Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Canon Lens forum

Need advice on a telephoto lens

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 23, 2010, 7:20:49 PM PST
Hi there,

Just bought my wife an XSi for her birthday and now she wants a lens that can take photos from a distance. I don't want to pay a pile of money for a new lens for her, but I'd like to get her something that will get her 'where she needs to be.' I'd also like to stick with the Canon brand if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010, 9:52:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2010, 9:54:25 PM PST
The $250 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS is a good match for the kit lens and offers decent image quality with IS optical image stabilization which is particularly helpful on a telephoto lens when you don't want to or can't use a tripod. If the 55-250 is too much, Adorama offers refurbished units for about $200 but with much shorter 90 day warranties.

The next step up will cost you about $500 -- the Canon 70-300 IS or the Canon 70-200 f/4L (NON-IS).

I would NOT recommend the Canon 75-300 since its optics aren't anywhere near as good as the 55-250 and it doesn't include IS. There are better 3rd party than this one.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 6:43:09 PM PST
I agree with Technology Guy Kark, the optimum in my opinion would be the 70-200mm f/4 IS...thats at about 11oo bucks or so...remember good "glass" keeps it's value very well as appossed to cheaper lens's. That said Tech Guys giving you sound advice the 55-250 is a good choice at the lower price point..if she gets into it..down the road you can always upgrade the lens. Good luck,Steve B.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Canon Lens forum (153 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Canon Lens forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Feb 23, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 24, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers