tired trying to compensate for the wiggles.

My Nikon E glass binocs, at twice the price, are useless compared to my Canon IS. Only a tripod could close the difference but tripods defeat the purpose of binocs which is portability and follow the subject use.

YES the Canon IS price is above average but well below the higher quality types. And the view is so SUPERIOR that there is no second choice when you can afford the Canon IS.

Read the reviews here at Amazon. Particularly for the Canon IS 10x30 IS and 12x36 IS. Above this power the Canon IS start to get heavy.

If the price is too high be patient and shop for used on Ebay or save up. Often people buy binocs, even the Canon IS, do not use them enough to keep them. That is how I found my bargain priced pair of 10x30 IS for about $200.

And that's the truth IMHO................Fourcents

Posted on Mar 6, 2011, 3:09:58 AM PST
I have finally woken up to the focus-free type of binos.
Next purchase may be some Canon IS.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011, 6:57:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2011, 7:10:33 PM PDT
Tell us how you really feel.... LOL!
I guess this is why they have so many bids when I see them on ebay? The 50mm models in particular.
I must ask though, what's your application? I can see the benefit of the IS feature if you're scanning the field or if you're in a moving vehicle, or if your target is moving, but if IS was all that why do the militaries of the world still consider 7x50 to be the ideal format (at least for young men with healthy pupils, my 49 year old eyes prolly good for 5mm)
I consider myself somewhat of a binocular collector, my father was a quartermaster on a WW2 Navy minesweeper in the Pacific (he got me to join the Navy too, I did 4 years) and he brought back his favorite pair and had others, there was always a pair in reach around the house. I have had over 100 pairs pass through my hands over the years, usually own up to a dozen at any time and fact is I don't use them that often, just love the things.
All that being said my favorite, and "standard" by which I judge others I aquire, is a mint pair of NVA 7x40's, Zeiss Jena's legendary "Checkpoint Charlie" binocs. Enormous occulars, huge depth of focus, and a 3d representation of view nothing I have seen yet can approach. Big and heavy but nuke-proof. $300 on ebay back when they were prolific, worth about twice that now in this condition.
Best value I've gotten was a pair of Japan made late '80's Bausch and Lomb Nat'l Audobon Society 10x40's with amazing clarity, with case in VG condition from a thrift store for $10! (which is the point of collecting)
I have been wanting a pair of Fuji FMTR-SX 7x50 for a while, (I have the ARC-SX with the smaller occulars, I think that compromises them so would like to try the FMTR) perhaps the Canon is something I should look at next instead. The high power in a small package is appealing, I just wonder if the light gathering is sufficient.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Binoculars forum (28 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Binoculars forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Feb 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 11, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer