Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

The bible is irrelevant......

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 426 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 11:29:34 AM PDT
BV says:
Vicki - Perhaps he believes that an old invention known as "the wheel" is also archaic now.

PJA. The wheel is a necessary tool of engineering. It affects everyday living. If I get through a day, week or year without stopping to believe in a God, it isn't going to affect me in any tangible way....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 11:48:04 AM PDT
BV says:
Reed - "Have you seen some of the posts made by those claiming to do "God's work", etc?"

I may have not seen those.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 11:58:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2012, 12:02:37 PM PDT
Amon says:
I'm not talking about "right", "wrong", or relevancy. Relevancy is a subjective thing. I (like you) think it is irrelevant and outdated but if people wanna believe it, they can cause it their right. Since I don't think its relevant I exclude myself from it. I don't attend Sunday mass, I don't go to bible study, I don't preach, I exclude myself from it and you should too. Others wanna get up early so they can feel they're doing good by God, clearing their conscious or something else, I say have fun but as for me, I'm sleeping in.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 11:59:39 AM PDT
BV says:
PJ - "who is to say that our 21st century standards should not overturn what Jesus said.?"

From a secular point of view, there might not be any reason not to. But why would a follower of Jesus Christ ditch the things he taught?

"Most of religious believer hardly ever practice what actually is preached"

That is a problem. Don't they think that THEY'LL be sorry too?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 12:00:34 PM PDT
BV says:
PJ - "It affects everyday living."

So does God!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 12:06:21 PM PDT
Joe W says:
BV: From a secular point of view, there might not be any reason not to. But why would a follower of Jesus Christ ditch the things he taught?

Joe: I do not know of any Christians or Christ-Followers or Followers of Jesus Christ (or whatever branding you wish to apply) who consider not planning ahead for food, drink and clothing to be a good thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 1:41:36 PM PDT
Bubba says:
Christians would also have to routinely kill homosexuals; not just bully us, beat us up, and occasionally kill us.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 1:46:47 PM PDT
Bubba says:
The problem is that there is a VERY significant number of Americans who DO take your entire bible literally, and some who take portions of it very literally. I am very confused about how Christians view the OT; gays are abominations, yet it is perfectly OK to wear mixed fiber clothing and to eat shell fish.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 1:50:05 PM PDT
Bubba says:
"Me first" is not in any way incompatible with the way that xtianity is currently practiced.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 1:55:00 PM PDT
BV says:
PJ - "It affects everyday living."

So does God!

PJA. How? offer me evidence that my day to day activities will be affected if I stop to ponder a God

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 2:01:12 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
BV,
Thank you for that. My mind was blank.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 2:02:47 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Philip J Allen,
Because we are not the Son of God.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 2:03:52 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Philip J Allen,
I was happily saved from a life of sin. Of being in chains of Satan. Now I am free and love for I am loved.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 2:08:44 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Bubba,
BV already answered this one. Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." I know I couldn't cast that stone.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 2:16:52 PM PDT
jpl says:
The bible is irrelevant......

s exp says: Reed N.D. Dark, Yes it would be terrible if we all lived by the Bible. Gee, we'd have to love our neighbor as ourselves and love God with our whole being. We'd have feed the poor, help the widows and orphans. I wouldn't want to live in a world like that.

jpl: This implies, mrs exp, that all people who do not believe the same superstitions you believe are somehow "evil".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 2:19:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 11, 2012, 2:28:08 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 11, 2012, 2:24:19 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
jpl,
I don't think it implies this at all. Do you have a problem with loving your neighbor as yourself? I doubt it. It the part about loving God that annoys you and make you think that I think people who don't believe in God are evil.

Well I never said anything about evil, but if the shoe fits, wear it.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 2:34:04 PM PDT
jpl says:
mrs exp says: jpl, I don't think it implies this at all. Do you have a problem with loving your neighbor as yourself? I doubt it. It the part about loving God that annoys you and make you think that I think people who don't believe in God are evil.

Well I never said anything about evil, but if the shoe fits, wear it.
exp

jpl: Are you somehow "better" because of your superstitions, and others somehow "evil"?

I am my own god. I have compassion toward others without the impetus of superstition. It sounds to me that you are defending something. Why? Why not just go about living your merry life? Must you prove your belief to others?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 2:51:29 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
Reed, they also talk a lot about satan/devil/demons and so on. That's in addition to "death and sodomy".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 3:12:06 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Reed,

You said :"Can you see where others might react to being judge by a book/prophet they haven't seen as anything judgmental. Said another way, how would you react if someone was telling you that Mohammed would not only not approve of your choice but that he had said that you were deserving of being attacked for your beliefs and lifestyle choices?"

How would I react?

It is my understanding that many Muslims in foreign countries consider Americans to live decadent, immoral lives. I am assuming that they are comparing what they believe to be our behavior with how the Koran says people should live. The Koran, though written long ago, is still quite relevant to them. I choose not to retaliate and that includes not bad-mouthing their scriptures. My conscience is clear at present, though I can't claim that I'm innocent. God will judge me when the time comes, as He sees fit, so there is no reason for me to retaliate when people make accusations against me now, or attack me for my beliefs and lifestyle.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012, 3:14:10 PM PDT
not entirely. as a historical document it is relavent. proverbs is timeless advice for living. the problem is the bible idolator fundies who take everything in the bible as literal and out of context and studiuos ignore the song of solomon, victorian prudes that they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 3:21:10 PM PDT
BV says:
JoeW - "who consider not planning ahead for food, drink and clothing to be a good thing. "

Huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 3:21:43 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Philip,

You said (in response to my claim that the Bible is relevant to me):
"Yet none can give a good enough reason as to why....."

The Bible explains to me how I can come into and live in a relationship with God. Most modern-day philosophers seem kind of lost when it comes to the topic of God.

You said :"Humanity has progressed in the last 2000 years."

Humanity's technology and toys certainly have progressed. Humanity's knowledge of the natural world and medicine has progressed. But I would have to disagree that Humanity has progressed. There are way too many wars, too much crime, and too much poverty to make that claim, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 3:22:04 PM PDT
BV says:
Bubba - "Christians would also have to routinely kill homosexuals"

Yeah, Jesus said "Love your enemies, but kill the homosexuals."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012, 4:05:23 PM PDT
BV says:
Bubba - "the way that xtianity is currently practiced"

The way it's currently practiced by some people, or a lot of people, doesn't define it. They could be doing it wrong.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1266 26 days ago
More discussions on Mormonism 641 1 hour ago
How incredible was the growth of Christianity? 90 2 hours ago
My Mob Pub and Coffee Shop, Parth the Thirteenth 1943 2 hours ago
Facts about the Bible and Christianity 2832 3 hours ago
Last Day Biblical Prophecy is in the process of being fulfilled, the stage is being set, are you ready? Part Three 5961 3 hours ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion XXXVIII 4922 4 hours ago
Part 3- the somewhat newer thread 2396 4 hours ago
Jesus said... "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man cometh unto the Father but by Me." John 14:6 Part Three 8457 5 hours ago
Jesus' true Church today would have CURRENT REVELATION FROM GOD! - 2 284 5 hours ago
Problems with Anti-Catholicism: Who is the REAL "666"? 2687 6 hours ago
I completely understand now why Mormons aren't Christians. 8677 7 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  426
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers