Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Cell Phone forum

Unlocked phones for tracfone?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 21, 2011, 8:12:26 AM PST
Sean says:
Will unlocked GSM phones work for tracfone? Will I still be able to call, text, send picture message, and browse the internet?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011, 6:27:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2011, 6:32:46 PM PST
Depends on your service area, as some areas that Tracfone covers, are actually using Verizon's CDMA towers, but most areas are using AT&T(most used out of the 3) GSM towers, or T-Mobile GSM towers. I'm in a AT&T GSM area, So i was able to slide my Net10 sim card into an old Nokia AT&T go phone I had laying around after my Net10 LG300g died on me, but I was not able to see my air time balance, or due date. So yes it can be done, in an AT&T tower area, if you don't mind not knowing your airtime balance or due date, so I say it's wise, to just stick with Tracfone or Net10 branded phones, the LG900g(LG GW300 euro model), is a great multitasking Java app phone, and it's default browser is really good, and so is Bolt Browser on it, but no matter what you do, you will only get EDGE data service, with Tracfone, or Net10.

Posted on Feb 21, 2011, 7:13:17 PM PST
Van says:
No. They will not work for TracFone. I work selling phones of all sorts on eBay and a customer purchased one of our unlocked GSM AT&T phones and it wouldn't accept their SIM card, they had to return the phone to us. If you want a prepaid carrier that will pretty much let you go from phone to phone your best bet is PureTalkUSA as they were started by my boss. They use AT&T phones and AT&T's network.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011, 8:46:40 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 21, 2011, 8:47:03 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011, 8:15:43 AM PST
Sean says:
hmmm im getting mixed messages... lol. I guess i can just try a GSM phone and see if it will accept my SIM card and i get service. And if not, i can return the phone, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011, 11:23:33 AM PST
Returning the phone, depends on where you bought it, some places have a no return policy unless it's damaged, and within the first 24hrs of purchase with reciet/purchase order. Ignoring the salesman from the post above, your honest best bet, is to go with a phone that has the Tracfone/Net10 firmware on it, or you my not see your airtime balance, due date, and may not be able to get the updates, or any help from Tracfone, if you have problems. The best way to use Tracfone, is with Net10, and get the LG900g, it's a great full keyboard phone, that will run almost any Java app, except a few emulators. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011, 1:17:40 PM PST
Van says:
Not sure who C. Stallings is calling a salesman, I'm telling you what I know to be fact. You can try it if you like, but as forewarned, you will more than likely be disappointed. I do know my way around phones. Two things you will learn about Tracfone. 1 - They do not allow usage of any phone not branded Trac Fone and Unlocked GSM phones do not recognize TracFone SIM cards. 2 - You cannot unlock a TracFone branded phone to work on any other network. Not sure why, but we have tried and couldn't find a code anywhere. And even if my recommending PureTalkUSA was considered a sales pitch, so what? Would you rather be stuck using TracFone's crappy, boring, dead end phones? Or would you like a little more freedom in moving from phone to phone by simply moving your SIM card? Common sense would take the latter, but it's possible that PureTalk/AT&T service isn't available in your area?

Good Luck

Posted on Feb 22, 2011, 6:34:27 PM PST
Sean says:
ok so does everyone agree that i cannot take my tracfone sim card and use it with any other kind of phone, even if it is unlocked?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011, 7:10:35 PM PST
Van says:
Correct. I wouldn't want you to spend the money purchasing an unlocked phone at the risk that you wouldn't be able to return it because it didn't work for your service.

Posted on Feb 22, 2011, 8:15:43 PM PST
A. Williams says:
@Sean: I've been told the same thing by my favorite wireless shop as I wanted to buy a cool phone for my son to convert to TracFone!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011, 9:37:44 PM PST
Just go Net10, it's cheaper only $15 for 200mins/30 days of service, and you can find the Lg900g(LG GW300g), and on that phone, it's 2.5 cents a txt, plus you can install all the Java apps you want, and the Mp3 player is really good, once you have all your music tagged proper, and the keyboard has a good feel, and if you look around you can find the Lg900g on sale for around $40, just make sure to get at least an 8GB MicroSD card, cause the phone has little internal memory.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2011, 4:07:03 PM PST
L. SERGIO M says:
Sir, I agree with you in one point and disagree on another. Regarding using unlocked GSM handsets with Tracfone I'm sure it is possible. I used to use an unlocked NOKIA bought in Hong Kong three years ago for a long time with Tracfone and, apart from the airtime balance and due date lacking on the display, everything worked fine. Regarding unlocking the Tracfone handsets, for my own experience I can say you are 100% right. Is it impossible. I tried with three different handsets and yes, no code or hack is available. But who cares about unlocking those simple phones anyway?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2011, 3:29:59 PM PST
Sean says:
Exactly! For now im stuck with tracfone as my service provider im just trying to see if i can buy an unlocked phone that i can use

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013, 7:22:11 AM PST
I have also recently discovered that TRACFONE tech spt customer service is the WORST ever. The accents are a challenge for communication. My phone stopped receiving text msgs. They never could figure it out. I wasted sooo many minutes with test msgs. They were going to give me 10 free mins for the inconvenience, which never showed up. I will not recommend Tracfone to anyone, basically because of the run around you get with customer service

Posted on Mar 16, 2013, 9:36:35 AM PDT
Lov2explore says:
When you do not want to speak to someone with a heavy accent you simply tell them I want someone in the USA office to speak to and they will connect you right away. I never waste my time on people that have English as a second language. Most of the time those people really do not understand the problem. Save yourself the grief and ask to speak to ONLY A US agent with English as the FIRST language.

Posted on Jul 23, 2013, 4:58:29 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 23, 2013, 4:58:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2014, 12:14:19 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 19, 2014, 7:18:34 AM PDT
Every year (2014) to 2015 HSN has a special with the newest phone you may want to try hsn.com

Posted on Dec 29, 2014, 9:35:53 AM PST
David M. says:
HELP! I am a tech challenged cellphone user. I had a Samsung Galaxy III mini which I have lost, and I have an unlocked Nokia 6350 quad band flip phone which I purchased to use overseas. Since I have lost my Samsung I am in the process of shopping for a new smartphone. Is there a smartphone which will give me access to the Verizon network as well as to the GSM networks around the rest of the world? (AT&T coverage in my location is a bit weak)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2014, 4:19:21 AM PST
Van says:
Most Verizon smartphones today are global enabled. The Galaxy S4, S5, HTC One, One M8, LG G3 are a few examples. When you're looking at the phone, be sure to see the technical specs where it says either that it is a global phone or GSM enabled. If you are unsure fully, check the specs of the phone on the website Phone Scoop. You can search by exact make and model on that site and once you click the link for that model, you should see at the top where it either does or does not have GSM bands for global use.

Do note, however, that just because a phone for Verizon is LTE enabled, it does not mean it also has GSM radios. You have to get a phone that clearly mentions it has global radios inside.

Posted on Mar 11, 2015, 12:46:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2015, 12:48:09 PM PDT
jay13 says:
I have lots of time/minutes on my Tracfone and looking for a dual SIM quad band to use when I travel in Europe (also GSM mostly). Tracfone technical support simply stated to me that ANY unlocked GSM phone can work with Tracfone... True?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2015, 4:13:35 AM PDT
Van says:
Only if you use their AT&T or T-Mobile based service. If you're using Tracfone based service, you must have a Tracfone branded phone. Their BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) program is for CDMA phones which do not use GSM/SIM cards.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2015, 4:42:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2015, 4:43:13 AM PDT
jay13 says:
Thanks for your reply. I guess that the Tracfone folks lied!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2015, 9:41:58 AM PDT
Van says:
No problem. It doesn't surprise me that Tracfone customer support lied. They are the same company essentially responsible for Straight Talk customer service and ST's customer service is horrible. I ended up doing business with Cricket for the sole point that ST's customer service is awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2015, 2:50:36 PM PDT
Pupperdog says:
Tracfone has a a BYOP LTE program. I am currently using an iPhone 6 on Tracfone
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cell Phone forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Which old smart phone for wifi use only no cell service 0 6 days ago
Keeps asking to sign into Amazon account 0 28 days ago
Micro usb male to 2 female splitter 16 Jul 14, 2017
Can you have 2 cell phones sharing same number? 53 Jun 22, 2017
Unlocked phones for tracfone? 37 Apr 27, 2017
Buy AT&T Go Phone and insert AT&T SIM card from old cell phone? 57 Apr 19, 2017
If I dont like the phone will Amazon allow me to exchange it for a different model? 19 Apr 12, 2017
fire phone work with Tracfone service? 12 Dec 23, 2016
Do I just put my current sim card into an unlocked phone? 20 Nov 30, 2016
does amazon not do contract phones anymore?? 0 Oct 3, 2016
Porting cell number to a new phone of a carrier I don't use. 0 Sep 15, 2016
If I buy and unlocked phone from amazon will tmobile let me add it to my family plan 1 Jul 30, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cell Phone forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Feb 21, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 27, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers