Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM
Customer Discussions > Children's Movie forum

what's the best sesame street dvds out?

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Jul 17, 2008, 5:18:36 PM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2007, 8:18:21 PM PST
wonder mom says:
My 18 month old loves sesame street, but we can never seem to catch it on tv. There are so many sesame street dvds to choose from, and I want to purchase some for christmas. Which ones are the best?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2007, 12:50:13 AM PST
C. Miller says:
I would recommend old school volume 1 & 2. These sets cover Sesame Street from 1969-1979. Although they are "intended" for adults like myself who grew up on this show, my 2 year old son loves them... he watches them over and over and they have really accelerated his counting, alphabet, and has introduced him to Spanish. Also, price was each set is under $30 and has hours of playtime compared to a lot of "newer" sets that are $9 and up for 45 to 70 min.
Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2007, 6:09:49 PM PST
malvern mom says:
By far the best is SS Karoke. All of my little ones have enjoyed it over and over. We first had the video and then got the DVD. Also the anniversary DVD is excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2007, 3:52:39 PM PST
B. Heard says:
My 17-month-old son (and I) really like the Sesame Street "Sing Along" DVD. It includes classic, well-known children's songs sung around a piano (played by Bob!) and also flashback videos to songs that you will remember from your childhood (like "Rubber Duckie" and "Sing A Song"). Best for little ones who like songs; not a real storyline.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007, 11:50:11 AM PST
Mom2FiveKidz says:
Try Lots To Learn. We've got all three (Nature, In My House and Buster's Favorite Animals) that are out so far. Found them on their web page: LotsToLearn.com. Also on AMAzon. Other Moms told me about tyhem, so hopefully this info helps you as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007, 8:56:21 PM PST
My four and two year old daughters love the "Sesame Street 25th Anniversary Celebration." It's one of the older DVDs, but features a fun storyline where Big Bird, Telly and Prairie Dawn are trying to put together a show with singers, dancers and LaLa-ers. Along the way, they showcase most of the classic SS songs and there's a great finale where the cast comes together to sing "Sing." Another great DVD is "What's the Name of that Song."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2007, 2:57:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2007, 3:00:13 PM PST
I second the two 'Old School' sets. This is when Sesame street was in it's prime. When the focus was squarely on education and growing well rounded, socially informed kids. Today's show is still better than most things on TV for kids but falls short of the lofty goals and heights of the early years. Kids from any time will gain something positive from these early shows.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007, 9:47:50 PM PST
WisdomWoman says:
Don't know about Sesame Street, but I would throw in a couple Muppet movies !!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2007, 7:22:42 PM PST
I would recommend the Sesame Beginning DVDs. My 13 old month son has been watching them since he was about 9 months old. We were going on a long car ride and wanted to have something that would make the ride a little easier for him. I would recommend "Beginning Together" and "Making Music Together" There is a 3rd dvd called 'Exploring Together' which we have as well but the first other two have songs that are just very catchy. I sing the songs to him when we aren't watching the DVD and he looks at me with recognition. (He's the only kid I know that will dance to my singing!) He also loves the characters - baby Elmo, baby Big Bird, baby Cookie Monster and baby Prairie Dawn.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007, 7:08:02 AM PST
Margaret says:
I also agree with Elise. Both my kids absolutely loved the 25th Anniversary Celebration, and it brought back memories for me, too!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007, 10:20:32 AM PST
If you looking for something to wind down the day, "Sleepytime Songs & Stories" is great. We watch this many nights before bed and it sets the mood. My son also loves the 25th Anniversary Celebration as well. He loves dancing so it's perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2008, 3:32:25 PM PDT
W. White says:
I know this is old, but if you are still looking, the Munchkin Math series has made a huge difference for our family. The videos are short, bright and fun like Sesame Street. My kids like them just as much! Try them out next time you need a gift- my children love them!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2008, 1:54:31 PM PDT
I'd recommend the Best of Electric Company sets that have come out. If your child loves Sesame Street, they will adore The Electric Company, I spent all morning Saturdays watching the replays from the weekday shows for years, until I grew up into Saturday Morning cartoons on "commercial" tv ;-).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2009, 8:24:25 AM PST
C$ says:
OMG, no question, the What's the Name of that song? dvd. My 11 month old LOVES it. She loves to sing and dance to it. It has hits on it like Sing, what's the name of that song?, etc. It is the best sesame dvd out there. I have old school 1 and 2, and about 10 others. This particular dvd has mostly singing and dancing on it so it is hilarious and fun for kids. BUY IT NOW! You won't regret it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2009, 11:33:43 AM PST
Andy says:
We really enjoy the Magical Halloween Adventure. Great fall film

Posted on Feb 5, 2009, 12:51:35 PM PST
It depends on your child's age. My 2 year old loves "Elmo's Potty Time". She watches it every day and it's helping a lot. Today she woke from her nap and told me she had to go pee. I have Elmo and his friends to thank.

Posted on Feb 18, 2009, 6:18:35 PM PST
My daughter watched 'Elmo Visits the Doctor" over and over again from about 4-6 years old!

Posted on Feb 26, 2009, 2:50:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2009, 1:55:32 PM PST
G.G. says:
I recently discovered the Jim Henson Studios "Unstable Fables".
I'm an adult and recently purchased "3 Pigs and a Baby".
Unstable Fables - 3 Pigs and a Baby
I plan on getting "Tortoise vs Hare" soon.
Unstable Fables: Tortoise vs. Hare
http://www.geniusproducts.com/unstablefables
http://www.geniusproducts.com/unstablefables/3pigs.html
http://www.geniusproducts.com/unstablefables/tortoise.html

Posted on Feb 27, 2009, 1:01:52 PM PST
Try the Polyphony Series Polyphony Be You and Accept me too. It is a sesame Street style dvd great for all ages and entertaining for adults too! The dvd even touches on environmental issues.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Movie forum (33 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Movie forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer