Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

UV Digital Copy Hate

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 372 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012, 3:28:51 PM PST
Dahamma says:
"If they want UV to be ubiquitous, why exclude iTunes? If you can't answer that question you are missing the point."

Apple/iTunes isn't excluded from UV, Apple chooses not to join UV (because they *want* to keep everything in their ecosystem, locking down content to iTunes sells more hardware). If you have a problem with that, blame Apple, not the studios or UV...

Posted on Nov 29, 2012, 9:13:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012, 9:16:43 PM PST
EdM says:
If truth be told, no one forces anyone to BUY iTunes, as it's free. Not only that, but Apple doesn't even make any HDTVs or BD Players, so you don't have to buy anything Apple to use iTunes.

Just to bring a little truth to objections about having to BUY Apple products. If not iTunes, what other single product serves the purpose? With UV, there are many different things or companies that are involved, so it's significantly more complicated. Usually, Apple products are easier to use, IMO. It's the old KISS principle, keep it simple, stupid, so it is easier for everyone to use. YMMV.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012, 10:25:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012, 10:27:11 PM PST
Dahamma says:
"If truth be told, no one forces anyone to BUY iTunes, as it's free. Not only that, but Apple doesn't even make any HDTVs or BD Players, so you don't have to buy anything Apple to use iTunes."

This is about iTunes the store, not iTunes the PC app.

So then, name one non-Apple phone, tablet, or set-top box that lets you watch video purchased from iTunes. The *only* non-Apple product that supports it is on Windows, and that's a computer (which IMO is a horrible way to watch a movie). Sure you can plug a Windows PC into your TV, but that's another horrible user experience (definitely not "KISS"!).

To replace DVDs and BDs digital solutions need to work foremost on your TV, and AppleTV is the only iTunes solution there. As for non iTunes solutions, the best one is VUDU (which is also in Ultraviolet so any UV purchases are in the UV locker, streamable on almost all devices, and is about as KISS as it comes). Other usable ones are Microsoft/Zune (good for Xbox users), Amazon (not the best, but on many TVs/BD players), etc.

Anyway, UV has its implementation issues at the moment, but the fact is you are getting a permanent right to the movie you buy regardless of any one service or platform. And early next year it will start supporting CFF download, which will let you download a digital version of the movie to play back offline on any devices that have a CFF player (which will be most device that support playing from a file, eventually).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012, 8:01:05 AM PST
C Barbus says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012, 8:19:28 AM PST
Same thing can be said for Apple iTunes, Xbox Video and etc. That's why I always buy a physical copy! They can't take that away. UV is trying to set itself up so that if one company closes, your collection will live on as long as there is another provider. So instead of relying on one company, you have multiple companies. That builds some redundancy versus using only a single company solution, such as iTunes and then if goes up in flames, all your media is gone with it.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012, 9:21:23 AM PST
EdM says:
"digital solutions need to work foremost on your TV, and AppleTV is the only iTunes solution there. As for non iTunes solutions, the best one is VUDU (which is also in Ultraviolet so any UV purchases are in the UV locker, streamable on almost all devices, and is about as KISS as it comes)."

If a UV solution must work on your [HD]TV, and UV is an adjunct to BD physical disks, I can't imagine why anyone would throw away the quality of BD Audio [especially, lossless audio] as well as the high BD video quality, by using anything other than the physical Blu-ray disk.

If there's a problem with using a Windows laptop for travel/portable watching of movies, that's hardly Apple's fault. Maybe Win 8 will be a decent solution, at least after Win 8, SP1 or SP2 comes out.

With most greedy cable and other online providers charging an arm, leg and first-born son for modest online speed, streaming would seem a non-starter for anyone who is interested in a quality movie experience. The US lags behind many other countries in internet speed, not to mention what is technically possible.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/16/worlds-fastest-internet_n_1154065.html

"... rate equivalent to moving two million gigabytes -- or 100,000 full Blu-ray discs -- in a single day...

"By comparison, Verizon's FIOS network, which offers some of the fastest speeds available to the public in the U.S., comes in at a mere 150 Mbps, less than one one-thousandth of the speeds achieved in this test..."

Posted on Nov 30, 2012, 10:53:26 AM PST
A M says:
"If they want UV to be ubiquitous, why exclude iTunes? If you can't answer that question you are missing the point."

Actually, Apple is not excluded. The Flixster app is available on iOS for iPod, iPads, iPhones to watch UV movies.

"If a UV solution must work on your [HD]TV, and UV is an adjunct to BD physical disks, I can't imagine why anyone would throw away the quality of BD Audio [especially, lossless audio] as well as the high BD video quality, by using anything other than the physical Blu-ray disk. "

This shows how limited your thinking is. Right now they are giving away UV copies as extras with Blu Rays to introduce people to it. But it is possible to buy UV movies without the physical disc from various websites. I have nine UV movies, only one of them came with a physical disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012, 11:52:03 AM PST
EdM says:
A M > "This shows how limited your thinking is."

No, I shows how much I value high PQ and AQ. Life is too short to waste it in ~2 hour chunks, watching low quality A/V dreck, when for a few $$, I can experience BD excellence on my high quality HT setup. Everyone has their own personal situation and must make their own compromises. For me, anything streamed has given up lossless audio as well as gained compression artifacts, etc. That's not my choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012, 1:15:05 PM PST
A M says:
@EdM

You missed my point entirely. I was pointing out your limited thinking in that UV is solely "an adjunct to BD physical disks." Yes, they are a "bonus" feature on many DVDs and BD disks. But that is not the only way to buy UV movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012, 1:35:35 PM PST
C.J. Roebuck says:
Maybe we should say "acquire UV movies"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012, 1:49:00 PM PST
EdM says:
Nothing missed at all. Regardless of how one came by a μV movie:

I am unaware of any μV movie, except possibly Ultraviolet [Blu-ray], if you include LPCM, that has high quality lossless, e.g., Dolby TrueHD audio or DTS HD Master audio. It's pretty much the first thing discarded for lower bandwidth when streaming, as you really do know, don't you? {Also quality forgone for video...}

Even the OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player that I'm about to move up to [from an OPPO BDP-83SE] can't restore lossless audio that has been given up for μV.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012, 3:13:36 PM PST
UltraViolet's Common File Format (CFF) hasn't been implemented yet and won't be available until early next year. The specifications for the format is supposed to include Lossless audio! So UltraViolet will provide lossless audio, I believe support is included for DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD. Currently streaming does not allow for that, but in the future after the release of the CFF, it may be possible to see lossless audio in streams, but if not, at least we will have it via downloading the UV Title.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012, 4:05:47 PM PST
A M says:
"I am unaware of any μV movie, except possibly Ultraviolet [Blu-ray], if you include LPCM, that has high quality lossless, e.g."

Then your problem isn't with UV, but with all streaming and digital copies. Which include Apple's iTunes. This originated from you pointing out that iTunes is free, but failed to recognize that any hardware to play it (except for computers) has to be from apple (ie: iPods, iPhones, iPads, or TVs). It may be simple to you (the KISS rule you invoked). But it is not smart business since the majority of cell phones are Androids and iPads are losing their share of the tablet market as more are introduced. The more avenues through which your product is available, the more likely people are to buy it. iTunes kept it simple by being a monopoly. Having no choice always makes things easy.

If PQ and AQ are paramount to you, then even iTunes HD copies and Netflix HD streaming have heavy compression. Technically, BD has heavy compression too... But that is getting off topic.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 2:38:08 PM PST
Bourne1886 says:
My BD of The Bourne Legacy has an ultra violet copy that is in HD, I think UV is starting to up its game!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012, 7:25:41 AM PST
It's been upping it for a while! Every UV copy I've redeemed has provided HD quality playback, even older titles. Although, older titles when they first came out did only provide SD copies, but I only started redeeming them in the past 2 months and they were all HD now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012, 8:06:45 AM PST
P Brassinga says:
I don't understand it completely myself, not to mention the confusion created when many Blu-ray (especially new release) come with the blu, dvd,dig,download disk and the UV. Why not one or the other of the last two mentioned? In my trials and frustration the UV is no use to me except for the hoops and hurdles to conquer in the effort to install this in my pc,(about 30% success rate). I find myself waiting awhile to obtain the Blu minus these so called extras because I refuse to pay for this UV "Benefit". Until at least the price drops then it may be acceptable.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012, 8:12:03 AM PST
My blu-rays come with UV. So I'm not paying anything for it because I already bought the disc. I've never installed any software because I can simply stream the movie via site's like Vudu. However, I guess I would have too for offline viewing but I haven't needed to yet. I'm waiting for the CFF before I begin downloading all my titles for offline watching.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012, 8:22:20 AM PST
June Jones says:
Plays fine on Windows Media Player

Posted on Dec 2, 2012, 8:28:33 AM PST
June Jones says:
For me it came down to the 1st time I really wanted to watch a UV movie & couldn't because I didn't have an internet connection in the mountains while at a chalet. WiFi was on the fritz. I then pulled out my laptop & watched another movie which I had a physical digital copy of. I knew then that UV streamed version wasn't going to be my personal preference in contrast to an actual copy. My issue is simply about ownership. If I had to stream movies via iTunes, I wouldn't like it either

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012, 8:34:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012, 8:34:59 AM PST
"For me it came down to the 1st time I really wanted to watch a UV movie & couldn't because I didn't have an internet connection in the mountains while at a chalet. WiFi was on the fritz. I then pulled out my laptop & watched another movie which I had a physical digital copy of. I knew then that UV streamed version wasn't going to be my personal preference in contrast to an actual copy. My issue is simply about ownership. If I had to stream movies via iTunes, I wouldn't like it either"

UV is still in it's infancy. Right now, dowloads suck for when it comes to UV (personal opinion). I won't argue that. That's largely due to every provider having there own way of doing it. UV has the specification for a universal download called the CFF (Common File Format). These will not be available until early next year. This will solve the offline problem your describing but also bring a standard to the UV digital copy. Sadly, we just have to wait a bit longer until we get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012, 8:39:01 AM PST
June Jones says:
Exactly. I would love to free up space on my hard drive! Until then, I'll have the blu ray with a little digital copy on the side. Au gratin...if you don't mind

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012, 10:53:07 AM PST
You can download UV copies and watch offline on your laptop through Flixter or Vudu. Plus, once you've redeemed the code you have the option of downloading and the erasing it as many times as you want. Doing that with iTunes is a pain with neck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012, 5:04:13 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012, 5:49:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012, 5:54:54 AM PST
UV copies are good for life.

The first sentence of the UV terms for UV Rights clearly states:

"UltraViolet Rights
When an Account Member adds an UltraViolet title to the Account's Collection, the record of this title does not expire and will remain in the Collection unless an Account Member deletes it, or if the Account is terminated by a Member."

No such thing as a limit for how long its good for... Now technically there are other things that have a time limit with UV. However, your movies are not just going to vanish from your account in three years because the time limit your stating doesn't exist...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012, 2:11:11 PM PST
If that is so, then I appologize for my apparently errant post, however the point remains that UV has not become a strong and viable format yet, and studio's unwillingness to maintain their prior support of itunes is unreasonable.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  118
Total posts:  372
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers