Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Which Ulrich Roth Scorpions Album is your Favorite?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 25, 2010, 10:37:44 PM PST
Trout Voice says:
They were all good, that's for sure, but which is the best?
"Fly to the Rainbow" (1974)
"In Trance" (1976)
"Virgin Killer" (1977)
"Taken by Force" (1978)
I don't feel that it's fair to include "Tokyo Tapes" (1978) since it's Live and a Double album.
And then of course I would be curious if you think that Electric Sun- "Earthquake"(1979) or "Firewind"(1981) are better than any of the Scorpions work?

Posted on Feb 26, 2010, 5:48:58 AM PST
ApeTit says:
I like "Taken by Force" the best although I like all mentioned. "In Trance" is my second favorite although most would prefer "Virgin Killer". "Fly" has more jazz inflection and I come from a heavy metal background. I grew up in the 80's and was unaware of the Scorpions' early work until much later. Wouldn't it be nice for them to re-release all in deluxe edition format with bonus tracks. With them breaking up, I think that would be a nice touch.

Posted on Feb 26, 2010, 5:59:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2010, 6:08:20 AM PST
"Virgin Killer" is my favorite, but they're all great in their own way. "Taken by Force" is probably my least favorite of the four, even though 3 of the songs are among their best ever (Steamrock Fever, We'll Burn the Sky, Sails of Charon). But Virgin Killer is just a monster all the way through.

Posted on Feb 26, 2010, 6:16:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2010, 6:17:55 AM PST
SGs&Strats says:
The only studio album I bought was Virgin Killer, but its great (i bought a "best of" collection as well). A fave track would be "Catch Your Train". Uli lights 'em up on this one.

I read an interview with Rudolph back in the '80s and he related a story where he was hanging out with Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth (not sure if they were touring together or what), and they suddenly started singing the chorus to Rudolph, which surprised him..."an American band that knows one of our songs", or something like that.

Eddie and David told him that they covered that song alot in the clubs when they were starting out. Nice pick guys.

Posted on Feb 26, 2010, 6:25:17 AM PST
ApeTit says:
I do like Virgin Killer, don't get me wrong but I prefer the others. People only familar with "Rock you like a Hurricane" should definitely check out the 70's output. Hey, there's no good new bands, might as well go backwards! Some may disagree but I loved the Scorps last album "Humanity Hour I". I thought it sounded modern but still with the band's special nuances. I am looking forward to the follow up to be released in a couple of weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010, 6:50:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2010, 7:03:30 AM PST
SGs&Strats says:
I saw The Scorps in the summer of '08 (bone bash, a local radio station "Party") and they were actually quite good (sorry if anyone thought i was picking on any other releases, i just never got around to buying any others).

Your assesment of being "modern but with the bands special nuances" (Jabs era) now is spot on. When i saw them, they tuned down a half-step, played some drop D type tunes and their amps had a modern Distortion edge (Hughes-Kettner, Diezel...can't remember). But even my wife liked them.

BTW...just check your profile and was "Black Rock" by Joe Bonamassa on your wish list.

I did not know this was on the way (bought "the ballad of john henry"...donated it to the library a week later)
Thanx for the heads up!!!

Posted on Feb 26, 2010, 7:19:44 AM PST
"Fly To The Rainbow" followed very closely by "Tokyo Tapes"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010, 7:34:20 AM PST
I've been listening to these albums since about 1980; Tokyo Tapes was my favorite LP throughout high school. Restricted to the studio albums, I'd have to say In Trance. It was just such a leap forward, and way ahead of its time. Fly to the Rainbow seemed like a Dawn Road album for the most part, and the soloing, to me, is among Roth's most pedestrian output. But the first four minutes of the next album ("Dark Lady") are just brutal, and I love the ballads, too.

You can read my Amazon review of Fire Wind to see how I feel about that one!

Posted on Feb 26, 2010, 9:23:00 AM PST
My favorite is Virgin Killer, with In Trance and Taken By Force next in line....however all those are great.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010, 10:42:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2010, 10:43:43 AM PST
Trout Voice says:
317 East 32nd,
I just read your excellent review of "Firewind" !
I compare Uli Roths singing to Rory Gallaghers in a way. Not that they sound even remotely similar, but that nobody else could sing those songs the way that they envisioned them when they wrote them, therefore you are getting the most "Pure" & "Original" version of the song that can possibly exist!
I have always thought that "Earthquake" and "Firewind" were of equal stature and in my opinion are the best recordings available from Uli.
I saw Uli perform in San Francisco in 1985 and in Ruetter, Idaho in 2008. The 2008 show was from his "Under a Dark Sky" tour and he played for 2 hours (first hour was new material, second hour was Scorpions & Electric Sun). My Photographs from that show are viewable at- www.magicalmomentphotos.com if anyone would like to see them.

Posted on Feb 26, 2010, 10:55:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2010, 11:13:20 AM PST
In Trance.

I got this dvd comp of ELECTRIC SUN and has a good amount of material spanning 78-83. I'm slowly gathering Uli's solo material. He's great.

Posted on Feb 26, 2010, 11:03:06 AM PST
ApeTit says:
Now if the Scorpions would release the Tokyo Tapes on DVD. Huh? Nice to dream, isn't it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010, 11:04:12 AM PST
this is how i rate them:

1. In Trance
2. Fly To The Rainbow
3. Virgin Killer
4. Taken By Force

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010, 11:08:31 AM PST
ApeTit says:
Glen, I got into Joe a couple of years ago. Only have "Blues Deluxe" and "Sloe Gin". What else should I get of his? Is "Henry" good/worth it?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010, 5:50:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2010, 5:50:23 PM PST
Ape,

re: Tokyo Tapes on DVD?

Holy Moly! If only! I'd be there before you can say "Jack Robinson".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010, 7:40:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2010, 7:58:11 AM PST
SGs&Strats says:
Hi ApeTit...

I gave You and Me a 5 star rating here at amazon. Check it out if you get a chance.

The Ballad Of John Henry... that was a dissapointment only because i rec'd a Guitar Player cover story with Joe and expectations were high. When I donated it to the library (my wife tried to talk me out of it,btw), i thought they'd put it into circulation, so people could check it out.
But instead they put it up sale for $3.00...my wife saw it... I went back to re-buy it, and it was gone.

I really like "You and Me" and "Had to Cry Today" as well as "New Day Yesterday" and "Sloe Gin".

Blues DeLuxe is great as well, but for some reason it seemed more like a head-cutting sesssion than anything else (imho)... Long Distance Blues KILLS though.
I am eagerly awaiting Black Rock ... now i'm sorry i let my GP subscription lapse.

Posted on Feb 27, 2010, 9:10:28 AM PST
ApeTit says:
Glen,
Thanks for the info on Joe's other albums. Have you heard of this chick Joanne Shaw Taylor? I ordered her CD on Amazon the other day, it should be here early next week.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010, 10:34:06 AM PST
SGs&Strats says:
Hi Apetit, Thanx for the response (and you're welcome).

No, I haven't heard Joanne yet but there was an interesting article/interview in Vintage Guitar magazine awhile back (she plays a Tele w/a HB, Albert Collins like...sweet) and her name has come up in threads here @ amazon.

Folks seem to like her. I gotta check out some of her material. Thanx again for the heads up.

I'm fixing to go to my fave "source for sounds" (vinyl solution,sm,ca) in a bit. "Against the Grain" is calling. I'll look for JST while i'm there.

Posted on Feb 27, 2010, 6:46:11 PM PST
ApeTit says:
It's funny how this thread evolved into blues guitarists. Oh well, have you heard Lance Lopez? Very Hendrix derived but good playing.

Posted on Feb 28, 2010, 3:00:44 AM PST
Greenalishi says:
1)In Trance ,2)Fly to the Rainbow,3)Tokyo Tapes,4) Virgin Killer, 5)Taken By Force. I remember buying In Trance and Lonesome Crow after falling in love with Loverdrive . They were so different but I loved em both . Uli, neoclassical before the term was coined- along with a bluesy, emotional,fluid burst of chops no one could touch but without ego or overdone showmanship- such a great player, Sails of Charone baddass, his feel man!! He played Hendrix inspired licks but was still his own man . I dissagree that Tokyo Tapes is just a live recording of studio songs, it rewrites the book of the Scorpions, its not just a reprint of the studio recordings it stands on its own.

Posted on Feb 28, 2010, 10:08:17 AM PST
Trout Voice says:
Anthony,
Who are you disagreeing with about "Tokyo Tapes" ?
I thought it would be unfair to have it in the comparison since it is twice as long as any of the studio albums (not to mention that everyone would probably pick it based on the version of "Fly to the Rainbow").
I love "Tokyo Tapes" and think it would be grand if there were video of it available as well.
In case any of you out there need a quick link to a killer video of early Scorpions playing "Speedy's Coming" then please head right this way>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTC8t_o8kXc

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2010, 1:30:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2010, 1:46:50 PM PST
SGs&Strats says:
Thanx for the heads up about the Scorps YouTube vid, i'm on my way (i saw a nice vid of I Ain't the One this morning..."old grey whistle test" appearance from '76,courtesy of a poster @ Harmony Central...great way to start a day).

ok ...the Scorps vid is great--- "Great Early Scorps" from '74.

I watched it twice. The first thing i thought to my self was 'why does Uli's trem bar look like it's 2 feet long?' then i looked down at the latest comment and someone wrote "Uli Roth has an iron bar for a whammy...". i thoght that was pretty funny.

Thanx again for the rec.

Posted on Feb 28, 2010, 11:50:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2010, 11:53:36 PM PST
Greenalishi says:
O.K. sorry about Tokyo tapes . I love that record , but i will not include it . How about Lonesome Crow? Thanks for the video tip, very cool. Have you seen the Live at Wacken DVD?

Posted on Mar 1, 2010, 8:02:40 AM PST
@Anthony
Lonesome Crow was great, but i don't think Uli was on that record.

Posted on Mar 1, 2010, 8:36:40 AM PST
ApeTit says:
No Michael Schenker was on that one. Very weird sounds. Couldn't get into that one. Love UFO though!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Feb 25, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers