Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

When will Digital Copies be provided by Amazon.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2013 3:30:21 PM PST
I have a new Kindle HD and I have all these digital down loads for various movies but I can't add them to my kindle and browse them like I would with any video rental/purchase I have from amazon. Instead I have to put it on my kindle via the usb and browse the files using ES file explorer just so I can see the names of the videos I have loaded.

I believe the kindle needs an iTunes type of software package to load videos and music to my kindle so that we can get our full potential out of the HD.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:43:48 PM PST
Otter0911 says:
Try MovieGallery...

MoviePlayerApp

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:36:06 PM PST
EdM says:
There are multiple issues with what you want to do. It is somewhat complex, due to the various types of digital copies there are from various content providers, and over different times.

The big picture is that for many of them, you have to be able to download the digital copy to your computer, and then when the file type is not correct for Kindle HD, you will have to convert it, or buy a software package to do so. See this, from the Kindle forum:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx3K7LW8160VK86

"Kindle fire hd and ultraviolet"

This discussion refers to using the Flixster app, and several posts have info on doing what you want. There also seem to be certain issues or specifics that you have to account for.

There might be more info in another discussion on the Kindle forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:43:56 PM PST
EdM says:
One more thing - "When will Digital Copies be provided by Amazon"?

Digital copies are provided by the content provider, e.g. Columbia, Lionsgate, Universal, Warner Brothers, etc., that is, movie/TV companies. As Amazon does not own the content, but only sells movies/TV shows, Amazon is unlikely to ever provide something that they do not own. Instead, they or some App developer(s) may provide an App that can do some or all of what you want.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 7:10:09 AM PST
A M says:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-01-11/amazon-ultraviolet-movies/52495788/1

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:43:15 AM PST
Then EdM why is it you have a choice of downloading the movie from iTunes. Isn't it apple who is providing and probably getting some kickback from the studio. the other option is usually windows media player which I have not personally done because I have ipods I can play movies on and the Kindle fire supports MP4 and not wmv.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 8:04:24 AM PST
Otter0911 says:
Some studios do give a option for a copy on Amazon. The few I can think of...Super 8, Jaws, The Bourne movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 11:03:59 AM PST
EdM says:
"why is it you have a choice of downloading the movie from iTunes."

Some digital copy movies are only available through ultraviolet and/or something else, NOT iTunes. Some people (including me) dislike UltraViolet, as in several discussions/threads in this forum, as "ultra violet is _rap". Apple was first to market a successful tablet, the iPad [distinct from laptops, e.g.] good for video, and Apple provided a way to get content to support their platform. Thus, video via the iTunes store, software and distribution agreements with various studios. OTOH, there are apps used on Apple's iOS devices for content that is not available via the iTunes store, analogous to similar apps for Kindle.

"the other option is usually windows media player ... I have ipods ... and the Kindle fire supports MP4 and not wmv."

iPods and iPads do not support wmv, either. OTOH, There are various subsections of MP4, so it is not clear if iOS devices and Kindle [Android OS] devices use the same format or not. The respective screen sizes and screen dpi are different, at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindle_Fire_HD

"Operating system Android OS 4.0 ...

"Online services | Amazon Prime, Amazon Cloud Storage, Amazon Cloud Player, Amazon Instant video, Amazon Silk, Amazon App Store, Amazon Kindle Store"

These Amazon online services seem along the line of Apple services. I have no idea what fee arrangements are involved in any of the distribution deals that exist. When YOU CHOOSE a Kindle device, you also choose to use Amazon/Android ancillary services. I have no connection to any of these.

If you have grief because Kindle devices are not equivalent to Apple devices [Apple is more expensive], your compromise to save on device cost seems a "you get what you pay for" thing. OTOH, I'm sure Amazon is working to improve their services. It seems that there are Kindle Pro people over in the Kindle forum. Here's a review of the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and compares it to iPad and other devices, including other Kindles.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/amazon-kindle-fire-hd/4505-3126_7-35437746.html

You might best direct your questions to Amazon, and the Kindle forum seems quite relevant.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 1:13:23 PM PST
A M says:
"As Amazon does not own the content, but only sells movies/TV shows, Amazon is unlikely to ever provide something that they do not own."

Technically, doesn't own anything they provide or sell. They are a retailer.

"Isn't it apple who is providing and probably getting some kickback from the studio."

It's not a "kick-back." Retailers get a cut. Whether it is Apple, Amazon, Macy's, Bed Bath and Beyond. Manufacturer's sell stuff to retailers for more than it costs to make. And retailers sell it to the public for more than it cost to buy.

Amazon does have it's mp3 store available which acts as an mp3 player for locally stored music and does allow you to stream music from the cloud that you had bought from them. They also have the flixster app which lets you play ultraviolet digital copies.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions