Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Camping forum

Leave No Trace: the argument AGAINST it

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 319 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2011, 7:49:38 PM PDT
Ummm, don't poop near water!! As long as you're a reasonable distance away by the time it seeps through the ground to get to any water it will be so filtered down into nutrients that there will be no problem.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2011, 7:51:07 PM PDT
Ummmm don't poop near water!! As long as you are a reasonable distance away then by the time it seeps through the ground it will be so filtered into nutrients that it won't make any difference.

Posted on Jun 15, 2011, 6:03:54 AM PDT
Bill King says:
Perspective: For several years I post and read (a little) in some of the largest online backpacking forums. In threads like these which I saw only a minority say they carry out their poop, except in extraordinary circumstances. Just like here. However I'm sure I have seen only a tiny sample of the many threads there must be on this subject.

Posted on Jun 15, 2011, 12:31:19 PM PDT
Robert Blake says:
Join scouting and truly learn what leave no trace it about.. It is a state of mind that you leave a place better than how you found it.. and give more back that what you receive!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011, 2:22:07 PM PDT
Magnolia says:
If you use baking soda to brush there is no problem with residue on the ground.

Posted on Jun 16, 2011, 11:53:24 PM PDT
Zul'Jin says:
Pinch a loaf anywhere you want, use biodegradable toilet paper, and save the rest as fire-starter. GG. Probably don't bring a lot of Styrofoam and cans of Boston Baked Beans and you'll be alright.

Posted on Jun 20, 2011, 9:03:50 AM PDT
Yeah. Um, DON'T "pinch a loaf anywhere you want," thanks. I don't want your loaf floating in my drinking source, or planted in the middle of the trail for me to step on. I know that's probably not quite what you intended to say, but as previosly mentioned, common sense isn't all that common.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011, 10:55:31 PM PDT
GotAFarmYet says:
Any mammals that swim do, Beavers, Whales etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2011, 10:13:38 AM PDT
Cyclist says:
Horses originated in North America. They only recently died out about 12,000 years ago, at the end of the Pleistocene.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011, 9:12:26 PM PDT
Stormcaller says:
I find it ridiculous that some people who advocate Leave No Trace also suggest burning trash.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011, 6:33:00 AM PDT
Don't bury your poop!!! If in a truely wild place poop where the sun will shine on it and the bugs will play in it. Just don't poop where I'll step in it. Digging holes should be left for the moles and other little guys. Yea, if there is an established fire place or ring you can burn down your trash, but I never start a new fire place. I usually end up packing out not only my trash but other junk I find along the way (except artifact trash, of course).

Posted on Jul 31, 2011, 11:46:46 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 1, 2011, 8:03:02 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 31, 2011, 11:59:00 PM PDT
Bill King says:
Yes those poly sleeping bags are so DÉCLASSÉ, all real hikers use DOWN!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011, 4:56:27 AM PDT
It's because the Colorado river moves such a high volume of water that by the time you finish, millions of gallons have flowed by, effectively diluting it. And because if everyone peed on the beach, it would really throw off the chemical balance in the area.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011, 6:49:50 AM PDT
If one has to crap in the woods, they should do it no less than 30 meters from a water source. No problem with contamination if you stick to that rule.

Posted on Aug 6, 2011, 8:49:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 9, 2011, 6:22:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2011, 6:57:53 AM PDT
Because it wasn't buried in a 6-8 inch deep cathole.

Posted on Aug 19, 2011, 7:16:01 PM PDT
BigFish says:
Bears (grizzly bears) are attracted to your poop... you should bury it at least eight inches deep, as soon as possible. Burning your poop will only put the scent into the air and attract grizzlies. Be safe, bury it and pack out all items brought in.... you may save yourself from an encounter with a bear or save another camper/hiker. Which brings up another point, always carry bear spray or at least mace.

Posted on Aug 20, 2011, 4:03:04 PM PDT
musikat2010 says:
For all those who say "the bears and deer do it, so can I," bears and dears don't eat processed food. the food that they eat makes their feces good for the environment. the food that we eat is ridiculously bad for the environment once our bodies have processed it.(http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/64/9/3336) You dont eat anything except what you pick of the plants and kill yourself? fine. you're the animal exception. for the rest of us that eat protein bars or coffee, pack it out.

Posted on Aug 20, 2011, 9:34:56 PM PDT
Bill King says:
If you want to 'pack it out', then fine go ahead. In all my decades of hiking I never saw anyone pack up their poop to carry along the trail, but don't let that discourage you.

Posted on Aug 21, 2011, 2:47:21 PM PDT
D. Scott says:
I'm just curious, but if you pack your poop, where the hell do you think it is going to end up? My guess is probably some sort of landfill. So you can either dig a hole and bury it. Then burn the tp or get the kind of tp that is biodegradable and leave no trace or you can have your double plastic bag full of gel and poop continuing to add to our landfill refuse. Doesn't seem like a hard decision as to which option would be more environmentally friendly.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011, 4:41:14 PM PDT
You urinate in the water because 30-60 people peeing on the ground makes a heck of a stink.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011, 11:35:16 PM PDT
Dale N Scott says:
Just avoid the Poison Oak!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011, 11:04:08 AM PDT
Trey D. says:
The Asian Leopard Cat (wild) as well as other small to medium size wild cats will urinate and defecate in running water so they don't leave traces behind that can be easily tracked.

You asked for an example so I had to give you one. Though I do agree with you on urinating in a latrine.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011, 9:45:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 14, 2011, 8:55:29 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Camping forum (110 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Camping forum
Participants:  172
Total posts:  319
Initial post:  Jul 7, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers