Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Need biography recommendations please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-99 of 99 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 14, 2011 6:57:34 AM PST
Belkis says:
Just finished reading Conversations with a Goat by Robert Shekter, wondering if there will be a sequel.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 4:32:44 PM PST
ReviewerNYC says:
Looking forward to reading the long awaited release of Lucinda Ruh's book "Frozen Teardrop". She is the most artistic figure skater ever to take the ice stage! The most accomplished and beautiful spinner (you must look up her videos on-line or on her website), you will be astonished when you see her spin. Simply an inspiration to all. What a great person. I plan on updating this review after I finish reading her book, but especially since I take notice that Lucinda wrote the book herself (not like others who hire a writer - no short-cuts for her), I am confident it will be an enjoyment to read. I am truly looking forward to reading her story.
The link to her newly released book is directly below;
Frozen Teardrop: The Tragedy and Triumph of Figure Skating's "Queen of Spin"

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 5:22:47 PM PST
What are wisdom and intelligence by James Kelley
Here is my books query. Do you believe a "Grass roots" book like this one will make it in our society today?
James Kelley

"What are wisdom and intelligence" chronicles the life of an average American's struggle through a society eclipsed by a man-made distortion of true reality. This 430 page book shows people the everyday roller coaster of an average Jim in 65 chapters peppered with the morals, ethics and coping skills learned through life experiences. Written for my children, this book has an intense feel of introspect; and by reading this material, it will take you back to a lot of your own memories and give YOU back to the basics of YOU.
This book will show you the simple things that are becoming lost in a society distracted by the complexities of life itself. "What are wisdom and intelligence" doesn't speak of the actual meaning of wisdom and intelligence but instead poses the question of whether our society needs to ask this question in the first place or does society automatically judge a person by there wisdom and intelligence? This unique view of the simple man's life brings back a sense of integrity through making bad decisions and seeing the results first hand. These missteps are further compromised due to the apathy of our time. Society has become too complicated in its own intelligence. People with a lot of education think that they have all the answers and often times refuse to listen to "the common man's" wisdom. Here in lies the premise of my book and the average "Jim's" plight.
My life and in turn my book is filled with "the simple things in life that save us all." Integrity, morals, ethics and a simple smile are the tools of an average Jim. My experience is life itself, nothing more and nothing less. I was a Jack of all trades and master of none. I started as a Marine and then did a bit of everything; truck driver, cowboy, fence contractor, restaurant manager, and taxi driver just to name a few. Also at one point, I hitch hiked across the US. My strength and wisdom came with time, as it should. The common sense approach to life is what brings me around to today. My daily inspirational thoughts on the internet have become strength for many and in time, I hope, will be one of the strengths of my book. My public speaking, thus far, has been filled with music, laughter and inspiration. People are searching, in many ways, for answers when they are right there in front of them and that is what makes this book so inspirational and introspective. People see themselves through the words I give to my children and in turn find the joy in their own life. There are no magic words to restore the basic realities of life but in there own minds. All they need to do is take away the distortions of wisdom and intelligence.
I truly appreciate you taking the time to look at my simple book of life and hope that it will be the inspiration for you to want more. Please feel free to contact me and hope to hear from you soon. Thank you so much for your time.
Respectfully,
James H. Kelley

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 12:40:25 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 4, 2012 8:52:43 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 2:15:08 AM PST
Rock My World by John Howard, check it out!

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 3:27:02 PM PST
Johanna says:
Winner of a Bronze Medal in October 2011 From Readers' Favorites, 'Graffiti on My Soul' will take you on a trip to a different time, a different place, a different life, to a place of raw fear, inspiration and transcendence!

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 12:49:57 PM PST
Reader1 says:
Try Under Revision by Michelle Kohrs. It's the story of a family torn apart when the mother abandons her seven children while her husband is in Vietnam. The youngest of the children finds her mother after searching for 41 years. An amazing story!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 1:28:32 PM PST
S. Dawson says:
Guttersnipe
My late father wrote about travelling back to London on his own at the age of thirteen when we was evacuated during World War Two.
If this is you type of book please try it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 5:57:14 AM PST
Mental Healers: Franz Anton Mesmer, Mary Baker Eddy, Sigmund Freud

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 1:34:21 PM PDT
cerinto says:
What are you waiting for? Read Jesus Christ life told by himself. You'll find it amusing and worthy to think abou it.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 8:56:50 AM PDT
Army Vet says:
Brave Rifles by Erik Shaw was really good. I bought it for the heck of it and it was pretty good!!

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 9:43:30 PM PDT
GC says:
You might enjoy my book,"I Wouldn't Change a Thing"... which is an engaging story about how a teenager overcomes a disability to live an ordinary life. Glenn Campbell was sixteen when a near fatal bicycle accident left him paralyzed from the neck down. His life was set on a seemingly unnavigable course. After a long period of rehabilitation and recovery, Glenn strived to maintain a positive attitude. While there have been many moments throughout that his faith and determination had been tested, he candidly reveals how he overcame those challenges. With the support of loving family, friends and an ever-growing faith, Glenn remained determined to build a life that he could call his own. In the end, you will see how he accepted this life-changing event by cherishing the life he now has.
Your reply to GC's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 6:08:31 AM PDT
Racing for Recovery From Addict to Ironman www.RacingforRecovery.com

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 5:31:29 AM PDT
Missing the Mark: A Target Child Speaks by Keith Hoerner on Amazon
You Tube Video (Copy and Paste in Address Bar):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skl3oh4FCb0

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 11:25:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 21, 2012 5:29:07 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 7:18:35 AM PDT
Black-eyed Susan Among the Roses for a good read about a neglected child within a very large dysfunctional family.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 7:15:44 PM PDT
Gaston says:
Gaston's Secret: the lottery child.

Gaston's Secret

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 1:07:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 1:12:47 AM PDT
Dusty Papers says:
Epistolophilia: Writing the Life of Ona Simaite Epistolophilia tells the story of a librarian who hid Jews in a university library during the Holocaust. She was arrested, deported to Dachau and survived. The book is based on a collection of thousands of letters and scores of diaries. A compelling story.

"Sukys draws liberally from thousands of pages of correspondence and numerous diaries to create a portrait of a deeply thoughtful woman trying to make sense of history and her own life by putting it all to paper. Also of Lithuanian descent, Sukys's own meditations on the power of letters and writing make this a powerful testament to the confluence of history and individual lives and passions."-Publishers Weekly
(Publishers Weekly 20120316)

"Epistolophilia is not a typical biography, and Šimaitė was not a typical World War II hero. For readers looking for an unconventional account of the World War II and post-war eras, as well as those interested in women's life writing, Epistolophilia is a nuanced and compelling work."-ForeWord Reviews
(ForeWord Reviews 20120409)

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 10:40:54 AM PDT
S. Simon says:
Blockhead Productions will be offering the Kindle version of "Notes From The Sand" absolutely free for the next 3 consecutive days (beginning tomorrow, April 24 and ending Thursday, April 26 at midnight Pacific Standard Time).

Please spread the word to all your close friends, family and colleagues about this hilarious and inspirational book and let them know about this great opportunity. Also, these will be the final three days that they can purchase the hard copy of the book for the low price of $9.99 through both Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

To get your free Kindle edition, beginning tomorrow, click here Notes from the Sand

To purchase the paperback version for just $9.99, now through Thursday, go to Notes from the Sand

Thanks for helping us spread the word!

Blockhead Productions
www.blockheadproductions.net

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 6:55:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 30, 2012 7:54:25 PM PDT]

Posted on May 8, 2012 10:25:20 PM PDT
Reader says:
True Crime: I Witnessed A Killing (A Mother and Child Fight for Their Innocence)

Posted on May 10, 2012 5:38:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 29, 2012 1:59:39 PM PDT]

Posted on May 13, 2012 12:52:30 PM PDT
This is a story about a man. A man who felt he had developed a potentially life-threatening sickness, only to be told "you're fine". This is a story about this man's struggle to deal with and overcome this all-too-common medical drama. Poked and Prodded- A Humorous Medical Memoir

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:03:00 AM PDT
Rick Terr says:
millennium mysterium by benny lux. read it BEFORE the comet appears later this year if you want a headstart on everyone else
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (161 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  99
Initial post:  Jul 3, 2010
Latest post:  May 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions