Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Christian Music forum

Christian Southern Rock ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2008, 5:45:10 AM PDT
C. S. Lewis says:
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any Christian bands that have a Southern rock sound? I really love Skynyrd, the Outlaws, etc., but as you all know, the messages in those songs aren't always the best. So if anyone could tell me of any " Southern Christian Rock " bands, that would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008, 7:30:32 AM PDT
utbman says:
Third Day

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008, 11:29:24 AM PDT
C. S. Lewis says:
Yeah, i know about third day, but was wondering if there were any more out there .

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008, 12:03:13 PM PDT
james rand says:
hey i think you would really like " the almost". they are an excellent southern rock christian band!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008, 9:05:35 PM PDT
Have you heard Three Crosses? They have a Southern sound very similar to Georgia Satellites.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2008, 5:36:54 PM PDT
D. W. Hugo says:
Very hard to find... but it would be worth your while to look up "Vision" by the band of the same name. The keyboards are by Skynyrd's Billy Powell. It was released by Heartland Records in 1985. It was never released as a cd. I found a high quality vinyl to digital transfer from (I think) Gemm a few years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2008, 8:11:43 PM PDT
Have you heard Bill Mallonee & the Vigilantes of Love? They came out of the Athens, GA, scene. Their sound evolved over the years and ranged a bit from punk folk to alternative rock to alt-country. I wonder if "Blister Soul" or "Welcome to Struggleville" might work for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2008, 9:17:45 PM PDT
DecembeRadio falls into that frequently, also Needtobreathe has a few songs that kind of slide that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2008, 1:35:14 PM PDT
M. Combs says:
Petra. and Steven Curtis Chapman has a few songs that fit that description.
God Bless!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2008, 10:24:29 AM PDT
C. Murphy says:
First, I want to apologize for the responses in this thread. A lot of them are horrible...
The answer to your question is the band, "Big Fat Jam." The broke up in 2003, but put out two great CD's - an independant album, and "Welcome to Wonderland" which was released on Absolute Records. Their sound is a mix of many artists such as Skynard, Led Zepplin, The Black Crowes, etc. I promise you'll love their stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008, 10:50:36 AM PDT
Greg Brady says:
C.S.:
Not released on CD but you might be able to find a transfer of the 2 LPs from Ed Raetzloff who was in the mainstream Southern rock band Blue Jug before coming to Christ and recording the same style with a gospel slant. 2 albums are DRIVIN' WHEELS and IT TOOK A LONG TIME TO GET TO YOU.

I'll also second the other mention of the band VISION.

And yes, it's extremely irritating how quickly Christian rock goes out of print but that's a rant for another day. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008, 7:35:47 PM PDT
Needtobreathe from Walhalla, SC. Can't get more Southern than that. "Washed By The Water" is one the best Southern rock songs ever!!! The CD is titled "The Heat". You won't be disappointed.......

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2008, 7:00:34 PM PDT
dewlynn says:
try phil keaggy try the jammed tunes first
also see larry norman maybe micheal mcdermott
try listening to rimmeramma on http://www.crossrhythms.co.uk great source for stuff of the main stream

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2008, 12:57:52 PM PDT
dewlynn says:
Try Danny Liston his band open for skynyrd at one time just listen to several tracts sounds very good

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008, 5:31:16 AM PDT
Dawn says:
Try a great not-so-famous local to Maryland band called "Holy Smoke" - they are awesome!
http://www.holysmokeband.com/sound/sound.aspx
My fav is Burnt Offerings - great while-you're-driving CD

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2008, 11:24:30 AM PDT
MusicGalCA says:
DecembeRadio

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2008, 9:17:44 AM PDT
t-money says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2008, 1:42:29 AM PDT
Glenn Kaiser (the Glenn Kaiser Band) and Darrell Mansfield do some great blues - about as close as you're gonna get in the Christian arena

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2008, 5:50:13 PM PDT
Mrbuglite64 says:
Dude.... I might have the answer you are looking for. Try "Fighting Instinct" they have a great southern Rock sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008, 5:09:08 PM PDT
Masked Rider says:
Casting Crowns from the Daytona area sound southern style, imo.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008, 5:10:35 PM PDT
Masked Rider says:
<<Try "Fighting Instinct" they have a great southern Rock sound.>>

What he said.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008, 9:03:21 PM PDT
tartag says:
Check out The Gibsons at gibzone.net all original gospel music southern rock style. You'll be blessed!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2008, 10:38:45 AM PDT
C. Eller says:
I've been looking for the same thing and, believe me, the search continues :) However, I've found a few songs that remind me of The Band or The Black Crowes including some from Caedmon's Call (Trouble & Share in the Blame)and Decemberradio (Find You Waiting & Drifter). Unfortunately neither group has a really consistent "southern rock" sound across any particular album. Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2008, 7:17:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2008, 7:23:33 PM PDT
H-Bomba says:
don't forget Larry Howard from Grinderswitch ,an overlooked southern rock band on capricorn records. Also Q-stone ,but their stuff is hard to find. Agreed wholehearted Glenn Kaiser Band is THE closest . Start with Spontaneous Combustion or Ripley County Blues.TRy the Mighty Jeremiahs w/jimmy hall from wet willie and greg martin from ky headhunters,then onto Taildragger.........

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2008, 9:04:15 PM PDT
Sherri says:
Hey, I think I have what your looking for, go to indieheaven. You can look up all these Christian artists by genre and preview before buying. These are Independent artists and so you don't always hear them on the radio. Some are awesome! Some are terrible. There are some you might really enjoy. One is 9th hour. Excelent sound. also, you might look for thirsty child. 9th hour, however has a distinctly Christian message. Another band you might like, but not on indieheaven is called 2nd chapter of acts, or perhaps it is matthew ward, and the song is yahweh. or till the walls fall down, you will love those two songs, you could also try the mighty jerimiahs. Any of those will fill your need for Christian southern rock. God Bless!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christian Music forum (355 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christian Music forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Jun 24, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 15, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers