Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One ft Vant PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

What do Jews think about the "star of David" symbol?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 108 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2012, 8:30:51 PM PDT
Joe Wall says:
Just wondering how Jews feel about this symbol which is on the flag of Israel. Please state what you believe it represents and what it means to you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 8:34:02 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
What a strange question. The Star of David is historically the symbol used to denote Judaism. Do you have a problem with that? Why even ask the question?

Posted on May 7, 2012, 8:35:32 PM PDT
Joe Wall says:
dont have a problem with the concept. Just wondering what it means to those who call themselves Jews.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 8:52:22 PM PDT
That is of interest to me as well. Where does it come from? Certainly not King David.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 5:44:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012, 5:48:10 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Concept? It is the visual symbol of Judaism. Historically it is associated with King David. What more do you need to know?

Here is a link to a Jewish site that explains the meaning and history of the Star of David. You could have googled and come up with this yourself.

http://judaism.about.com/od/judaismbasics/a/starofdavid.htm

Posted on May 8, 2012, 5:52:36 AM PDT
Tammy says:
You should go to the "Tidbits" thread and ask Hanalah. She does not misunderstand when non-Jews ask questions out of interest. She actually encourages it and seems to enjoy discussing her faith with others.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 6:00:38 AM PDT
Symbols make a very big difference to the God that Jews worship. If a person looks into the Bible they will find outward signs of being a Jew, like a certain color of thread on the fringe of their skirts, the way they are to grow beards and so forth. But there is not any symbol that stands for them. It was a few outward signs and their obedience to Jehovah God which was to serve as a witness to the surrounding nations that their God is Jehovah of Armies, the Almighty, Creator of all. The same actually goes for true Christians. It is how they behave, the work they do, how they treat each other and outsiders which would reveal that they are truly Christians. However, the "'disgusting thing' standing in a holy place" which Jesus referred to as Daniel's prophesy (Matthew 24:15; Daniel 11:31) were the Romans as they dug up underneath the temple and so came onto sacred ground in 66 C.E. The Romans (and every other ungodly nation and group) use symbols to rally their ranks and have pride in a thing or idea. Their symbols were called "ensigns" which they carried out in the forefront of the army and which they worshiped as the symbol of their gods and country. In contrast, Jehovah God is the rallying point for true worshipers of God and he is offended that any symbols be used to do what his place his. God grants his worshipers the ability to "see" him in a symbolic/spiritual sense and then be directed by him without attention to outward things. (Hebrews 11:27) God is a Spirit and those worshiping him must worship with Spirit and Truth. (John 4:24)

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 6:15:45 AM PDT
anne says:
S. Kessler: <Historically it is associated with King David.>

anne: Since it is associated with King David, why isn't it mentioned in rabbinic literature until the middle ages?

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 6:50:43 AM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
The 7-stick menorah is the "symbol of Judaism."

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 7:33:18 AM PDT
anne says:
Kevin: <The 7-stick menorah is the "symbol of Judaism.">

anne: I believe that it's another one, but this conversation is about the star. Perhaps you want to start another thread asking about that one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 8:28:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012, 8:33:23 AM PDT
Joe Wall says:
This is the point, which leads to my original question.
The Star of David is not mentioned in rabbinic literature until the middle ages. It was during the latter part of this era that Kabbalists (Jewish mystics) began to associate the symbol with deeper spiritual meaning.

So the star symbol is really associated with Kabbalist mystics and not your average biblical Jew.
So do Jews support this Kabbalist symbol as a symbol of their own religion? Why or why not?

Shall we discuss the 2 triangles which mean God is light and dark?
Do jews agree with this concept, represented by the kabbalah star symbol?

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 8:51:29 AM PDT
Emma says:
Kabbalah is not a separate religion from Judaism, it is part of Judaism. It is like asking why something from a spiritual teaching of Christianity is accepted by Christians. It was chosen in modern history to represent Jewish communities, like on the flag of Israel. Most Jews don't learn Kabbalah in depth, so when they see it, it just represents the Jewish People, not the elevated concepts of Kabbalah. It's not something most people question, since it has been around for so long. Maybe if you asked Jews in the middle ages, you would have gotten more people questioning the use of the Star of David as a symbol, but for people of today it is simply a fact of life. Most people don't question symbols unless there is a reason it is offensive. We all learn about our Country's flag, and why they picked it in elementary school, but we usually don't dwell on it. I don't spend time re-imagining the American Flag with a different configuration of colors or symbols, because why would I, it's a great flag and represents a Country that I love. Looking at it makes me think of America, in a similar way that looking at a Star of David makes me think of the Jewish People or the Country of Israel.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 8:54:23 AM PDT
Joe Wall says:
Shall we discuss the 2 triangles which mean God is light and dark?
Do jews agree with this concept, represented by the kabbalah star symbol?

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 8:56:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 8, 2012, 9:00:37 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 9:00:05 AM PDT
Because he was a faithful worshiper of Jehovah. Note my latter post in this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 9:18:03 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
How totally irrelevant to the question posed in the OP, Dan, or to my comment upon it.

Of course symbols are important.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 9:19:33 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Just because it may not have been mentioned before the middle ages, if that is true, doesn't mean it wasn't associated with King David.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 9:21:31 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
And you base this on what, exactly? Yes, the seven-branch menorah is A symbol of Judaism, but not the only one. And then there is the nine-branch Chanukah menorah. Also A symbol of Judaism.

See, you can have more than one symbol, right? Christians have the cross, they have the dove, they have the halo. They have more than one symbol, too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 9:23:42 AM PDT
mrs exp says:
S Kessler,
What does the nine-branch Chanukah menorah stand for? I have always wonder why nine instead of seven.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 9:25:19 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
If the symbolic value began among the Kabbalists, there is no reason it wouldn't have been adopted more widely by Jews. Your question is a non-starter. It's been a millennium since the Kabbalah was written and studied. That's plenty of time for a symbol to be attached to a religion. Clearly, Jews understood the association between King David and his reputedly star-shaped shield, and the association became universalized.

As far as what "Jews agree" on, there is much diversity of Jewish opinion on many topics. There is no one authority in Judaism to represent what all Jews think.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 9:26:25 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Thanks, Emma. You put that much better than I was managing to.,

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 9:27:28 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I can assure you that the vast majority of Jews do not think of this at all. We just look at the Star of David and we know it means "us".

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 9:31:22 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
The nine-branch menorah is used only for Chanukah, the "Festival of Lights". It is used to symbolized the eight nights/days that the oil lasted during the seige of the temple during the Maccabbee revolt that drove out the Hellenizing Greeks. The ninth candle, which is the one in the center, is always lit first and used to light the other candles, each day adding one more candle until the eighth night is reached.

During all other times, the 7-arm menorah is used. And I don't know why a 7-arm candelabra (menorah) is standard in synagogues. Will have to look it up.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 9:33:46 AM PDT
Joe Wall says:
So are you a jew? You claim this star even though you dont know what it really means right? Someone told you it means israel and you believe it? Kabbalah is way different than anything in the Old testament.
Do you personally agree that God is both dark and light, like the star symbol implies? Or do you just follow the traditions of men?

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012, 9:35:22 AM PDT
mrs exp says:
S Kessler,
Thanks, it was a miracle.
exp
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1266 Jul 21, 2017
Catholic-Protestant Discussion XXXIX 6486 9 hours ago
Last Day Biblical Prophecy is in the process of being fulfilled, the stage is being set, are you ready? Part Three 7340 9 hours ago
Part 3- the somewhat newer thread 3285 10 hours ago
One Book One Authority by Dr.Douglas D. Stauffer 642 11 hours ago
My Mob Pub and Coffee Shop, Parth the Thirteenth 3311 11 hours ago
I completely understand now why Mormons aren't Christians. 9221 13 hours ago
Trump mimics chimpanzee behavior 9 13 hours ago
Are the Father and Son both YHWH? 1071 15 hours ago
Facts about the Bible and Christianity 4123 17 hours ago
Seriously, Do you really think a loving God would play hide and seek with us? 217 18 hours ago
Work's salvation? 51 19 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  May 7, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer