Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

How many Christians truly try to emulate Jesus Christ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 230 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 2:20:17 AM PDT
"I don't know to break it to you, but when the Torah was presented to the people, the Bible didn't exist - which was my point - so the Torah couldn't be part of it. That's why there is a distinction between the Old Testament and the New Testament. Christians "annexed" their Good Book to that of the Jews."

I guess there is supposed to be a point in there somewhere...

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 5:06:23 AM PDT
Mickey says:
Since I'm neither Mormon nor universalist I won't take a stand on Mormonism or universalism. I do find the argument which was presented to me - "No True Scotsman" doesn't apply here because Mormons and universalists really aren't true Christians - to be without substance. I'm considering starting a thread telling Mormons and universalists some don't consider them to be Christian and asking them to respond.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 5:17:02 AM PDT
A Customer says:
It's not like that would be News to them. Btw, earlier in the thread you told me that if an atheist called himself a "Christian" that he would be lying. You do understand that many Unitarian Universalists are atheists don't you?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 5:28:11 AM PDT
Bubba says:
Not all Universalists (or Unitarians) are Unitarian-Universalists, see http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15181a.htm

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 5:30:30 AM PDT
Mickey says:
Well, why don't you ask them to respond?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 6:08:54 AM PDT
A Customer says:
Did I say all? Btw, why is it every time you show up on a thread I get a no vote, no matter how benign my post?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 6:13:05 AM PDT
A Customer says:
I was just pointing out that you did indeed say that if an atheist called himself a "Christian" he would be lying. Yet many Unitarian Universalists are atheists. You see a problem in your argument here?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 6:51:23 AM PDT
Mickey says:
Alright, since you appear desperate to find a point on which you can pin me and destroy me, I won't take a stand on who is or is not a Christian - if there's a God, I'll let him decide. Now, what about problems with your argument? Since you claim "No True Scotsman" doesn't apply because Mormons and universalists really aren't true Christians - explain exactly what a true Christian is and why.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 7:10:50 AM PDT
A Customer says:
Calm down with the drama, I am not looking to "destroy" you. I wouldn't presume to define a "True" Christian, that "True" sounds silly, something an arrogant fool would use. If I had to give a brief statement of what all Christains have in common, I would say that all Christians can say that they accept the brief summary of faith as outlined in the Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed. That would include most Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox Christians.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 7:16:40 AM PDT
Mickey says:
Why wouldn't it include Mormons and universalists?

And if you say someone isn't a Christian, although they claim to be Christian, aren't you saying they're not a true Christian?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 7:26:54 AM PDT
A Customer says:
This isn't rocket science. I just said a Christian would at the minimum believe all the statements of faith as outlined in the Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed.

And after making the promise "I won't take a stand on who is or is not a Christian" you're back to nagging me that I shouldn't not consider anyone a Christian. Of course you yourself said that an atheist (and many Unitarian Universalists are atheists and agnostics) that calls himself a Christian is a liar. Make up your mind.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 7:28:19 AM PDT
Max Flash says:
Tammy: I don't understand this. Why would an atheist address a G-d they do not believe exists?

Fingers: They're a little schizophrenic that way.

Max: Here is the post Tammy was refering to:

"G.K. Chesterton points out that when Christ called "Eli Eli lama sabachthani?" he was temporarily an atheist.

Eric Pyle"

So apparently Fingers thinks Jesus was a little schizophrenic?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 7:37:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012, 7:42:45 AM PDT
Mickey says:
Where did I tell you you shouldn't consider anyone a Christian?

What if Mormons and universalists claim to accept the Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed?

I did make up my mind - I told you my stand.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 8:04:29 AM PDT
Bubba says:
Mickey wasn't speaking of Unitarian-Universalism, he was speaking of Christian Universalism, which is different from Unitarian-Universalism and is a type of Christian theology.

Unitarian-Universalism is no longer considered to be Christian; some Unitarian Universalists are atheists and some are Christians.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 8:05:19 AM PDT
Mickey says:
Thank you - you are correct.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 8:05:56 AM PDT
A Customer says:
Atheist trolls, always trying to make it an ugly forum.

<sigh>

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 8:09:52 AM PDT
Bubba says:
Universalists believe in the Apostles Creed

http://universalistchurch.net/universalist-worship/book-of-worship-1894/apostles-creed/

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 8:30:51 AM PDT
Max Flash says:
Macheath: Atheist trolls, always trying to make it an ugly forum.

Max: Fingers is an atheist?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 9:11:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012, 9:12:32 AM PDT
A Customer says:
If a particular "Universalist" believes all of the Apostles Creed then I would say that he is a Christian.

I don't know what the heck that website is, it looks like something some guy put together. http://universalistchurch.net/about/

It talks of the "Universalist Church" which doesn't even exist anymore (according to wiki).

"The Universalist Church of America *was* a Christian Universalist religious denomination in the United States (plus affiliated churches in other parts of the world). Known from 1866 as the Universalist General Convention, the name was changed to the Universalist Church of America in 1942. In 1961, it consolidated with the American Unitarian Association to form the Unitarian Universalist Association."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universalist_Church_of_America

And as I said the Unitarian Universalists are a mixture of atheists, agnostics, and everything under the sun.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 9:24:03 AM PDT
Mickey says:
Christian universalism is a type of Christian theology which rejects eternal damnation - it says everyone will get to heaven eventually.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 9:33:44 AM PDT
Tammy says:
I didn't know this! Every time someone mentions a "Universalist church" I think they're talking about Unitarian-Universalist! No wonder it never makes any sense!

Someone mentioned to me a while back on these threads that I might like to try a Universalist church. The only one in my area is Unitarian and I know someone who is a member. Our beliefs are not at all "meshable" (if that's a word).

I think that maybe the poster who made the suggestion was referring to the Christian Universalist church that you just mentioned.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 9:36:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012, 9:36:53 AM PDT
Mickey says:
I'm not sure there is an actual "Universalist" denomination. I do know there are Catholic and Protestant universalists as well as Catholics and Protestants who reject universalism.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 10:04:05 AM PDT
"I'm considering starting a thread telling Mormons and universalists some don't consider them to be Christian and asking them to respond."

You act like you are hearing this for the first time. This is what slays me about uneducated laymen who want to talk religion in a place like this without even having a clue about what the issues are.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 10:09:57 AM PDT
Bubba says:
http://www.christianuniversalist.org/

"Are you looking for a faith that boldly proclaims God's unfailing love for all people? A faith that accepts Jesus as Savior and holds him up as someone who shows us the heart of the Creator, as someone everyone can follow with joy and integrity -- and yet a faith that does not use fear of eternal hell as a stick to force you into the fold?"

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 10:10:37 AM PDT
Bubba says:
http://www.christianuniversalist.org/
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1261 7 days ago
I completely understand now why Mormons aren't Christians. 6739 10 minutes ago
Unity 25 20 minutes ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop, Part the ummm 13th 8905 57 minutes ago
Are you washed? 96 59 minutes ago
Indiana Don't Ask Don't Tell? 27 1 hour ago
Jesus said... "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man cometh unto the Father but by Me." John 14:6 Part Three 2597 1 hour ago
How does hell make the universe a better place? 1852 1 hour ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion XXXVII 2023 2 hours ago
Agnosticism is fake religion 276 7 hours ago
Last Day Biblical Prophecy is in the process of being fulfilled, the stage is being set, are you ready? Part Three 3999 10 hours ago
Jesus' true Church today would have CURRENT REVELATION FROM GOD! 8559 18 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  230
Initial post:  May 18, 2012
Latest post:  May 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers