Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Blu-ray Sucks! Amazon keeps pushing a format that I hate and will never buy.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 483 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2017, 1:15:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2017, 1:15:52 PM PDT
EdM says:
I think this is due to a fight between Amazon and Disney. I was able to walk up at BB and get a day of issue copy without any problem, and at $20. IMO, it has nothing to do with BD per se. Some retailers would like people to settle for "hi-fi" movies via streaming, but that is NOT Blu-ray Disc quality, much less the forth-coming 4k, UHD. So, if you like a quality movie experience, the only choice is BD or 4k BD.

This is a reason why Amazon gets fewer BD sales from me than before, although there is still plenty of stuff I get here, including more than a few BD titles...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2017, 12:27:53 PM PDT
Raise a big enough stink and maybe they will. But considering Disney also keeps a tight rein on their digital media, Amazon would probably just offer you some sort of rebate or refund on the delayed item. In any event the complaint you have, I'm not saying it's not valid but it's not relevant to the topic where you're posting. Your inability to get this one disc in a timely manner does not prove "blu-ray sucks." And if anything, your inability to get a blu-ray you want might be pushing you getting a digital copy which would disprove the original argument posted that "Amazon keeps pushing a format that I hate and will never buy."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2017, 12:21:59 PM PDT
rramarr says:
Amazon can offer their streaming service, I was not saying that they can alter the availability of the digital copy that comes with the DVD Blu-Ray. As a Prime member they can say, "Since your order is on a significant delay for delivery we are offering you our streaming availability of the movie title while you wait."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2017, 12:14:11 PM PDT
Again that might not be an Amazon thing - the studios can determine whether or not you can get instant digital when you order a blu-ray, and I have in fact made purchases of blu-ray or dvd on amazon in the past where instant digital was included. But in thie case, it's possible Disney said No, you can't offer that option on Rogue One. Disney prefers an approach of offering their content digitally 2 weeks before it's available as physical media, so if you can't wait for digital you buy the stream and then when you feel like you just have to have something tangible in your hands too, you buy the physical copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2017, 12:07:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2017, 12:09:18 PM PDT
rramarr says:
Well I'm not going to be an apologist for Amazon. I am a Amazon/Android products packed household from readers to the Alexa smart home devices. I expect that when I pay for a Prime service, I get prime treatment. To the point, physical media sales are declining in the U.S. DVDs and Blu-ray discs are falling every year while digital revenues rise. Why isn't Amazon offering instant access to their streaming service for purchased physical disc music and movies while they make you wait for delivery? Amazon is not some small business retailer, they know industry sales forecast. Movie distributors depend on them to sell their products to the extent they make Amazon exclusive versions of major movie releases. I don't believe they only ordered enough to satisfy the current pre-order demand when they know they will sell the product for years to come especially when Star Wars is releasing new movies on a hot trend of one a year now that Disney owns the franchise. What I suspect is that they attempted to stall physical disc demands to boost their streaming sells from frustrated and eager customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2017, 11:04:48 AM PDT
Two things
1: Amazon may have ordered enough copies of the movie to satisfy all pre-orders, but that does not mean they received all the orders they copied. Not saying that's what happened, only saying it's possible, if not likely. I worked in brick and mortar stores in the mid 90s where a hot product was an aiwa mini max shelf system. We'd order 10 to keep up with demand and pre-orders, maybe we'd get 10, maybe we'd get 3. Those things happen and it's often not the fault of the store with whom you have a transaction.
2: Maybe the reason all those brick and mortar stores are overflowing with copies of Rogue One is because everyone and their cousin ordered it from Amazon instead.

Posted on Apr 14, 2017, 10:57:40 AM PDT
rramarr says:
Amazon doesn't love Blu-Rays that much when a major film release such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story can't be properly stocked and shipped to Prime members without a SIX weeks waiting period and the same product overflowing at the check-out counter in Target, Best Buy, Walmart, why am i paying for Prime? What Amazon love is there readily available streaming service.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2017, 8:37:51 PM PST
Which is where I'd like the CD go... a format that was "good enough," and then the not even good enough compressed files... so vinyl is back, and when it's done well, sounds as great as ever, but there are jerks pressing ripped CDs onto 180 grams of crap vinyl and its hard to know who to trust. Blu-ray audio discs, and properly mastered and pressed vinyl (doesn't need 180 gr), sounds like a good choice. Man, I hope the media corps don't succeed in killing the physical format. Yeah, I know, off topic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2016, 1:57:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2016, 1:57:44 AM PST
H. Robertson says:
I don't think 4K sucks. But with the quality I get with blu ray already, and the cost of 4K as it is, I can live without it until the price comes down. It's not the must have DVD and Blu ray was to me.

Posted on Dec 15, 2016, 4:37:53 PM PST
Cody Leaf says:
So has the person who started this thread converted over to Blu-Ray?? That was 2010 and it's about to be 2017, he has to have given in by now. Now I am looking forward to his new tread about how 4K sucks and Blu-Rays rules!! :-P

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2016, 1:24:00 PM PST
MikeT says:
EdM.
Yes, agree with everything you said, couldn't resist. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2016, 11:24:42 AM PST
EdM says:
MikeT - Big picture, anyone with HDTV should be interested in high definition Blu-ray Disks, as DVD is standard definition TV. That comment is obviously flame bait, IMO.

Posted on Dec 14, 2016, 11:10:16 AM PST
MikeT says:
I wouldn't say "snobby". Just those with better audio/video equipment, larger screens, and those with better vision and hearing. :)

But yes, for the others, DVD rocks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2016, 10:34:10 PM PST
Neal says:
DVD is better. Rich snobby people buy BluGay

Posted on Jan 25, 2013, 12:32:24 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 25, 2013, 2:42:12 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 25, 2013, 12:26:59 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
hippo

Now you know very well I wasn't dissing CRT, so why bring it up? If you were using it as an example to show that HD DVD is a past format, well, that's obvious. Even HD DVD diehards like me know that. The fact remains HD DVD was a high def format and most of them look every bit as good, and sometimes better, than their BD counterparts, still, today.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013, 11:56:56 AM PST
"Blu Ray discs are vastly superior to their DVD counterparts and anyone who thinks otherwise either does not have an HDTV or needs to go to an optometrist to get their eyes checked. It is not a matter of opinion. It is a fact. Irrefutable."

This is misleading. If you're trying to convert a DVD watcher to a BD watcher, don't get their hopes up that EVERY disc is better, as they may pick the few that are the same or even worse. I can think of a few titles I even own that are just the same transfer used for DVD (or even LD) plopped onto BD. If you have a decent HD set-up, you will notice this annoyance, and imperfections are more apparent.

What bugs me the most are BD transfers that take a mediocre source material, clean it up, then make you see how bad it really was to begin with, and now you just have cleaner crap for a higher price. The biggest offender are the early Doctor Who (recent Who, not original) episodes. The 2005-2009 series were shot as a video source (or sometimes 480i). On BD they look like someone taped it with a camcorder from 20 years ago, but the filter of inferior DVD covers up this flaw. The current series (2010-present) is filmed 1080i, so they look great on BD.

For the most part your words are correct, but in no means does BD solve every transfer problem. The key here is that studios need to take the time and money to make a good HD transfer for BD, not just use whatever happens to be laying around, from say LD, just to make a quick buck. IMO the biggest plus that BD offers is MUCH better, lossless HD sound. DTS HD MA is a god-send.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013, 10:52:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013, 10:54:41 AM PST
hippo says:
Cavardossi

"Black & white CRT TVs are dead and gone...get over it."
Funny, it's still very much alive in my house! Apparently it hasn't gotten the word yet that it's supposed to lie down and die.

"That's great....as long as you're not interested in watching any films in colour."

I have three HDTVs that get heavy use everyday.. Having HDTVs does not preclude also owning a black & white CRT TV. What's with the exclusionary thinking?

Black & white CRT is very much alive!!!

Posted on Jan 25, 2013, 6:06:26 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
hippo

Re HD DVD being still alive in my house

"That's great....as long as you're not interested in watching any films made after 2009."

What are you talking about, friend? I have three Blu-ray players that get heavy use with films both pre and post 2008.. Having HD DVD does not preclude also owning BD. What's with the exclusionary thinking?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013, 4:05:45 AM PST
Complete bullsh...!!!!

Posted on Jan 25, 2013, 3:45:29 AM PST
C. Ryan says:
Bluray is simply amazing. Your probably watching movies on a 13 inch tv that is 30 years old and that is why it seems stupid to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013, 10:13:44 PM PST
turkish says:
it is dead and buried in my house for sure. I still have transformers, matrix trilogy and disturbia HD DVD's sitting around. but I already disconnected the HD DVD player and put it in the back of the closet. it was easier to just re buy the movies instead of let the player clutter space.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013, 6:13:12 PM PST
hippo says:
"Funny, it's still very much alive in my house! Apparently it hasn't gotten the word yet that it's supposed to lie down and die. "

That's great...as long as you're not interested in watching any films made after 2008 ;-p

Posted on Jan 24, 2013, 5:19:17 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Sol Republic Tracks Ultra

"HD DVD is dead and gone...get over it."

Funny, it's still very much alive in my house! Apparently it hasn't gotten the word yet that it's supposed to lie down and die.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013, 4:36:48 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 25, 2013, 5:43:09 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  174
Total posts:  483
Initial post:  Jun 22, 2010
Latest post:  14 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers