Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Dark Knight Rises on Blu

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 24, 2012, 2:30:35 PM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Do you think the IMAX footage of Dark Knight Rises will be available on the blu ray?

Posted on Jul 24, 2012, 2:41:24 PM PDT
warrian says:
Can't imagine it won't be. I think the question is will it be an option to choose or a way audiences are forced to watch the movie like on The Dark Knight blu. I kind of like the aspect ratio changes (really loved them in TRON: Legacy for example) but I know lot of folks find it distracting and would at least like the alternative of shutting it off.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012, 2:58:16 PM PDT
Justin says:
I don't know that it's possible to disable the IMAX sequences without totally jacking up the aspect ratio. Plus, why would you want to? That's how it was filmed, so that's how it's going to be presented on the Blu-ray.

But yes, I'm sure the IMAX footage will be presented in its original form on the Blu-ray release.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012, 7:07:38 PM PDT
JMM says:
Given that The Dark Knight was released with IMAX scenes intact, I'd imagine Nolan would want the same for TDKR.

But as warrian says, it would be nice if there was an option of regular vs. IMAX, since some people prefer the aspect ratio to remain the same throughout.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012, 9:19:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2012, 9:32:57 AM PDT
A M says:
"But yes, I'm sure the IMAX footage will be presented in its original form on the Blu-ray release."

Actually, that is not correct. The IMAX sequences in both films were full IMAX with an aspect ratio of 1.44:1. The Blu Ray of TDK cropped all the IMAX footage to 16x9. The only way to get the movie in it's "original" form is to pillar box all the IMAX footage and then shrink down the 35mm sequences and window box them so their width is the same as the IMAX footage.

From my mind set, since it is impossible to see a difference between the IMAX footage and 35mm film on High Def I feel it should be like it is in 35mm presentations with the whole thing cropped to 2.39.

The changing aspect ratio has an impact on a large IMAX screen. You can see added clarity in the IMAX footage compared to the uprezzed 35mm. That is lost when the IMAX footage is printed down to 35mm hence the reason it is all cropped to the same aspect ratio. But the clarity and grandeur is also lost when going down to HD. So the result is just a shifting aspect ratio. But that is just my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012, 9:43:35 PM PDT
JMM says:
@ A M

You are totally right that the IMAX theater experience can never be replicated at home. But I do like the aspect ratio shift because it fills the entire 16x9 TV screen. The more image the better as far as I am concerned.

Also, your statement seems to suggest that there is no difference in quality between IMAX and 35mm when viewed in the HD home setting. Is that true? To me, the IMAX-shot scenes in TDK look slightly better on blu-ray than the 35mm scenes do - but perhaps that is just my perception.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012, 1:22:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2012, 1:23:23 AM PDT
EdM says:
There's no way to tell what a given studio or director [whoever has control] will do with IMAX footage. Rarely, there is more than one version, as AVatar was shown in 2D as widescreen [2.20, 2.40?], but 3D IMAX was shown as IMAX IIRC. Different movies have been treated differently. One forum thread about this:

http://www.highdefforum.com/high-definition-media/88485-imax-films-cropped-blu-ray.html

as well as another with a specific example involving MI: Ghost Protocol:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/mission-impossible-ghost-protocol-aspect-ratio-poll/

Time will tell. For some, for Blu-ray Disc, I think they crop IMAX to ~ 1.78 or 16/9, a little off the top and bottom, to fill the HDTV widescreen screen size / aspect ratio, but preserve most of the original IMAX [1.44 for full IMAX] aspect ratio and film content.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012, 9:27:54 AM PDT
A M says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012, 9:31:18 AM PDT
A M says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jul 24, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.