Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Blu-ray Sucks! Amazon keeps pushing a format that I hate and will never buy.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 469 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 25, 2013 12:32:24 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 25, 2013 2:42:12 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 12:26:59 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
hippo

Now you know very well I wasn't dissing CRT, so why bring it up? If you were using it as an example to show that HD DVD is a past format, well, that's obvious. Even HD DVD diehards like me know that. The fact remains HD DVD was a high def format and most of them look every bit as good, and sometimes better, than their BD counterparts, still, today.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 11:56:56 AM PST
"Blu Ray discs are vastly superior to their DVD counterparts and anyone who thinks otherwise either does not have an HDTV or needs to go to an optometrist to get their eyes checked. It is not a matter of opinion. It is a fact. Irrefutable."

This is misleading. If you're trying to convert a DVD watcher to a BD watcher, don't get their hopes up that EVERY disc is better, as they may pick the few that are the same or even worse. I can think of a few titles I even own that are just the same transfer used for DVD (or even LD) plopped onto BD. If you have a decent HD set-up, you will notice this annoyance, and imperfections are more apparent.

What bugs me the most are BD transfers that take a mediocre source material, clean it up, then make you see how bad it really was to begin with, and now you just have cleaner crap for a higher price. The biggest offender are the early Doctor Who (recent Who, not original) episodes. The 2005-2009 series were shot as a video source (or sometimes 480i). On BD they look like someone taped it with a camcorder from 20 years ago, but the filter of inferior DVD covers up this flaw. The current series (2010-present) is filmed 1080i, so they look great on BD.

For the most part your words are correct, but in no means does BD solve every transfer problem. The key here is that studios need to take the time and money to make a good HD transfer for BD, not just use whatever happens to be laying around, from say LD, just to make a quick buck. IMO the biggest plus that BD offers is MUCH better, lossless HD sound. DTS HD MA is a god-send.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 10:52:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 10:54:41 AM PST
hippo says:
Cavardossi

"Black & white CRT TVs are dead and gone...get over it."
Funny, it's still very much alive in my house! Apparently it hasn't gotten the word yet that it's supposed to lie down and die.

"That's great....as long as you're not interested in watching any films in colour."

I have three HDTVs that get heavy use everyday.. Having HDTVs does not preclude also owning a black & white CRT TV. What's with the exclusionary thinking?

Black & white CRT is very much alive!!!

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 6:06:26 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
hippo

Re HD DVD being still alive in my house

"That's great....as long as you're not interested in watching any films made after 2009."

What are you talking about, friend? I have three Blu-ray players that get heavy use with films both pre and post 2008.. Having HD DVD does not preclude also owning BD. What's with the exclusionary thinking?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 4:05:45 AM PST
Complete bullsh...!!!!

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 3:45:29 AM PST
C. Ryan says:
Bluray is simply amazing. Your probably watching movies on a 13 inch tv that is 30 years old and that is why it seems stupid to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 10:13:44 PM PST
turkish says:
it is dead and buried in my house for sure. I still have transformers, matrix trilogy and disturbia HD DVD's sitting around. but I already disconnected the HD DVD player and put it in the back of the closet. it was easier to just re buy the movies instead of let the player clutter space.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 6:13:12 PM PST
hippo says:
"Funny, it's still very much alive in my house! Apparently it hasn't gotten the word yet that it's supposed to lie down and die. "

That's great...as long as you're not interested in watching any films made after 2008 ;-p

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 5:19:17 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Sol Republic Tracks Ultra

"HD DVD is dead and gone...get over it."

Funny, it's still very much alive in my house! Apparently it hasn't gotten the word yet that it's supposed to lie down and die.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 4:36:48 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 25, 2013 5:43:09 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 3:38:41 PM PST
Daniel says:
HD-DVD is dead and gone... get over it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 5:40:40 AM PST
And DivX too.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 7:24:59 PM PST
George S says:
Blu Ray discs are vastly superior to their DVD counterparts and anyone who thinks otherwise either does not have an HDTV or needs to go to an optometrist to get their eyes checked. It is not a matter of opinion. It is a fact. Irrefutable. As for the price, you can buy any new release for less than $20, not the $30-40 previously mentioned by another user. Just a word of advice for future postings, don't just make up information or state your opinion when you have no evidence to support your claim. If you do, you will get 455...now 456 responses telling you that you are wrong. It's not just a coincidence, and no, the world is not out to get you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 5:53:14 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 23, 2013 5:56:31 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 12:47:09 PM PST
Retired Nerd says:
I guess they want laservision back to. He proly has an Intellivsion and thinks thats better then the x box.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 11:31:28 AM PST
turkish says:
those who cant see quality difference between Blu ray VS DVD. more power to you, nothing wrong with that. my mom and dad cant see the difference either. so stick with your dvd player, or youtube videos, netflix, Hulu, digital copy, apple tv, etc etc for that matter, on the other side, I can totally tell the difference, at this moment nothing is out there that comes close to blu ray quality, so I am pretty much content with the format. no one is pushing blu ray down anybody's throat, if you don't like it, then don't buy it.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 8:38:17 AM PST
Vesicles says:
Many factors play into the PQ. One of them does not necessarily have an effect. Some of these factors:
1) HDTV resolution: is it 1080p? Many TVs sold on the market now are 720p or 1080i. It makes a huge difference.
2) With the 1080p HDTV, what size is it? IMHO, it has to be at least 40" and up if you want to see a significant difference between BD and DVD.
3) The player. are you still using that old DVD upconversion player? Go and get a BD player. If you are contemplating buying a whole bunch of BDs that costs ~$25 each, you WILL have the money to buy a $50 BD player
4) cable. Go and get a cheap $10 HDMI cable.
5) distance you sit from the TV. If you have a 40" HDTV and you sit 15' away, you will NOT be able to see anything!! Sit closer
6) lighting in the room. Although we are not talking about those projection TVs any more, lighting is still important. If you place your TV facing the windows, you will NOT see anything, let alone some comparatively minute differences between BD and DVD. If your TV is in a well-lit room, you will not be able to see things clearly.
7) calibration. EVERY HDTV MUST be calibrated when you get them home. Every TV has been set to factory settings out of box. It's like spending $500 on a department store suit. Guess what, it won't fit you perfectly. We all have different bodies. So if you want your suit to fit perfectly, get it tailor-made. The same idea goes here. We all have different eyes and different brains that control our perception of what is good/bad/awesome. A uniform factory setting will not be able to satisfy all of us. If you want it to be perfect for you, you have to change the settings and MAKE it display the way you want it to.
8) You have train yourself to know what to look for when judging PQ. My mother-in-law still thinks her 27" tube is as good as our 60" LCD LED 1080p HDTV displaying BD as well as our 51" plasma 1080p HDTV...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 3:23:50 AM PST
Bourne1886 says:
Karl I also live in England and my 8, two 11 year olds and 15 year old sons can tell the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray on our 40 inch Full 1080P LED Samsung. Even the Wife can,who wasn't bothered whether we got a HD tele or not until she saw the the big upgrade. You don't need a huge screen to notice the difference. Have you seen Lawrence of Arabia,Terminator,Ben Hur or Patton (2012) for example? The PQ on those BDs are amazing. I defy you not to see a difference between them on BD and their DVD counterpart.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 4:43:54 AM PST
Thank you it's nice to see someone on with with common sense,regarding this debate I was beginning to think it was my eyesight,but I recently showed a BLU-RAY and DVD the same films in fact to 4 young people all under 21 viewed on a 40 inch TV and none of them could tell the difference so I think you need a huge screen that very few people have,I live in England where the average size TV screen is 32 inches.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:48:33 PM PST
compsciguy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:59:35 AM PST
Bart Fargo says:
Don't give in to the evils that is blu-ray that you strongly hate,ok? Don't make Amazon force you to buy any blu-rays in the near future.Wait a minute,how is Amazon pushing it on you? You have a choice,don't you? Just because they sell it doesn't mean you HAVE to buy it,right? So,what are you whining about? Here's an idea:grow a pair and man up.Don't buy something you don't want,like don't let that salesman make you buy that shirt you don't like or those shoes you don't like;etc...You don't have freewill??

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:02:15 AM PST
JD says:
This nonsense should be removed. It is a waste of space and has no value.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:15:13 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 1:09:33 AM PST
Fred says:
a typical Microsoft loving American idiot. Microsoft BRIBED MOVIE STUDIOS to back a dead platform HD DVD, a format they didn't even support internally in their PC BOX 180 DVD player. I guess he loves paying for fake HD upscaled PCBOX180 DVD player games that are only worth $20 or less rather than the rip off of paying $60 for a 8GB game. If he wears glasses he should throw them away since he loves seeing the world in lower resolutions than can be enjoyed by superior technologies like Blu-ray HD, 3D PS3 capable machines. How will this goof feel when MicroBRIBE has to face reality and finally jump onto Blu-ray drives for their PCBOX720?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  171
Total posts:  469
Initial post:  Jun 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions