Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Catholic Claims and Christianity

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 135 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 5, 2012, 1:30:53 PM PDT
QUESTER says:
I'll start the new discussion ... because there were some posts I didn't get to answer.

This is one ...

Raulito says:
Russell,,

"works are baptism as part of salvation..."

Scripture says "Repent, and be baptized each one of you in the name of the Jesus Christ FOR the forgiveness of your sins..." Acts 2:38.

Russell says baptism is a work of salvation while the Bible says we are to be baptized for the forgiveness of sins.

Do we believe the Bible, or Mary?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul says that God will forgive us our sins, ... if we but confess them.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity.

Do you believe this ?

Posted on Sep 5, 2012, 1:32:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2012, 7:25:46 PM PDT
QUESTER says:
QUESTER says:
Here is another ...

Raulito says:
Quester,

The Church is called the "Body" of Christ, its his own Body, the very extension of Christ here on earth, as true God and true man.

You didn't know that?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
So ... does that mean that Christ no longer has the body (of flesh and bones) He was resurrected with ?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 1:46:18 PM PDT
Hey Quester, I was wondering if we could exchange email information and fellowship and talk?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 1:52:33 PM PDT
QUESTER says:
I'll work on putting an e-mail link on my profile page.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 2:42:02 PM PDT
(From your other thread)

Jesus has His own Body. But the Church and all its members are called the body of Christ, as well. Too, the Eucharist is Christ's Body and Blood. But this does not mean that Jesus does not have a divine Body that is sitting at the right hand of the Father - because He is there, too!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 2:46:11 PM PDT
QUESTER says:
Thank-you, Faith.

I appreciate your contribution.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 2:53:03 PM PDT
libloon2 says:
QUESTER says: //I'll start the new discussion...//

Question: After 10,000 postings, back and forth, day after day, hasn't ONE of you stood to be corrected and accepts the "truth" the opposing poster puts forth?

Otherwise, what good is this forum for?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 3:54:38 PM PDT
You're welcome, QUESTER -

Although I can't imagine why anybody would no vote your good manners...?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 4:08:51 PM PDT
QUESTER says:
libloon2 says:
QUESTER says: //I'll start the new discussion...//

Question: After 10,000 postings, back and forth, day after day, hasn't ONE of you stood to be corrected and accepts the "truth" the opposing poster puts forth?

Otherwise, what good is this forum for?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Discussion ... that's what people do ...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 4:09:51 PM PDT
QUESTER says:
Faith says:

You're welcome, QUESTER -

Although I can't imagine why anybody would no vote your good manners ... ?
----------------------------------------------------------------
It takes all kinds ... Faith.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 5:58:22 PM PDT
neonpisces says:
I believe that the idea of "praxis" comes into play when we're talking about works. In a nutshell, praxis means that one practices what one believes. When we say that faith is demonstrated by works, it's exactly that. Faith in Christ cannot help but reveal itself in actual works.

And I guess we need to define the concept of "works" as opposed to legalism. Faith is not derived from works. Nor is love (I Cor: 13 - everyone's memorized it). Works are an outpouring of God's grace, through His Church, to the rest of humanity.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 6:04:46 PM PDT
neonpisces says:
> So ... does that mean that Christ no longer has the body (of flesh and bones) He was resurrected with ?

I wasn't at the Ascension, but I'll bet that as Christ rose, His true nature was revealed - and that he ceased to be flesh and blood mid-flight. I see Him as transfigured into a being of absolute light as He approaches, and is absorbed into, the Godhead. I expect that it was blinding...something St. Paul might attest to.

That's a personal speculation. Not the teaching of the Church. But that's what I conjecture.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 6:21:09 PM PDT
neonpisces says:
Jesus and the Father are one. He is no longer constrained by flesh and blood. Insofar as He has an earthly presence, it is through the Church.

...And QUESTOR, by that I don't mean that He resides in a city block in the middle of Rome. Rather, He resides in those that He has chosen: Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Fundamentalist, Coptic, Nestorian...and I dare say Jewish, Baha'i, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Unitarians, Quakers, Mormon and the rest - even those persnickety Adventists who hate Catholics so much. I believe that this is what Matt: 25 alludes to.

Point being that He has done the choosing, and He has humanity's interests at heart. He loves us. We are called to respond.

The Church Militant (look it up) is the repository of Truth. She possesses the knowledge of that by which we are saved. That knowledge has been passed down, generation by generation, from the Apostles.

God looks at the heart of the believer and yearns for the salvation of all human beings.

THAT should spark some discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 6:29:53 PM PDT
QUESTER says:
neonpisces says:

Jesus and the Father are one. He is no longer constrained by flesh and blood. Insofar as He has an earthly presence, it is through the Church.
So ... in your view, does Jesus also reside away from earth (i.e. at the metaphorical right hand of God), ... and is that where He will return from when He comes back ?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 6:30:59 PM PDT
QUESTER says:
neonpisces says:
> So ... does that mean that Christ no longer has the body (of flesh and bones) He was resurrected with ?

I wasn't at the Ascension, but I'll bet that as Christ rose, His true nature was revealed - and that he ceased to be flesh and blood mid-flight. I see Him as transfigured into a being of absolute light as He approaches, and is absorbed into, the Godhead. I expect that it was blinding...something St. Paul might attest to.

That's a personal speculation. Not the teaching of the Church. But that's what I conjecture.
----------------------------------------------------------------
So then, ... what is your view of the Eucharist ?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 6:40:56 PM PDT
neonpisces says:
Insofar as Jesus is both the Son of God...and God...

I really don't have a problem with Him being in two places at the same time. Let's talk about God for a moment.

We are dealing with a being that is far beyond our comprehension. He exists outside of space and time. You cannot get a fixed location on Him, yet He is everywhere - even, according to scripture, in Sheol. He knows all, understands all. He out-Freuds Freud. He can see into our psyche - we are transparent to Him.

If you're asking me how He is constrained, then I have no answer for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 6:55:11 PM PDT
neonpisces says:
> So then, ... what is your view of the Eucharist ?

I believe, on faith, that the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. As a result, I treat it *very* seriously. One does not participate flippantly.

For example, I haven't participated in it for some time. I'm waiting to get up off my buttocks and get to confession first. (That stuff in the movies where you can go into a church in the early AM on a Saturday night, and have a priest hear your confession...it ain't true. More's the pity.)

Somewhat different - but related subject. Protestants don't have much occasion for meditative community prayer. Note that I'm not saying there's none, but there's not much emphasis on it.

*Every* sacrament in the Church involves prayer. I'd suggest that this emphasis on prayer is what truly differentiates Catholic Christianity from Protestant. We anticipate the presence of the living God as the focus of our worship.

The constant, insistent invitation to approach God is a big reason why I approached the Church, and eventually joined with her.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012, 7:10:11 PM PDT
neonpisces says:
Let's not down vote QUESTER. These are reasonable questions.

This is not the Pac-12. There's no teams in play here.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 7:24:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2012, 7:32:19 PM PDT
QUESTER says:
neonpisces says:
Let's not down vote QUESTER. These are reasonable questions.

This is not the Pac-12. There's no teams in play here.
Hopefully this thread can allow participants to share without the flailing of fragile egos.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 7:31:54 PM PDT
QUESTER says:
neonpisces said ...

Somewhat different - but related subject. Protestants don't have much occasion for meditative community prayer. Note that I'm not saying there's none, but there's not much emphasis on it.

*Every* sacrament in the Church involves prayer. I'd suggest that this emphasis on prayer is what truly differentiates Catholic Christianity from Protestant. We anticipate the presence of the living God as the focus of our worship.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps I don't understand what you mean by "meditative community prayer". I'm sure that you know that all Protestant gatherings will involve group prayer, ... so I'm not quite catching your meaning.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 7:46:09 PM PDT
From what I understand -

When Jesus rose from the dead He had His Body (remember, He ate) but apparently it was changed as He appeared in that room through a locked door...

Of course we're going to have to wait for an exact explanation. Even then I might not understand the technical terms, but I'm sure it'll be interesting. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 8:03:37 PM PDT
neonpisces says:
> I'm sure that you know that all Protestant gatherings will involve group prayer

Of course they do, and I don't disparage that. I've had very deep moments in prayerful communion with Protestants - remember I used to be one.

However the emphasis on prayer is intrinsic to Catholicism. Unless you understand how deep this runs, you will not understand Catholicism. Meditative prayer is a discipline that is continually reinforced. By meditative, I mean not just intercessory prayer. I mean meditating on the mysteries of the Passion. THAT is what is central to Catholic worship. It all comes down to the event of Jesus Christ and seeking to incorporate that mystery into our lives.

Even the Rosary, (which is completely misunderstood by most Protestants), is more about Jesus Christ than it is about Mary - and is used to deepen the encounter with Christ and His sacrifice.

"Meditation" is a loaded term. Suffice it to say that meditation in the yogic sense seeks to acquire spiritual knowledge and power.

In the Christian sense it is preparation for meeting God.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012, 8:15:12 PM PDT
neonpisces says:
> Hopefully this thread can allow participants to share without the flailing of fragile egos.

Agreed.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012, 9:31:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 6, 2015, 8:05:32 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 6, 2012, 5:09:35 AM PDT
Wow...

Six people participating, but eight people voting.

Gee, I wonder who they could be...LOL! ;]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1266 27 days ago
Jesus said... "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man cometh unto the Father but by Me." John 14:6 Part Three 8557 28 seconds ago
Last Day Biblical Prophecy is in the process of being fulfilled, the stage is being set, are you ready? Part Three 6086 2 minutes ago
Jesus' true Church today would have CURRENT REVELATION FROM GOD! - 2 298 3 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion XXXVIII 5036 4 minutes ago
My Mob Pub and Coffee Shop, Parth the Thirteenth 1952 19 minutes ago
Problems with Anti-Catholicism: Who is the REAL "666"? 2692 57 minutes ago
Facts about the Bible and Christianity 2860 1 hour ago
Part 3- the somewhat newer thread 2404 3 hours ago
More discussions on Mormonism 661 4 hours ago
The End Times Countdown 595 5 hours ago
I completely understand now why Mormons aren't Christians. 8681 7 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  135
Initial post:  Sep 5, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers