Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

The parables Jesus told

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 471 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 3:25:18 PM PST
Vicki says:
Dear Robin,

I agree.

I think sometimes, in the desire to be obedient to God (which is a good thing), we start making the mistake of trusting in our own righteousness, instead of Jesus'. Trusting in our own righteousness generally leads to judging others, I think. And that is not what Jesus wants us to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 2:48:47 PM PST
Robin MacKay says:
How sadly our present world is lacking such humility and honesty is yet another indication of how far we have drifted from the love of God.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012, 7:12:48 AM PST
Vicki says:
Another parable-

Luke 18:9-14

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable:

Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: God, I thank you that I am not like other men-robbers, evildoers, adulterers- or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.

But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner".

I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God.
For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

Jesus already stated what the parable means.
Would anyone like to discuss the application of this parable for people in today's world?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 2:04:26 PM PST
Vicki says:
Dear B. Nixon,

Yes, it is sad that there were people in Jesus' day who heard him preach, saw how he lived, and watched him perform miracles, yet couldn't accept who he was.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 10:42:19 AM PST
BKN says:
Sad, also...because He knew...not all were...true. After all, Jesus knew all about Judas, who had three and a half years of listeneing learning and experiencing Jesus' teachings and power. THEREIN is the perfect example of "ever learning, and never coming to a knowledge of the truth".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 9:02:43 AM PST
Vicki says:
Dear LovedByGod,

I think what you said makes a lot of sense.

I've heard some people say that they fell away from the faith, when they became disappointed with God, in the matter of prayer.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012, 7:35:31 AM PST
LovedByGod says:
Vickie,
About the parable, when Jesus returns will He find many that believed at one time but have since fallen away because of not seeing their prayers answered. If we continue in patience asking God and waiting for Him to answer when and how He knows is best, not casting aside our trust, holding to faith that God will eventually answer, we are demonstrating our faith in Him. If an unjust judge finally gives what is needed, surely the most righteous Heavenly Father will give His children some kind of compassionate answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 6:57:01 AM PST
Vicki says:
Dear B. Nixon,

That is interesting. I have to admit that I wasn't looking at the whole chapter, when I picked the parable. The question about "will there be faith?", could be a warning.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 6:40:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012, 6:53:34 AM PST
Vicki says:
Dear Alan,

Thank-you for your opinion. I don't agree with the claim that the Bible has been fundamentally changed over the centuries by accident or design, to the point that we can't tell truth from additions and we can't spot the manuscript errors.

And I can see how hard it is, since you aren't a Christian, to read passages in the Bible and understand what they mean. It isn't like you can put on your 'Christian hat' and suddenly see the Bible from our perspective. :)

What about the stated point of the parable- that we are to keep praying and not give up?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012, 12:03:55 PM PST
BKN says:
"Jesus was giving orders to them, saying, "Watch out! Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees (and Saducees) and the leaven of Herod."

"So Jesus, by His use of the word leaven in these three instances, is warning His disciples of the danger of allowing their thinking to be assimilated to that of the world around them, the world of the Pharisees, Sadducees and Herodians. And if we are to judge from the use of the word leaven in the rest of the Scriptures - an unseen pervasive evil influence - we have to interpret the parable of the leaven as a picture of the spreading of evil within the church."
(the end of an article by Yves I-Bing Cheng, M.d.,M.A.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 10:21:02 AM PST
Astrocat says:
Vicki, I can see that you think these are different entities, but of course I disagree. However, thanks for your response.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012, 7:57:42 AM PST
Alan says:
Vicki,

You mean what did I mean by my suggestion that it was a later addition by a different author?

The Bible as I understand it is a collection of texts by various authors, written at different times, in different circumstances, and for different purposes. Many of these texts are of uncertain origin and have been altered over the years, both by accident and on purpose.
I offer the suggestion that the passage, which you identify that does not seem to fit where it is found, has been added by somebody else at some time after the rest of the text had already been written. That would certainly explain your observation, though, of course, it might not be the correct explanation.

Or did you mean how should we interpret the phrase "When the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

I don't know what this means. This is one of the problems with the Bible, there are so many possible interpretations, that nothing is certain. I suppose this is one reason for there being so many different Christian sects, each convinced that they own the truth and that the rest are in error.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 7:11:13 AM PST
Vicki says:
Dear Alan,

You said :"Perhaps it was a latter addition by a different author."

That wasn't exactly where I was going with the question, but anyway-
what do you think the statement means?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 6:41:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012, 3:33:39 PM PST
Alan says:
Vicki,

You ask:

"But Jesus seems to add the statement at the end, almost like an after thought-"When the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?" What do you think this last statement means- or is it just a rhetorical question? It doesn't seem to go with the next parable."

Perhaps it was a later addition by a different author.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012, 6:05:49 AM PST
Vicki says:
Here is another parable:
The parable of the persistent widow

Luke 18: 1-8 (NIV)

Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. He said,
"In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men.
And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, "Grant me justice against my adversary'.
For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!'"

And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly.
However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

I realize that the parable message is already explained in Luke 18:1-keep praying and don't give up.
But Jesus seems to add the statement at the end, almost like an after thought-"When the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?" What do you think this last statement means- or is it just a rhetorical question? It doesn't seem to go with the next parable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 5:05:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012, 5:50:01 AM PST
Vicki says:
Dear Alan,

Well, at least Jefferson believed that Jesus actually lived and he was good. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 5:00:38 AM PST
Alan says:
Vicki

"Those bits that are left merely point to Jesus as a "good man" who purportedly had a ideal behavioral code for people to live by."

Yes, but those are the bits with which Jefferson did not disagree and with which you do not disagree. This is the common ground that exists between you. It is always good to find areas of agreement even though on other aspects of religion you will be at odds.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 4:54:33 AM PST
Vicki says:
Dear Doctor,

You said :"What knd of "Hell" do you believe in?"

Permanent separation from God in a place where there is no more hope and no more blessings from God. Not a good place to be, at all.

According to a statement or two of Jesus', the day of Judgment will be more bearable for some unbelievers than others. Could this indicate that there will be levels in Hell? I don't know-maybe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 4:44:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012, 5:02:41 AM PST
Vicki says:
Dear Alan,

You said :"Vicki, the common ground is the bits that Jefferson left in his edited version of the Gospels, and very good bits they are too. The same bits that you love and revere. And what wonderful bits they are."

Those bits that are left merely point to Jesus as a "good man" who purportedly had an ideal behavioral code for people to live by. That is just a shadow of who he really is. Jefferson, when he went couponing for the Jesus he thought he could admire, reduced the power and the point of his message, when he cut out the divine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 4:38:44 AM PST
Vicki says:
Dear Nancy,

You said :"Vicki, surely you mean that our perceptions of Christ differ. How could the Entity we both know as Christ change its quality just because each of us sees it differently?"

No, I'm not saying that our perceptions of Jesus are just different.

I'm saying that the entity that you call Christ, that you say has come to earth at times before Jesus,
is NOT the Messiah, the unique Son of God who lived a sinless life, gathered disciples so he could teach them about the Father's kingdom, and about why the Messiah had to die (for our sins), and who arose from the grave in his resurrected body, and who ascended to be with the Father in the same resurrected body, who sent the Holy Spirit to all who believe in him, and who will be our judge at the End of Days when he returns.

Surely you can see that we are not talking about the same thing at all, when we use the term, "Christ"?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 1:44:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012, 4:49:08 AM PST
Alan says:
Doctor

"This is what happened, it was to show the sinner what the results of sin were, death. a very messy death."

It is not surprising that a Fire-Gift is thought to be suitable for a Fire God. Apart form that it shows me that this was written by barbaric people for barbaric people who created a God in their own image.

What a waste of good meat.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 9:31:04 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Well, Doctor, since we are now living in a "new age", I'd say we're all "new agers", whether we like it or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 9:30:19 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Doctor, I've never made a secret of the fact that I do not take any scriptures literally. If, for you, that means I don't "believe" in the Bible, I'd say you're living in a kind of fantasy world, where words written two to three thousand years ago, are taken as absolute and scientific fact. And you're casting aspersions at me?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 8:52:39 PM PST
Doctor, Source=bible, Revelation 12;1,2,5 as John sees in Heaven Mary, as mary is the woman who gave birth to Jesus, the male child born to rule the nations,. Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Jesus our Great God and Saviour

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 7:46:07 PM PST
Doctor says:
Ah, I forgot, you are a "new ager".
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1266 Jul 21, 2017
Catholic-Protestant Discussion XXXIX 5162 7 hours ago
One Book One Authority by Dr.Douglas D. Stauffer 579 7 hours ago
Part 3- the somewhat newer thread 3039 7 hours ago
Are the Father and Son both YHWH? 989 7 hours ago
My Mob Pub and Coffee Shop, Parth the Thirteenth 3203 7 hours ago
Last Day Biblical Prophecy is in the process of being fulfilled, the stage is being set, are you ready? Part Three 7266 9 hours ago
More discussions on Mormonism 1324 9 hours ago
Facts about the Bible and Christianity 4054 10 hours ago
I completely understand now why Mormons aren't Christians. 9191 10 hours ago
Jesus said... "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man cometh unto the Father but by Me." John 14:6 Part Three 9903 22 hours ago
Work's salvation? 21 22 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  471
Initial post:  Oct 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers