Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Elvis Presley Shop Cycling on Amazon
Customer Discussions > Camping forum

fast dinners with kids on Coleman stove or open fire.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-43 of 43 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 11, 2012 11:29:42 AM PDT
I use a charbroil grill. You can easily find them under $40. I like to use them camping 'cause you can use them as a bbq or a stove or both and they use the one pound gas cannister that is available anywhere.

I also use a jetboil. I keep this handy with a cook in the bag meal (personally I like mountainhouse brand). These are meals that were cooked then freeze dried. They're okay tasting and will save the day if rain arrives at dinner time. You can heat water on the jetboil, pour it in the bag, stir and ten minutes later you have a hot meal.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 12:16:26 PM PDT
K. Chung says:
A couple buddies and I used one of those charbroil portable grills and we found it great for grilling but if you tried to cook on it, it was not as good as using a dedicated portable gas stove (e.g. a coleman two burner unit). You'll use less gas to cook/heat the same item on the stove than the grill.

When we only used the grill for heating on a 4 day, 3 night off-road trip, we pretty much used 3/4 to 1 canister per a day (hot breakfast and dinner) - like 3 total. When using a camp stove for a similar trip, I think we used only 1.25-1.5 canisters. Perhaps not a big deal if you bring enough canisters. :-)

Posted on May 13, 2012 6:34:07 PM PDT
We love to car camp with kids. For breakfast we usually alternate with the following: meal bars, tea and fruit or cereal and fruit, toast and sausage. We skip the eggs or pancakes because of the clean up. We just want to hit the trails as early as possible. For lunch we usually do rice cakes and peanut butter, apples, and mylar bagged ready to eat tuna (with a fork). We usually eat this on the trail with little fuss. For dinners we usually eat early and alternate between: black beans and rice, succotash with rice, and chilli. We follow with our kids favorite food on a stick; hot dogs followed by smores. Eat to live instead of live to eat and keep it simple.

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:10:44 PM PDT
Our favorite thing is fresh corn on the cob. You really don't need much water in a pot, just make steam and it's done in 10 minutes. I found out that you don't need to "cook" the corn, just get it good and hot. Must have butter, salt and those little cob picks to hold it.
Another is Kraft Mac & Cheese. I add salsa. We have one fussy eater so we don't plan anything too exciting. For breakfast we use those oatmeal packets with the different flavors. We cook on a inexpensive Coleman propane stove. For grilling, use a cheap propane grill and use a canvas grocery bag to store it--gets dirty and greasy). We cook up some other things but after reading the posts, it's pretty much been covered (I thought I was the only one that make spaghetti at camp). I made shish-ka-bobs once.
No matter what I have, the camp neighbors always have something that smells better than our meal and it more spectacular too. Maybe I don't plan ahead enough--that is the real key--planning.

Posted on May 19, 2012 11:03:45 PM PDT
J.A. says:
I was a single Mom with 4 kids and we loved camping with dogs and all! Just a couple suggestions for you.....first tortillas travel better than bread and take up less space. Hot dog buns really suffer in a car but if you can find something called hot dog cradles they are heartier. I learned early on to cook up things like sloppy joes and then freeze the sauce flat in a ziplock with as much air out as possible, then after freezing I put the bag into another bag from the opposite direction. I also would cook up hamburger meat and drain it and do the same process with the ziplocks. It was great for spaghetti or tacos and by having almost everything frozen it keeps your food cooler colder for a longer time and you just eat it by rate of defrost! Lastly, freeze all meat for longer trips and use seperate cooler for drinks and freeze some bottles of water for cooling and later drinking. Do not use the bags with sliders to close them EVER!! And yes, it does pay to use Ziplock Freezer Bags and no I do not work for them!!! Have fun and hug the kids often :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 1:41:56 PM PDT
D. Oblak says:
Cheese Quesidillas, Hotdogs on a stick, spaghetti or raviolis, no-bake pies for dessert, pre-made breakfast burritos, pancakes and eggs, cashew chicken or tuna salad wraps, Bag salad for sure, dried soups, trail mix for snacks, box mac and cheese.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 12:17:34 AM PDT
Aksel Lee says:
You don't need water for corn. The best corn on the cob is cooked still in the husk right on the grille or in hot embers. The husk will keep the moisture in naturally and doubles as the handle when you peel it back. frozen or fresh you will never have better corn on the cob, I will never boil corn again... ever. Just pull the fuzz and loose husk bits off the end so they don't catch on fire and you are set it can cook while you are doing other things around the camp its really hard to burn but we do let it cook for about an hour at least so not so great if you are in a hurry.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 12:21:27 AM PDT
J.A. says:
We used to do this and also sweet potatoes ( just cut off an end and then brush off ashes when done) or bakers in foil and zucchini and yellow squash in foil. Now I'm hungry!

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 9:22:38 AM PDT
i personally prefer taking potatoes, onions, a side of smoked bacon, assorted canned fruits and veggies, chef boyardee, franks & beans, chilli... but am going to try a dehydrated sampler starting tonight; will let you know when i get back in a few days

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 2:12:04 PM PDT
L. Anderson says:
Don't forget the Jiffy Pop! Popcorn and cheap entertainment rolled into one!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 2:17:31 PM PDT
Margie D. says:
Cooking On A Stick (Acitvities for Kids) This is a fun book for camping with kids for cooking. It's a great price too($3.98 and eligible for free shipping). I'm sure that there is a killer recipe for grilled peaches and/or nectarines.
I have to agree with other posters that the best way is to pick some one pot meal that your kids like and make and freeze ahead. There are also things like ramen noodles, mac n' cheese and stir fries. We also always liked tuna helper which always seem to taste way better in the outdoorsl But freeze, freeze as much as you can and get the meals as rock solid frozen before you leave.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 6:51:11 PM PDT
J.A. says:
When my ex-son-in-law came to visit from Germany he was facinated by Jiffy Pop!!! You are 100% correct... popcorn and entertainment!

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 7:02:19 PM PDT
J.A. says:
I love this topic! I remembered another dish we made camping and even at home. We called it hunter's soup. We would cook steaks over the fire one night and I would always make a bit too much which I Ziplocked in the cooler overnight. I would start a pot of water the following eve and quarter up onions, potatoes and a couple cans of veg-all and a can of corn with a few beef boullion cubes. Then throw in the cut up steak bits and a couple packets of crumbled up beef ramen at the end. This was not only fast and easy but hot and filling. Anyway we called it hunter's soup because we hunted around camp for whatever we had left to put in the pot! It is a great meal to finish off a trip.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 3:54:22 AM PDT
John F says:
I make Stouffer's turkey stuffing all the time when I'm camping. It comes dehydrated and all you have to do is boil some water and stir in the stuffing. Even picky little kids will eat stuffing. When I'm car camping, I tend to cook a lot of steaks. All you need is a pan and a fire to make a good steak. Its also pretty easy to boil potatoes when your camping in a big pot. Just boil the water and toss them in. BAM! Your done.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 3:32:19 PM PDT
J.A. says:
Hi John F,

Another easy one is Chicken helper. They have one that is chicken and stuffing with gravy and canned white meat chicken works great!! Camp on!!!

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 11:59:17 AM PST
You can put raw bacon slices into a brown bag and hold it over the fire (not too close, of course) and as the grease coats the bag, it becomes a bit more fire resistant. After the bacon has been cooked, crack an egg (scramble it if you wish) and pour it into the bag. In time, you'll have bacon and eggs within a paper bag.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2016 2:45:58 PM PDT
Mary G. says:
Well, you said what needed to be said. Thank you for reminding me of that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2016 2:49:47 PM PDT
Mary G. says:
Why not use the bags with sliders?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Camping forum (110 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Camping forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Jun 23, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers