Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Is Christopher Hitchens in heaven?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012, 11:28:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012, 11:31:56 PM PDT
Birutegal says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012, 11:29:24 PM PDT
Birutegal says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 1:30:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Feb 26, 2013, 7:08:09 PM PST]

Posted on Aug 10, 2012, 1:31:56 AM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
Birutegal,

TRUTH always sounds arrogant to the ignorant.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 1:37:54 AM PDT
neonpisces says:
Re: "drinking a beer you know will make you feel lousy tomorrow"...[and to the post as a whole.]

You may want to switch brands.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012, 2:10:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012, 2:12:08 AM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
Every night before I go to sleep, I have my devotions.

I read at least 2 chapters from a book called "The Quotable Hitchens".

I use to fall asleep prematurely when I was a Christian and read the Bible before bedtime.

That never happens when reading the Hitch.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 3:50:14 AM PDT
BV says:
Fingers - "Convert to Christianity, shoot your neighbor in the head. No problem."

Of course there's a problem - you're going to jail and you'll suffer for your crime. Then IF you sincerely are sorry for what you did, do you think God should give you a break or say "I know you're sorry but you blew it for eternity!"?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 3:58:29 AM PDT
BV says:
Spinoza - " he was one of a vanishing breed of men who could actually get viscerally offended and disgusted by poor ideas argued poorly"

You mean like Bob Grant or Rush Limbough?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 4:00:20 AM PDT
B. Josephson says:
Well, they all died, but beyond that I do not know how they ended up, since I am not God and God has not told me.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

Posted on Aug 10, 2012, 4:04:43 AM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
Goodnight everyone.

Time to read a chapter of Hicth and go to sleep now.

"And if I die before I wake, I hope I don't forever bake".

ALOHA!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 4:13:09 AM PDT
"Then IF you sincerely are sorry for what you did, do you think God should give you a break or say "I know you're sorry but you blew it for eternity!"?"

But if you're "once saved" you have nothing to be sorry about. You have the "get out of hell free card".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 4:44:27 AM PDT
BV says:
The whole idea is that a "saved" person, based on his relationship with Jesus, will not have the attitude that he can go out now and thumb his nose at Jesus and do whatever the hell he feels like doing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 4:56:16 AM PDT
Lao Tzu says:
Depends on who he was writing them for :D

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 5:26:01 AM PDT
Banished says:
"spl: Yes, I met God. No, I didn't "see" Him visually, no one can do that and live. "

Just has a mental images of the melting faces in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

A lot of the stuff religious people believe is silly. I hope God has a sense of humor.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 5:27:32 AM PDT
Banished says:
""Whoever believes in him is not condemned. But whoever does not believe is condemned already because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God." (John 3:18)"

Let's face it, kids. God is a _mean_ bugger.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 5:29:33 AM PDT
Banished says:
""Do I think I'm going to paradise? Of course not. I wouldn't go if I was asked. I don't want to live in some (censored) celestial North Korea for one thing, where all I get to do is praise the dear leader from dawn till dusk. I don't want this, it would be hell for me."
-Christopher Hitchens "

Apparently, wherever Hitch is, I'll be there too. That makes me proud.

Of course, where we'll really be is star stuff. That's OK too. I'll be dead; I won't care.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 5:33:37 AM PDT
Banished says:
Yea, horse is a charmer all right. He and God should get along fine up their in heaven.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 5:37:24 AM PDT
Banished says:
Hah! Best post of the day, bar none!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 5:39:46 AM PDT
Banished says:
Now THAT is a thoughtful post about a thoughtful God.

I still don't believe it exists, but I wish more theists thought like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 5:42:58 AM PDT
Banished says:
"I won't go into the specifics of my experiences, but I will say they were blatant and undeniable communication from God. "

Or he imagined it. It's really really hard to tell the difference sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 5:45:28 AM PDT
Banished says:
"I believe that our consciousness or whatever that part of us it is that exists and interacts in whatever dimensions it can sense cannot be destroyed since Einstein postulated that matter and energy cannot be destroyed and no one can disprove it. Because of that, I speculate that our conscience can thrive for a while after the body that hosts it dies. I have no idea for how long,"

Just when I think I've heard it all, someone comes along with another doozy and I can once again marvel at the levels of inanity to which simple ignorance can drive us.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 5:52:17 AM PDT
Banished says:
"I don't know what more one would have to do to alienate oneself from God"

Aw, c'mon, rowley... really? Let's put Hitch up against Ken Hamm who is both ignorant AND arrogant. Or how about Hitler or Kim Jong Il or Kim Jong Sun? Let's stand him up next to the various Bishops, Archbishops and Cardinals (and the current Pope) who passed the pedophile trash around and let them abuse little children.

God's standards are bizarre.

"...I'm sure that if most people had the opportunity to judge someone who despised them in that way they would wish the worst for him."

We're talking about a God who A.) Claims to LOVE all his children and B.) withholds all empirical evidence of his existence. And he gets his feelings hurt?

Pfffft. The whole notion is childish. If God is _GOD_ then there is either no one in hell, or no one but God in heaven.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 5:55:33 AM PDT
Banished says:
Now THAT is an excellent discussion, Dr H. I read it twice and will think about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 5:57:47 AM PDT
Banished says:
We don't often agree, Fingers, but.....

Yeah, that never made a lick of sense to me either.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012, 6:00:37 AM PDT
Banished says:
"It seems to me that there are several types of atheists. There are those who are constitutionally unable to believe in anything that cannot be demonstrated and deeply distrust subjective experience. They tend to care less whether others are believers or not.

There are others who loathe religion as such. To them the existence of God is merely an interesting hypothesis. It's the hypocrisy, banality, and moral weakness of the religious that exercises them.

I haven't read Hitchen's book, but I suspect that he's the second type. "

I would appear to be both. I think you don't understand Hitchens if you don't think he was also.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 325 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1256 28 days ago
Last Day Biblical Prophecy is in the process of being fulfilled, the stage is being set, are you ready? Part Three 3469 21 minutes ago
Jesus said... "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man cometh unto the Father but by Me." John 14:6 Part Two 9385 26 minutes ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop, Part the ummm 13th 6154 28 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion XXXVII 928 1 hour ago
Facts about the Bible and Christianity 1032 2 hours ago
Isn't it amazing that a son of God born from a virgin, who came to save the earth, was killed and resurrected can be found in religions that existed before Jesus was born? 7 2 hours ago
Jesus' true Church today would have CURRENT REVELATION FROM GOD! 6425 2 hours ago
Which ? 15 2 hours ago
The Father is a SINGLE God, therefore the Trinity is FALSE! 1640 3 hours ago
Why is there no Pro-Trinity threads? 276 4 hours ago
Trinity makes a mockery out of the One True God 355 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  128
Total posts:  8125
Initial post:  Aug 7, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers