Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

total recall 2012 blu ray defect

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 21, 2017, 11:15:00 AM PST
Boz says:
I had my glitches with that BD, when I bought my copy just last month. I found that using the Maxwell lens cleaner and rebooting the blue ray to factory settings, put an end to the stutter and chapter jumping as well as the loading/spinning noise every so often.. God that really ruins an evening. Maybe rebooting the BD cleared a cache and allowed it to go back to being a progressive play mode type machine.

Posted on Jan 21, 2017, 7:45:16 AM PST
Boz says:
I had my glitches with that BD, when I bought my copy just last month. I found that using the Maxwell lens cleaner and rebooting the blue ray to factory settings, put an end to the stutter and chapter jumping as well as the loading/spinning noise every so often.. God that really ruins an evening. Maybe rebooting the BD cleared a cache and allowed it to go back to being a progressive play mode type machine.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2014, 6:16:51 AM PDT
H. E. Paul says:
Thanks Deepak! I'll see if I can exchange it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2014, 3:26:19 AM PDT
Deepak Ravi says:
Paul: I don't think there is any solution for that edition. I ended up getting the Mastered in 4K edition, and that plays without any glitch.

Posted on Aug 17, 2014, 8:37:23 PM PDT
H. E. Paul says:
I've got the exact same problem. I have the 3disc extended edition set. Sound cuts out in the apartment scene on both discs and several other places throughout the film. I've updated my PS3 and Yamaha receiver to the latest firmware with no luck yet.

Posted on Nov 4, 2013, 6:07:29 AM PST
Sorry to be out of topic. My Spiderman 2 blu ray which contain the 2.1 version that carry the Dolby truhd track is also having audio dropout problem. Have anyone overhere encounter these problem?

Posted on Nov 1, 2013, 3:21:04 PM PDT
Ian Langford says:
Mine freezes up during the apartment scenes; whichever version of the film I watch, it sticks, then jumps ahead. My player is a slimline PS3. The special features disc works perfectly though... tempted to just buy it as a download, but then I'd just get the theatrical, not the extended cut.

Posted on Sep 5, 2013, 9:31:53 PM PDT
bige9888 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2013, 11:00:45 AM PDT
EdM says:
LBJ, Karen Clarkson, etc.: C. Barbus [on Jan 7, the first page of this thread] pointed out the audio problem and the procedure to get a revised disc.

LBJ: "quality control at disc manufacturer factory seems to slowly be going to hell! they must be hiring high school drop-outs!"

Would you say the same thing if your PC experienced a bug? Not all computer programs will work perfectly on all the various PCs. Likewise, though much less likely, a few BD movies will have problems on some players, or even the occasional sample defect. A BD player is a computing device, but the reward is the greatly improved quality via BD over DVD.

The aspect of -> 4k up -> 2k down is an over-simplification. The new master [advertised as mastered for 4k, incorrectly IMO] does allow for audio mix fixes. However, the main thing is that the new master has a healthy increase in the bit rate of the movie [both audio and video], as stated in this review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Total-Recall-Blu-ray/63570/#Review

"Watching the "Mastered in 4K" transfer in 1080p does yield some benefits ... even if it's not a true 4K experience. The discs take advantage of a significantly higher bitrate than regular old Blu-ray discs, meaning more muscle to produce the finest picture quality, revealing superior details and showcasing that perfect cinematic, pleasing grain texturing for pictures photographed on film ...

"It's obviously not a significant leap, but the image takes on a noticeably tighter appearance..."

The higher bit rate requires more of the total possible disc space [on a dual layer BD, 50 GB], and consequently there are almost no extras. A lot more of the 50GB digital data storage space has been used for reproducing A/V movie data.

The original video data stream was quite good, so for many people, the improvements in video may not be perceptible on their gear. In the High Def Digest review, you can click on the reviewer's name, to see his equipment, and it appears that a Marantz SR6006 7.2 A/V receiver is doing the conversion of both Audio and Video. This is a high quality unit, although some people will have better Audio and Video DACs and circuitry in their gear.

So, some people will perceive improved video [more than that reviewer did with his gear] and others with more ordinary video circuitry will not due to the original's already high quality video. Most people should be able to perceive the improved audio, if they A/B compare the two versions. Everyone will be able to note the presence or lack of extras between the two versions, particularly the expanded version of the movie on the original BD release.

For those who value that extended version, the audio "fix" works with the first version, and each individual's tradeoff will be whatever compromise appeals to each individual viewer.

Posted on Sep 5, 2013, 7:16:04 AM PDT
B. Armitage says:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8983/total_recall_2012_4k.html

So the sound is not only "fixed" it's vastly improved, the video seems unchanged beside the 4k up then down conversion. The reviewer claims it's the theatrical version at 188 min, but the extended veresion already out on Blu is also 118... so who knows?

Posted on Sep 5, 2013, 6:53:25 AM PDT
B. Armitage says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013, 10:59:22 AM PDT
Same problem with the uk disc, hopefully the rerelease will solve this problem

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2013, 10:36:38 AM PDT
LJB says:
i have oppo 93 also and my dts master audio cuts out a lot also on total recall 2012. easy fix for this @"5!up from disc manufacturer is to switch audio output on the oppo 93 from bitstream to pcm in the audio output menu. wa-la! problem fixed! same great sound as dts master audio! this is the only blu ray disc i have ever had this problem with. quality control at disc manufacturer factory seems to slowly be going to hell! they must be hiring high school drop-outs!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2013, 9:43:12 AM PDT
EdM says:
One review of Total Recall (Mastered in 4k) is found here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Total-Recall-Blu-ray/63570/#Review

"Sony is recalling the days of its "Superbit" DVD releases with the emergence of "Mastered in 4K" (*) Blu-ray discs. ... new transfers are sourced from 4K masters but here's where the giant asterisk comes in: they're then downscaled to standard Blu-ray 1080p resolution...
The discs take advantage of a significantly higher bitrate..."

Set forth in the review is that it is only the theatrical release. In a given [50 Gb dual layer] disc, using that higher bit rate means that the disc is filled with more data per second of movie, e.g. Thus, compromises like few/no extras, no extended version, etc., balanced against improved PQ and AQ.

Note that the reviewer gets it wrong at the end of the review, "particularly for anyone without the state-of-the-art 4K television sets to watch it on." IMO, this shows the extent of misunderstanding since the movie has been clearly down-sampled from 4k to 1080p, as above. Especially if one has a high quality 1080p HDTV, the "Superbit" kind of quality improvements will be clearly apparent.

According to one post in a forum at highdefdigest, the size of the standard version was only 18.5 GB [plenty of extra room on the disc], while the Mi4k version uses ~41-42 GB [of 50 GB max].

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/131013-total-recall-2012-mastered-4k-high-def-digest-review.html#post2394116

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2013, 1:04:32 PM PDT
Except no Extended Cut I believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2013, 1:09:51 AM PDT
@Dennis

is it the directors cut or just the normal cut?? because it seems to be only the normal cut.

Posted on May 25, 2013, 10:04:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2013, 10:05:57 AM PDT
M. Breedon says:
I have just returned my copy as my player just says disk unreadable, was sent another and this one does the same, any ideas?

My player has latest firmware as updated to try to resolve the issue.

Posted on May 22, 2013, 5:18:18 PM PDT
Dennis says:
Get this version Total Recall (Mastered in 4K) (Single-Disc Blu-ray + Ultra Violet Digital Copy) (2012) Clean all way.

Posted on May 22, 2013, 5:07:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 22, 2013, 5:12:41 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013, 11:13:54 AM PDT
EdM says:
BTW - From this review at HighDefDigest, the audio is much improved.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8983/total_recall_2012_4k.html#Section4

So, if you're a fan, go for it. Despite the inarguable technical superiority of PQ and AQ of this version over the 1990 film, I find the story easier to follow in the 1990 version, and who can forget, e.g., the Governator line, "Consider this a divorce"?

IMO, the through the Earth elevator idea is even worse fake science than going to Mars. Not to mention that Australia isn't even geographically opposite to Great Britain, hence no center of the earth mid-point ...

http://xevio.us/douglas/total-recall-bad-mathematics

and

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/onlinestuff/snot/could_you_dig_your_way_through_the_earth_to_australia.aspx

"Why not?!
"Because Australia isn't exactly opposite the UK on Earth.

"What?! Well, what is, then?
"Nothing, I'm afraid. Digging straight down from the UK, you'd pop out somewhere south of New Zealand, in the middle of the Antarctic Ocean. Probably quite annoyed with yourself."

I'm reminded in the manner of a Forrest Gump-ism, about stupid science in the 2012 film. Of course, YMMV.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013, 11:50:45 PM PDT
EdM says:
Not more true to the original story. The original Philip K. Dick story had Mars as a main plot line, which the 2012 version movie lacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Can_Remember_It_for_You_Wholesale

"Plot summary

"Douglas Quail, a simple and ordinary clerk, wishes to visit Mars. Unable to afford it, he visits a company, REKAL (pronounced "recall") Incorporated, which promises to implant an "extra-factual memory" of a trip to Mars as a secret agent. The procedure involves administration of narkidrine, a sedative and truth drug, which causes Quail to remember and reveal that he actually did go to Mars as a secret government agent...

[The 2012 version] "largely follows along the lines of the first film. It includes numerous references and nods to the 1990 film, but removes the Mars element..."

Both versions ignore the original Dick story ending, with a return to REKAL.

Posted on May 20, 2013, 10:19:51 AM PDT
Norman Wolf says:
You may not like the new version of the movie, but it is truer to the original story than the old Schwarzneggar version.

Posted on May 19, 2013, 4:39:05 PM PDT
Roy Zander says:
no, Shane - I meant a legitimate review. Not some blowhard spitting into the wind.
The discs audio issues are well documented - and not just by the posters on this forum,
(if you even bothered to read them). Sorry I don't own that top of the line Sampo or Emerson
like you.
BTW, complaining about a discs problems before making sure your firmware is
updated would be stupid, wouldn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013, 10:22:29 PM PDT
shane mcbain says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013, 10:20:14 PM PDT
shane mcbain says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Dec 29, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers