Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

How many Christians truly try to emulate Jesus Christ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 230 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 7:00:31 PM PDT
Mickey says:
What's the difference between denominations in a theological sense and denominations in a temporal sense?

Well, what are the sources you've read?

Does that mean you can't?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 7:00:39 PM PDT
Thanks Doc, good to see you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 7:06:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012, 7:07:53 PM PDT
"What's the difference between denominations in a theological sense and denominations in a temporal sense?"

Because the theological definition is the only one that counts. Do you think God cares whether you are a Baptist or a Catholic? He only cares if you know him. You can't know him if you think he is someone else.

"Well, what are the sources you've read?"

Punch it into a search engine and you'll see. Plus, I have read a few books, too. Rectangular things, they existed before Kindles. Some libraries still have them.

"Does that mean you can't?"

It means I don't like one way conversations. If I am expected to give all the answers I get bored real quick. Apparently you don't even know enough about this to hold up your end of the conversation. Do some reading, then we'll talk.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 7:16:00 PM PDT
Mickey says:
But you said all people who believe in Christ are members of the church, you then said some people who believe in Christ aren't members of the church because they don't know him. How can that be?

Do you have sources for your claim Mormons and universalists believe Christ was only a man? If so, why won't you cite them? I can't read them if I don't know what they are.

You are free to ask me questions.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 7:18:16 PM PDT
LDSaint says:
What Mormons believe!

(Pearl of Great Price | Articles of Faith 1:1 - 13)

1 WE believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.
3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

JOSEPH SMITH.

Posted on May 20, 2012, 7:21:44 PM PDT
Okay I am going to try this as simply as I can:

"Yes, you said they're not Christians because they don't believe what you believe, you then said "The Church" includes all believers in Jesus Christ - which would include Mormons and universalists. Can you explain?"

Okay, if I try to call you on the phone, I dial the phone number. It has to be your phone number. If it's one digit off, no matter where that digit is, I won't reach you. God is the same way. he has revealed himself through the Church from the time of the ancients until now. Unfortunately, there are too many people who (for whatever reason) aren't happy with God's revelation or the Church's teaching, so they go off on their own. Some are right for the wrong reasons, some are wrong for the right reasons, many of them simply don't know what the Gehenna they are talking about. They follow men like Joe Smith and C.T. Russell and their half baked notions for which there is no theological justification. They have the wrong number.

They become "denominations", which God does not recognize (see Galations 3:28). However, the verse DOES say we are one in CHRIST JESUS. Not one in Joseph Smith, not one in Ellen G. White, one in Christ Jesus. Those who do not recognize him as God do not know him, and he doesn't know them.

See?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 7:24:55 PM PDT
Really bad theology there.

"we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God".

And the Muslims believe the Koran is the word of God, too. Well, we'll see, won't we?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 7:28:22 PM PDT
Mickey says:
Mormons don't believe we are all one in Joseph Smith, and universalists believe we will all become one in Jesus. Do you have sources which prove otherwise?

If God does not recognize denominations, why won't you tell me the name of your church?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 7:52:19 PM PDT
"Mormons don't believe we are all one in Joseph Smith, and universalists believe we will all become one in Jesus"

News flash, Mormons don't believe Jesus was who he says he is, they think his dad was a man who became God on some other planet. Look it up. And no, we will not "all become one" in Jesus, because some of us do not believe what Jesus said Matthew 7:13, Luke 6:46.

I am going to bed.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 7:54:42 PM PDT
LDSaint says:
Fingers

One way to see if the church is Jesus' church is to see if it has the same organization He established:

(New Testament | Ephesians 4:11 - 15)

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons)

(Pearl of Great Price | Articles of Faith 1:6)

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

How many churches believe this? However we do believe that all mankind can be saved.:

(Pearl of Great Price | Articles of Faith 1:3)

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

Everyone will have the same opportunity for salvation regardless of what church they belong to. It is all about the choices we make.

God is LOVE

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 7:55:52 PM PDT
Mickey says:
Fine, but you can't explain why your church isn't just as denominational as Mormonism. You started with No True Scotsman and you've ended with it. Good night.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 8:05:34 PM PDT
LDSaint says:
Fingers

(New Testament | Philippians 2:5 - 11)

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

God the Father was a man just like Jesus Christ was a man. Show me where this is wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 8:11:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012, 8:12:37 PM PDT
LDSaint says:
Mickey

I am a Vietnam vet also and I agree with your comments on your book review of "Vietnam Inc"

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 8:13:51 PM PDT
Mickey says:
Thank you.

Posted on May 20, 2012, 8:34:41 PM PDT
G. J. Stein says:
Gaylen said to Mickey, I am a Vietnam vet also and I agree with your comments on your book review of "Vietnam Inc"

{{{ Thanks very much for your sacrifice and service to our Country. You guys are great! }}}

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 8:43:02 PM PDT
LDSaint says:
Thank you G. J. Stein!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012, 2:45:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012, 3:01:58 AM PDT
"You started with No True Scotsman and you've ended with it."

And you started with "Irishmen are Scotsmen too" and ended with that. I can't say it much plainer than that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012, 2:54:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012, 3:01:28 AM PDT
"God the Father was a man just like Jesus Christ was a man. Show me where this is wrong."

There you have it, Mickey. This is absurd on the face of it, if you believe that God breathed the universe into existence. And if your God is a man, well, the rest starts to unravel from there.

Gaylen: We have been through all this, I can't open a closed mind. I am going to have to play the same game you guys do, unless and until you can show me a verse from the Bible saying that God was once a man from some other planet, I refuse to believe you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012, 3:46:34 AM PDT
Chuck says:
your'e assuming they are REALLY christians. Jesus said, you will know them by their fruits, ie, their life. see, Matthew 7:15-21
And He also said this, see, John 14:12-17 Remember, It was the religious leaders of the day who instigated the authorities to crucify Jesus Christ. Because a person is religious, does not necessarily mean they are right with God.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012, 4:17:58 AM PDT
Mickey says:
Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012, 4:20:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012, 4:40:36 AM PDT
Mickey says:
No I did not. Your definition of a "True Christian" is one who agrees with you and your definition of a denomination is a denomination other than yours. Need I tell you why those are unacceptable definitions?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012, 4:32:03 AM PDT
"Your definition of a "True Christian" is one who agrees with you and your definition of a denomination is a denomination other than yours."

Your hair is on fire. My definition of a Christian is someone who believes what Christians believe, and, believing that, by extension, someone who knows that denominations are illusions. I can't make you understand it.

Your argument is "why aren't these Irishmen Scotsmen? Who gets to decide who Scotsmen are?"

Sooner or later there is a point of exclusion, in the case of the Scotsman, it's his birth certificate. In the case of the Christian, it's his beliefs. What about that don't you understand, or do you think YOU should decide who are Christians (which is usually the case with non-believers).

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012, 4:46:38 AM PDT
Mickey says:
I'm not taking a position on who Christians are - you are. And by "Christians" you mean yourself and by "denominations" you mean denominations other than yours. You defined Christians as people who believe in Christ and then excluded some who believe in Christ because their interpretation is different than yours. You keep trying to deny "No True Scotsman" and you will never succeed - unless you can prove your interpretation is the correct one and your denomination is not a denomination.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012, 5:23:43 AM PDT
A Customer says:
Mickey, if an atheist who doesn't believe in God, and doesn't believe that Jesus even existed, and thinks people who do are fools, decides to call himself a Christian (because in his mind a Christian someone who is nice to other people, and that's how he sees himself) should other Christians such as for example an Evangelical Protestant, be required to consider that guy a Christian?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012, 5:41:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 6, 2015, 7:59:28 AM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1266 Jul 21, 2017
Catholic-Protestant Discussion XXXIX 6628 7 hours ago
Part 3- the somewhat newer thread 3325 7 hours ago
Facts about the Bible and Christianity 4129 7 hours ago
More discussions on Mormonism 1374 9 hours ago
My Mob Pub and Coffee Shop, Parth the Thirteenth 3317 9 hours ago
Jesus said... "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man cometh unto the Father but by Me." John 14:6 Part Three 9945 10 hours ago
I completely understand now why Mormons aren't Christians. 9223 16 hours ago
Are the Father and Son both YHWH? 1078 17 hours ago
Last Day Biblical Prophecy is in the process of being fulfilled, the stage is being set, are you ready? Part Three 7361 18 hours ago
Lectio Divina...for the building up of God's Kingdom - Part 2 448 20 hours ago
Work's salvation? 53 22 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  230
Initial post:  May 18, 2012
Latest post:  May 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers