Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Verses of Universal Encouragement from the Bible

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 52 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 10:02:34 PM PST
Jeremiah Cox says:
GJS:

Naturally, I am tempted to respond in kind. I will only say this. In trying to prove YOUR point, I think you've proved OURS. And then I wish to post a bit of counsel for all of us on this site, you and me included, that I came across the other day:

"Only those who manifest their possession, in however small a measure, of the fruits of the Spirit can persuade others that the life of the spirit is worth living. Argument and controversy are almost useless; in many cases, indeed, they are positively harmful. But this, of course, is a thing that clever men with a gift for syllogisms and sarcasm, find it peculiarly hard to admit."

Huxley, Aldous (2012-02-14). The Perennial Philosophy (P.S.) (p. 140). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 3:28:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012, 3:32:46 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Craig; "Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." God knows what is in my heart, but other people can not. James was letting us know that others base their judgments on us by our actions."

OK than, you want to meet some of the most faithful people Craig? Take up a prison ministry and go visit some of the most well behaved believers you could ever want to know. Even drunks and drug addicts, murderer's, and the kinds of guys who like to do those home invasions, 'cause they're bored'.
Yep, I'm talking from experience with these fellows.

It's called Jailhouse religion, and for many, who can't handle the ball and chain of ordinary church charades, it works real well, keeping the conscience clear, and the "feeling" of being right with God, alive.

The difference between them and the free man, is the free man learns to walk after the Spirit so as not to fulfill the desires of the flesh. The prisoner, (be it to the County or the denomination), walks after their dictates, by the guards or the minister. When he's isolated enough from society and it's norms, and he can't partake of the designated evils, he consoles himself that he's holy.

This is contrary to those whom the Son has set free and are free indeed.

Two highly recommended books:

Classic Christianity: Life's Too Short to Miss the Real Thing

Growing in Grace : With Study Guide

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 3:02:47 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth: But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee: (Deut. 20:16-17)

In context: 10 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. 11 If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. 12 If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. 13 When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. 14 As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies. 15 This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.
16 However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy[a] them-the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites-as the Lord your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the Lord your God.
19 When you lay siege to a city for a long time, fighting against it to capture it, do not destroy its trees by putting an ax to them, because you can eat their fruit. Do not cut them down. Are the trees people, that you should besiege them?[b] 20 However, you may cut down trees that you know are not fruit trees and use them to build siege works until the city at war with you falls.

...no different than the actions of our fathers when we dropped the A-bombs on Japan. There was a cause and an effect and today you can say what you want, but you and I both have to answer to the Japanese for this, in our century. How's that make you feel

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 2:58:34 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. (Numbers 31:17-18)

In context: 31 The Lord said to Moses, 2 "Take vengeance on the Midianites for the Israelites. After that, you will be gathered to your people."
3 So Moses said to the people, "Arm some of your men to go to war against the Midianites so that they may carry out the Lord's vengeance on them. 4 Send into battle a thousand men from each of the tribes of Israel." 5 So twelve thousand men armed for battle, a thousand from each tribe, were supplied from the clans of Israel. 6 Moses sent them into battle, a thousand from each tribe, along with Phinehas son of Eleazar, the priest, who took with him articles from the sanctuary and the trumpets for signaling.

7 They fought against Midian, as the Lord commanded Moses, and killed every man. 8 Among their victims were Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur and Reba-the five kings of Midian. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. 9 The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder. 10 They burned all the towns where the Midianites had settled, as well as all their camps. 11 They took all the plunder and spoils, including the people and animals, 12 and brought the captives, spoils and plunder to Moses and Eleazar the priest and the Israelite assembly at their camp on the plains of Moab, by the Jordan across from Jericho.
13 Moses, Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp. 14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army-the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds-who returned from the battle.

15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them. 16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and enticed the Israelites to be unfaithful to the Lord in the Peor incident, so that a plague struck the Lord's people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.
19 "Anyone who has killed someone or touched someone who was killed must stay outside the camp seven days. On the third and seventh days you must purify yourselves and your captives. 20 Purify every garment as well as everything made of leather, goat hair or wood."

21 Then Eleazar the priest said to the soldiers who had gone into battle, "This is what is required by the law that the Lord gave Moses: 22 Gold, silver, bronze, iron, tin, lead 23 and anything else that can withstand fire must be put through the fire, and then it will be clean. But it must also be purified with the water of cleansing. And whatever cannot withstand fire must be put through that water. 24 On the seventh day wash your clothes and you will be clean. Then you may come into the camp."

...clearly avoiding mass contamination of innocents during warfare.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 2:56:19 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. (Zechariah 14:2)

In context: 14 A day of the Lord is coming, Jerusalem, when your possessions will be plundered and divided up within your very walls.
2 I will gather all the nations to Jerusalem to fight against it; the city will be captured, the houses ransacked, and the women raped.
Half of the city will go into exile, but the rest of the people will not be taken from the city. 3 Then the Lord will go out and fight against those nations, as he fights on a day of battle.

...speaks for itself!!!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 2:55:36 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Then Menahem smote Tiphsah, and all that were therein, ... because they opened not to him, therefore he smote it; and all the women therein that were with child he ripped up.
(2 Kings 15:16)

In context: 13 Shallum son of Jabesh became king in the thirty-ninth year of Uzziah king of Judah, and he reigned in Samaria one month. 14 Then Menahem son of Gadi went from Tirzah up to Samaria. He attacked Shallum son of Jabesh in Samaria, assassinated him and succeeded him as king. 15 The other events of Shallum's reign, and the conspiracy he led, are written in the book of the annals of the kings of Israel.
16 At that time Menahem, starting out from Tirzah, attacked Tiphsah and everyone in the city and its vicinity, because they refused to open their gates. He sacked Tiphsah and ripped open all the pregnant women.

...something that had already happened by an enemy...not God

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 2:53:27 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones. (Psalms 137:9)

In context: 7 Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did
on the day Jerusalem fell.
"Tear it down," they cried,
"tear it down to its foundations!"
8 Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.

...something David said, not God. David is NOT God.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 2:52:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012, 2:54:15 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Samaria ... hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up. (Hosea 13:16)

In context: 9 "You are destroyed, Israel,
because you are against me, against your helper.
10 Where is your king, that he may save you?
Where are your rulers in all your towns,
of whom you said,
`Give me a king and princes'?
11 So in my anger I gave you a king,
and in my wrath I took him away.
12 The guilt of Ephraim is stored up,
his sins are kept on record.
13 Pains as of a woman in childbirth come to him,
but he is a child without wisdom;
when the time arrives,
he doesn't have the sense to come out of the womb.
14 "I will deliver this people from the power of the grave;
I will redeem them from death.
Where, O death, are your plagues?
Where, O grave, is your destruction?
"I will have no compassion,
15 even though he thrives among his brothers.
An east wind from the Lord will come,
blowing in from the desert;
his spring will fail
and his well dry up.
His storehouse will be plundered
of all its treasures.
16 The people of Samaria must bear their guilt,
because they have rebelled against their God.
They will fall by the sword;
their little ones will be dashed to the ground,
their pregnant women ripped open."

...a warning of something to happen, not what God was going to do them!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 2:51:05 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Jeremiah Cox says: "Chuck Ludikee (Nov 4, 10 pm PST) has provided us with a number of verses that I authenticate as written by the Devil, inasmuch as "he" is hate because "God" is Love."

Yes Jeremiah, and Chuck also said, "My wife and I just today took her mother to a nursing home because of her advance dementia. Blessed? A little three-year-old boy was eaten alive by a pack of wild dogs at a zoo a day or so ago. Blessed?"

As if getting old is some kind of indictment to God, and he also forgot to mention the mother of that child who was hanging it into the den of those dogs when she lost her grip. The dogs did what came natural, and somehow, in his mind, God was to blame.

You're both a couple of pathetic intellectual liars and need to be ignored.

I will proceed to demonstrate for all who care to be honest each of his twisted citations in context to prove he's a liar and a coward, wanting to deceive the gullible because he hates the almighty God.

Whatever else you or he has to say will fall on deaf ears.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 8:58:14 AM PST
Craig, and like Paul, James was warning those who had faith in Jesus, but did not show mercy to others, they would not be justified before God. (James 2:24, 1 Corinthians 13;2, Matthew 7;21, Revelation 2:23, Matthew 25;35,42). Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Jesus our Great God and Saviour

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 8:13:10 AM PST
Craig says:
G. J. Stein says: "So, lets just say, "God see's the heart, (its motives and intentions), so He tunes into the ones that are true."

I would agree with that, and I know that God knows our intentions better than we do. That, I believe, is what James meant when he said "But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." God knows what is in my heart, but other people can not. James was letting us know that others base their judgements on us by our actions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 7:45:32 AM PST
Jeremiah, yes, all of us should cooperate with grace and STRIVE for that holiness without which no one can see the Lord. (Hebrews 12:14)! Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Jesus our Great God and Saviour

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 7:44:21 AM PST
Craig, Unless of course we then persist in immorality and impurity without repenting, for then the sacrifice for sins NO LONGER remains, as Paul warns those who have faith In Jesus. (Hebrews 10:26, Ephesians 5;5,6, Galatians 5;19,20,21, Romans 2:8,9). Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Jesus our Great God and Saviour

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 5:42:33 AM PST
Mickey says:
As an agnostic, I'm skeptical of religion but I'm willing to hear arguments for Christian universalism. I'm not willing to hear arguments for eternal damnation though - it's evil and I refuse to approve of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 4:55:08 AM PST
No doubt.

True believers can make anything out of anything.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012, 11:59:21 PM PST
Jeremiah Cox says:
Chuck Ludikee (Nov 4, 10 pm PST) has provided us with a number of verses that I authenticate as written by the Devil, inasmuch as "he" is hate because "God" is Love.

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones. (Psalms 137:9)

Samaria ... hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up. (Hosea 13:16)

For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. (Zechariah 14:2)

They found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. ... And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses. (Numbers 15:32 & 36)

Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. (Numbers 31:17-18)

But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth: But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee: (Deut. 20:16-17)

A favorite example of my own comes from II Thes. 1:7-9:

And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 8:31:13 PM PST
Blu Boy says:
Jeremiah-

"Much of the Bible was written by the Devil"

Citation needed

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 8:29:17 PM PST
Blu Boy says:
Whachu been smokin?

Because "god" made us, he gets to kill us off how he likes and we have to swallow that tripe as "moral"?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 4:58:54 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Craig: Do you think it is not possible for Christians to harm their neighbor?

No, in fact its happened to me and I have no doubt done it too. How about you?
Is your culture in tune with all others?
Is your personal appearance and hygiene exemplary?
Are you the top dog on the job? (This alone could be an offence)
Do you partake in any "off color" behavior that maybe your brethren might condemn?

We're bound to be an offence to someone so we should learn to roll with the punches with others and theirs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 4:50:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012, 5:01:11 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Craig says: "I have said "Jesus is Lord" many times and meant that with all my heart. Will that save me?"

Well, I trust you have little deeper intellect about this and I hope you feel that way about me, but the answer is found in this verse:

1 Corinthians 12:3 Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking under the power and influence of the [Holy] Spirit of God can [ever] say, Jesus be cursed! And no one can [really] say, Jesus is [my] Lord, except by and under the power and influence of the Holy Spirit. (Amplified Bible)

So, lets just say, "God see's the heart, (its motives and intentions), so He tunes into the ones that are true.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 4:37:55 PM PST
Craig says:
I have said "Jesus is Lord" many times and meant that with all my heart. Will that save me?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 4:36:02 PM PST
Craig says:
G. J. Stein says: "Unless you limit this to some sort of obvious negative behavior, isn't your suggestion a bit vague? The word sums up our expected behavior as "Love does no harm to it's neighbor therefore love is the fulfillment of the Law"."

There are many thing I have seen Christians do that brings harm to their neighbor, I would rather not start naming thing though, that is why I was vague. Do you think it is not possible for Christians to harm their neighbor?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 4:32:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012, 4:33:48 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Craig: His name was never Jesus Christ. Certainly His mother never called Him that.

GJS: Got ya...

GJS: Otherwise what name will every knee confess when it bows in the end?

Craig: Good question, do you have an answer?

GJS: Yes, "Jesus is Lord" in whatever tongue they happen to speak.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 4:27:59 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Hey Craig, if I could but in:
You said: "I know many non-Christians who love, and many Christians who do not love, what do you think about that in light of those verses?"

Unless you limit this to some sort of obvious negative behavior, isn't your suggestion a bit vague? The word sums up our expected behavior as "Love does no harm to it's neighbor therefore love is the fulfillment of the Law".

This seems to me like a universal concept that has great potential.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012, 4:22:11 PM PST
Craig says:
G. J. Stein says:
"When you suggest people can be right with God but not even know the name of Jesus Christ,
are you saying they may know him by some foreign word?"

His name was never Jesus Christ. Certainly His mother never called Him that.

"Otherwise what name will every knee confess when it bows in the end?"

Good question, do you have an answer?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1256 28 days ago
Last Day Biblical Prophecy is in the process of being fulfilled, the stage is being set, are you ready? Part Three 3469 1 hour ago
Jesus said... "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man cometh unto the Father but by Me." John 14:6 Part Two 9385 2 hours ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop, Part the ummm 13th 6154 2 hours ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion XXXVII 928 3 hours ago
Facts about the Bible and Christianity 1032 3 hours ago
Isn't it amazing that a son of God born from a virgin, who came to save the earth, was killed and resurrected can be found in religions that existed before Jesus was born? 7 3 hours ago
Jesus' true Church today would have CURRENT REVELATION FROM GOD! 6425 4 hours ago
Which ? 15 4 hours ago
The Father is a SINGLE God, therefore the Trinity is FALSE! 1640 5 hours ago
Why is there no Pro-Trinity threads? 276 5 hours ago
Trinity makes a mockery out of the One True God 355 6 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer