Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Thinking of watching rome

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2013, 11:46:45 PM PST
Well i was thinking about buying rome on bluray and watching it, but how does it stack up against some of today's tv, i really enjoy Spartacus and game of thrones, is the acting and script is as good or better then them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013, 12:29:02 AM PST
Wombat75 says:
HBO's "Rome" was an outstanding show. The characters were great, the setting and costumes lent alot towards immersion.

The series is focused on 2 former soldiers, one a Centurion, and another an able but rebellious rank & file soldier. It's set in the late Roman Republic, and they're both affiliated with key historic players, i.e. Julius Caesar, Mark Antony, and a young nobody at the time, Octavian Caesar. There's more historic characters like Pompey the Great, on top of fictional ones that are the part of the two main character's lives. If you know Roman history, especially the Late Republic history, then you know what's generally going to go down in the broad spectrum of things. But you still will get to see what these 2 men go through, and how their families, their lives are intertwined with what happens.

There's violence, sex, nudity. Not sure how Spartacus is since I have not watched it. But there's more of the latter two compared to Game of Thrones. Remember, we *are* talking about the Romans here.

There's only 2 seasons worth, and I really wish they could have done more. I think the cast threw alot into what they could.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013, 4:08:49 AM PST
well Spartacus has the same type of acting as game of thrones, but it has much more fighting and nudity then it, storyline is still heavily there though. Its actually a great show one of my favorites. You should give it a shot. Thanks for the quick sum up of the show i think i will download and episode and see from there if i wanna make the purchase. Was it cancelled after 2 seasons cause i hate when that happens deadwood was a great hbo show and that happened to it ruined it for me cause i like a ending to my shows.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013, 6:15:51 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
The acting and script are much better than Spartacus, for sure. They're about on par with Game of Thrones, which is one of my favorites of all time.

Rome is definitely worth watching. I've watched the seasons 3 times through, they're that good.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013, 6:19:32 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
Do you honestly think Spartacus' acting is up to the same level as in Game of Thrones? I love the first season and the prequel, but it hasn't been near as good since.

War of the Damned has been better than Vengeance so far.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013, 9:05:30 AM PST
i haven't watched the newest season of Spartacus, but I do agree that vengeance was not nearly as good as the first 2 seasons, but I believe that had to do with the actor playing Spartacus dying which will always hurt a series when they have to replace a cast member i know i hated iron man 2 just cause it changed 1 cast member. As for the first 2 seasons yes i believe the acting was as good. Excluding Sean bean because he is my favorite actor and its biased opinion when ever he is in a movie.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013, 9:11:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013, 9:13:14 AM PST
I do like game of thrones a great deal don't get me wrong, I really only watch 3 shows that are on tv right now Spartacus, game of thrones, and The walking dead. Out of those 3 shows most of it is talking and not much action and Spartacus gives a better balance for me with a little more action then the others. Game of thrones has given much more action in season 2 though. Maybe I'm not the best person to make reviews because my all time favorite shows are the stargate series all 3 of them i watch over and over.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013, 5:22:03 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
You'll like Rome, trust me. Also many other HBO shows are top quality. It may be expensive, but check out Deadwood.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013, 11:10:46 PM PST
Yeah I watched deadwood I wrote about that in the earlier post but I hated that it got cancelled so no true ending. Great show was supposed to be a movie to finish it but it still hasn't happened chances are it never will. I wish when popular shows get cancelled they would atleast give us a book or something to finish it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in 3D 11 18 days ago
Why are BluRay DVD's so ugly? And can we lose the blue? 74 18 days ago
Season 7 of Adventure Time. No Blu Ray release unless you're in Australia. Import won't work because it's locked to Region B. 1 22 days ago
What does "Digital Copy" mean? 35 23 days ago
Are steel books worth the price ? 18 Aug 2, 2017
DVD vs Blu Ray 262 Jul 27, 2017
Condition of used blu-ray cases in marketplace often mispresented 24 Jul 11, 2017
anyone know why you can't preorder disney blurays (moana, doctor strange, & rogue one) 26 Jul 9, 2017
What happened to Blu-ray at Walmart? 122 Jun 16, 2017
Created order with a preorder item in it 1 Jun 15, 2017
What good is a 4K television really? 360 Jun 6, 2017
Amazon now Charging Tax! 964 Jun 6, 2017

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer