Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

The Led Zeppelin Discography Breakdown Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 890 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 5:53:38 PM PST
Bernard J. says:
I could be anal, but I think it's 'cheesy' rather than 'cheezy'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 6:00:52 PM PST
Topper-You never know. I had a post deleted in a thread about naming your favorite beer. I wrote N*gra Modelo (An actual beer) and it was deleted but, someone else posted the actual N-word and it wasnt deleted. Go figure!

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 6:09:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013, 6:22:44 PM PST
@Buck Buckaw: LOL

@Exile: Although LZ II is largely considered an all-time classic, I actually like it a bit less than LZI and find it ever-so-slightly overrated. That being said, I mostly agree with you on side one. "Whole Lotta Love" is of course one of the greatest rock songs of all time; the middle theremin freak-out is my favorite part--and I'm surprised you find Plant tolerable on the song, as he moans and orgasms with satanic ferocity during that bit, although you probably meant the verses--but the whole thing is a gas. I like that the song is bigger and louder and widescreen, and the middle part has its own momentum which I don't think breaks up the song at all, only adds to the excitement. I also think it's an interesting left turn in the middle of the song, that other hard rock bands usually wouldn't have the imagination for.

"What Is And What Should Never Be" is actually even better, my favorite song on the album. A very melodic set of verses and memorable chorus; the band didn't need to steal from anybody this time and this was their best original composition to this point. The slide work is exquisite and the song is very tight and direct.

I agree that "The Lemon Song" is the weakest thing on side one, although I wouldn't go quite as far as to call it "filler". The overall band sound and production (esp Bonzo) is still very good here--but it is one case where I concur that the band overextended themselves, stretching out the riff past its expiration date (it's OK, but it's not exactly the riff on "Whole Lotta Love"). Page's solo is good but nothing spectacular; the whole thing would have been much better at three minutes. So, at least here, I can understand where your usual critique of LZ fits.

"Thank You" is another five-star classic and more proof that the band could, even at this early stage, write outstanding original material. I don't have much to say except that it, along with WIAWSNB, are the two most heartfelt tracks on the album. So far, outside of "The Lemon Song", LZII is shaping up even better than the debut--with much the same sound and vision, but more polished and with even better material. Side two is where I think the album runs into a few minor problems, but more on that when we get to it...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 6:11:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013, 6:11:32 PM PST
@Bernard J.Ryan: it's a colloquial way of spelling the word, to emphasize its difference from simply meaning "made of cheese".

@McNary: Wow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 6:26:40 PM PST
Bernard J. says:
MT
I was aware of the colloquial meaning, but thought 'cheesy' was the spelling for both meanings!
Keep thinking it still is...

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 6:32:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013, 6:33:26 PM PST
@Bernard J.Ryan: I have seen it colloquially spelled with the "z". It's not wholly "accurate", but it's my preference since it brings the point of its definition home.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 6:35:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 8, 2013, 9:37:41 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 6:40:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013, 6:40:46 PM PST
@Buck Buckaw: *weird*. Just how is that word really offensive, anyways? I've used the words idiotic and moronic at various times to describe AlexMontrose's curious mental condition, which I would think are worse. I guess I'll just have to restrict myself to those, LOL.

It's harder when a post is deleted after twenty minutes like that, especially for me since my posts are lengthy and sometimes it's hard to retrieve them again, if I've gone back and forth on my web browser in the time since the original post (I got lucky with the one today).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 6:44:11 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 8, 2013, 9:37:50 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 8:10:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013, 9:02:07 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Topper,

Re : You said you wouldn't waste bandwidth, then went into another lengthy ten-paragraph scourge of pointless insults and mindless repeats of the same misguided argument you used in your last post. Not surprising.

Great "comeback" Topper. Go to Wal Mart and buy some game.

If I said you were a clueless moron one more time would that be an oxymoron? Did you ever walk to the library or were you dropped off by your butler? Because someone as clueless as you about the simple basics of human interaction, I can't believe your dainty little feet ever hit the street.

I won't even bother going over your all your inconsistencies with all the singers, some of the singers, the rest of the singers, the 80's singers, the cheezy singers. I already made a fool out of you in the last post.

Let's jump straight to your latest deer in the highlights (you like that Topper ?, that was for you...and Ogre :) But let's go right to your deer in the headlights, astounding ignorant, clueless, I have no idea what I'm talking "description", or should I say another one of your fantasies about how DP recruited Gillan....

Mmmmm, Topper says because he wasn't singing Deep Purple style with Episode Six he never attempted to sing any other way. Didn't know how, never raised his voice. Ya know, when he auditioned for Ritchie and the Boys or when he was in the shower, etc. Are you really saying this? I'll wait for my answer.........................................................................................................Times Up. I guess you really are saying this.

Do you think there was any chance that Blackmore and Lord hung out with Gillan a little bit? Maybe had him sing some different, heavier songs than he was doing in Episode six at the time to see what he was capable of? Any chance of that Mr Topper? Because if you don't think that happened there are no words in the English language to describe how clueless you are. It's infinite, unfathomable, beyond all comprehension. And your fantasizing that Gillan must have heard Plant sing and *then* raised his voice for his audition with Purple is a perfect example of who you are. In essence a complete hack. Who was that guy on Oprah that was exposed for writing a non fiction book that was totally made up? That's you. Throw out your *retarded* fantasies about what Gillan was doing, was capable of in 1968 and that's supposed have one shred of significance? It doesn't, it's all in your mind. It's the way you want it to be. Period. Simple as that. The fact is, without you or me or anyone else having to be there in '68, '69 was that they knew what they were getting with Gillan. Knew he could sing Deep Purple style because they hung out, got to know each other. They didn't show up at one Episode six gig, hear one song and leave. They heard him sing numerous times, numerous ways. And it pains me to say this but it again is beyond all human comprehension that *you* think that Gillan never raised his voice in some higher register, hard rock style during that whole period when Purple was hearing him sing.
You are literally retarded if you believe that.

I will give you a *bit* of credit though. Barely. You did say :

It's an educated guess, and a totally plausible one considering the abrupt and extreme change in Gillan's vocal style from Episode Six in 67/68 to his work in DP.

Saying it's an "educated guess" is one of the rarer than rare moments when you showed a spec of humility. You can think Plant had some influence on Gillan the rest of your life for all I care but I choose to give both these legendary artists their due. That's something you can't do. You can only make up stories but speak as if they are facts as if you were a roadie with both Purple and Zeppelin in the late 60's. I choose to make sense, knowing what *any* musicians/band would do when auditioning a new singer. Of course Gillan sang his as*off auditioning for Purple, raising and lowering his voice and everything in between. This is a no brainer. You choose to make things up. Like duhhhhhh Gillan just sang in monotone, there is no way he had an upper register before he heard the Zeppelin album. LOL........Wow.

I hope you get better in 2013 Topper, I really do. It wouldn't be as much fun but I feel like I'm contributing to your increasing dementia. And I just hope for your sake that you can look at some of these fantasies you have, take a step back and say.... I need to start dealing in reality. It won't take anything away from your heroes. I promise. You can still think that Lord owes his whole style of playing to Emerson and that Gillan ripped off Plant. I'm just saying, baby steps. The next time you feel the need to make up some complete fantasy story about an artist, just take a step back and consider how foolish that is. The *story*, the way it happened, the facts were obviously different than your fantasies and/or opinions. Which means you don't just make something up to suit your own needs. Does that make sense? I hope so, I really tried there ;) Just try dealing in some reality Topper, that's all I'm asking.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 8:13:00 PM PST
Kreutzbear says:
I have little to no insight to offer on the topic of Led Zeppelin, but I do have an anecdote.

My wife and I have been together for 38 years now, and I own two complete sets of Zeppelin on vinyl: one all original releases and the other the Classic Records reissues of several years ago. I have never played much Led Zep in her presence but when I do she invariably asks who that is that's on the turntable. I then ask her if she likes it and she has always answered "yes". When I tell her its Zeppelin her response is "I didn't think you liked Zeppelin". And I always reply "I like Zeppelin. I just don't play them much."

Take from that what you will, if anything, and good night.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 9:00:58 PM PST
>>.....one all original releases.....<<

If they are original copies in good nick you are sitting on an investment friend.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 9:19:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013, 9:49:41 PM PST
Has anyone here noticed that after you pare all the Walmart and wikipedia and library and POS and other insults from Alex's posts, there's about two *actual* sentences of argument left?

"I already made a fool out of you in the last post."

OMG no words... (shakes head)

"Maybe had him sing some different, heavier songs than he was doing in Episode six at the time to see what he was capable of? Any chance of that Mr Topper?"

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind--and I immediately dismissed it, unless we are talking about the period post-LZ's debut when he finally joined. I already explained why, but as I said you require things repeated to you over and over, so I'll say it again for your edification. Aren't I nice? So here we go:

"And it pains me to say this but it again is beyond all human comprehension that *you* think that Gillan never raised his voice in some higher register, hard rock style during that whole period when Purple was hearing him sing."

It's not beyond ALL human comprehension, but it highly strains credibility, to put it *mildly*. We have the Episode Six records (and *you* were the one who brought up his work in Episode Six, REMEMBER?). We have live youtube clips of them performing. All the evidence *we actually have*--and not just some made-up fantasy in your head of Gillan possibly singing in private in a high-pitch register--points to Gillan using only his normal register at that time. You accuse me of making up fantasies, but I go with the evidence that is there--it is you who seem to make up all this stuff about details of a private audition, how DP asked him to sing in high and low registers, etc. Rod Evans didn't sing in a high-pitch register, and he got in the band. By 1969, yes, DP probably wanted someone who could do the high-pitch thing being popularized by LZ, and Gillan fit the bill. But before 1969? What *actual evidence* do you have, and not just fantasy scenarios of Gillan singing his high-pitch wail to them in private, and in private only?! I quote from my last post: "but you don't think if Gillan had discovered back then that he could sing with that high-pitch wail (and knew that sort of thing would be popular), he wouldn't have used it?! Get a clue!!"

Clearly, the "clue" continues to elude you. I'm not saying Gillan wasn't *capable* of that high pitch before 1969--he obviously had the same vocal chords in 1967 as he did in '69. But he didn't *use* it until after Plant and LZ broke through. He had all those years to wow people with it (well, other people, not me, LOL), and never bothered--because it never occurred to him. It never occurred to *any* singers to sing that way, until Plant. You don't think Episode Six wouldn't have jumped at the chance to showcase a vocal wail in one of their songs like the one Gillan used on "Child In Time"?

Get a clue.

"The *story*, the way it happened, the facts were obviously different than your fantasies and/or opinions."

Once again, just hold the mirror to yourself on this statement and the shoe fits.

"If I said you were a clueless moron one more time would that be an oxymoron? Did you ever walk to the library or were you dropped off by your butler? Because someone as clueless as you about the simple basics of human interaction, I can't believe your dainty little feet ever hit the street."

...and I should be reviewing your Lucifer's Friend and Vast albums...why was that, again? I can't seem to think of a good reason...I wonder why...

Talk about "social interaction skills", ROTFLMAO

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 10:36:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013, 10:39:10 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Re : and I should be reviewing your Lucifer's Friend and Vast albums...why was that, again? I can't seem to think of a good reason...I wonder why...

I started at the end of your post because it's more than obvious you have nothing left. Just regurgitated "explanations" of your sad lonely fantasies. Why waste time with that? You are officially mentally ill. But if you noticed and you never do when you copy and splice sentences to suit your own pathetic agenda I added an LOL to...How are those Vast, LF reviews going? In other words, I didn't expect you to do them....now ;) But because you are so chronically unable to deal in reality, you actually and probably think I said that with a straight face. Like hey man, how 'bout those reviews? No Topper, do you think I expect you to do something like keeping your word? Something that is truth based? Honest? That's not who you are. You are a person who lives in a fantasy world, so truth and fiction are interchangeable, all mixed up in that damaged goo you call a brain. Do 'em or don't do 'em. Up to you.

Ahhh Topper, we always get to the point in these debates where it's crystal clear you spent too much time in the library and not enough time with real people. For me to even have a need to explain that Gillan sang his as* off for his numerous auditions and gigs for Purple and you want to argue this obvious fact shows for the millionth time how sad and delusional and desperate your arguments are. Because you fantasize that Gillan heard Plant and then completely changed his way of singing.....mmmmm where have we heard that pathetic fantasy before? I told you to try and deal in reality but you can't. All you have is your dreams, the way you want it to be. And you convince yourself of these things despite the fact that any reasonable person would say, as you also said, yeah naturally Gillan had the same vocal chords in '67 as he had in '69. Congratulations. You become more lucid there, at least for one sentence.

I mean, just to help you out a little, you're main argument is that Gillan must have heard Plant sing in a higher register so that's why all of a sudden Gillan thought to do it. That would be like saying if Lake or Palmer went to check out Emerson with the Nice before ELP was formed and he was playing a mellow song without all his usual pyrotechnics then he, Emerson, could not have ever played anything other than that mellow style. He never would have done a crazy solo on his keyboard because it never would have dawned on him to do that. Just like it never dawned on Gillan to raise his voice *ever* in '67 or '68. Seek help Topper, please. You won't be able to type your hogwash when they wrap you up in the white suit the way you're going.

Hey how are those Vast and Lucifer's friend reviews coming along ?....;) (That's a smiley face)

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 11:03:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013, 11:18:01 PM PST
@AlexMontrose: "You are officially mentally ill."

Clearly, *you* have no game left since you're now blatantly stealing my lines to you.

"No Topper, do you think I expect you to do something like keeping your word?"

Not if the person wanting me to review their albums is being a total insulting azz, why should I?

"For me to even have a need to explain that Gillan sang his as* off for his numerous auditions"

Yeah, the one in June 1969. Six months after LZ's debut. Put two and two together.

"yeah naturally Gillan had the same vocal chords in '67 as he had in '69. Congratulations. You become more lucid there, at least for one sentence."

...but you leave out the most important part: why didn't he USE those chords in '67 like he did in '69? Huh?

"Just like it never dawned on Gillan to raise his voice *ever* in '67 or '68."

Precisely. Like I said, it didn't dawn on *any* male singers to sing like that. Name me one person who sang in that style, in any musical genre from opera to rock'n'roll, before Plant. Just one. It's not coming down on Gillan to say that it didn't occur to him, and it's far more reasonable to think that it never occurred to him, than that it *did* but he curiously never *once* used that voice on record with his pre-DP band.

"That would be like saying if Lake or Palmer went to check out Emerson with the Nice before ELP was formed and he was playing a mellow song without all his usual pyrotechnics..."

A totally and wildly inaccurate analogy, since this then assumes that I'm going by only "one" Episode Six song and somehow missing all the Gillan excitement, as you say Lake and Palmer would have if they were only going by one mellow Emerson number. Fact is, I have heard a good 80% of Episode Six's slim catalog now and seen all the available youtube live clips (I've actually been filling out the gaps in my knowledge of their music today as a result of this thread, doing YOUR homework for you and trying to find even a single instance of Gillan raising his voice *even once*. There is none). Their Feb '67 psychedelic single "Love Hate Revenge" is a good song, as was their last single, Feb 69's primarily instrumental "Mozart Vs. The Rest" (even though "Mozart" is a total rip-off of Love Sculpture's "Sabre Dance" released a few months prior...the guitar work is arresting, however, and I suspect Blackmore might have played uncredited on it, as it sounds like him). But no example of Gillan's later vocal style. He would have used it on record if he could, that's a no-brainer. And even if you're right (and you're NOT) and he *was* singing that way in 1967, but only in private or for his buddies in DP as you fantasize, it would have been really shortsighted and stupid of him not to put it on record or sing like that in concert. It's easier (and actually more compassionate) for me to believe he just wasn't aware of that method of singing, just like every other singer at the time and throughout recorded history, before Plant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 11:12:53 PM PST
Exile says:
Buck:

I have never listened to the single version. I prefer the full albums versions of songs just about everytime. This may be an exception so I'll have to check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 11:13:20 PM PST
Exile says:
Yes, me too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 11:19:49 PM PST
Exile says:
Topper:

The only real moaning I hear coming from Plant is in the middle section. A little I don't have a problem with, its when he seems to go over the top and overdoes it. Plants vocal is excellent on this song.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 11:22:44 PM PST
It would be interesting to see if you can get it from somewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 11:24:12 PM PST
>>I prefer the full albums versions of songs just about everytime.<<

As do I, as is the case with "Whole....."

But back then I had little choice.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 11:41:09 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 1, 2013, 11:44:28 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 11:44:15 PM PST
Exile says:
Whole Lotta Love/Baby Come on Home

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 12:47:06 AM PST
Wow, I did not know that.

$12 dollars seems a bit steep for a single though.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 8:12:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013, 9:05:34 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Topper,

LOL....when it's a fore gone conclusion that you're tapped out and beat you resort to what comes natural for you. I'm not a doody face, you are !!! You're so pathetically desperate you resort to telling me I'm stealing your lines when if I had a nickel for every time you did that from my posts I could retire tomorrow. And after you've done it so many times, rehashed my words, pasted my quotes, etc, etc I laugh, knowing you are getting crushed and ready to give up. At least this time you didn't beg me to leave you alone. Now you've come full circle, steal my stuff, then tell me....no you stole my stuff doody face ! More great comebacks from a guy who never had any game (Whining endlessly is not game) and probably zero human interaction.
You had to be home schooled by the hired help....right?

What are those kids doing outside Mr Cheevers ?
Well, they're playing Micheal.
Playing? Why aren't they home, reading books and going on Wikipedia ?
Well Michael, they're five years old and that's what kids do. Play with their friends. It's healthy and creates good interaction skills. And it's fun. They will read soon enough. Besides, Wikipedia hasn't been invented yet.
Oh okay. Thanks Mr Cheevers. Fetch me my slippers, will you ?

When you don't know what you're talking about, constantly using this false argument that he wasn't singing a certain way in another band, then we have come to the end of the road. That's your only "evidence" that Gillan either didn't think of or wasn't capable of hitting some high notes. You seem to finally understand that naturally he could hit some high notes if he wanted to. But hadn't thought of it yet because he never heard Plant do it. LOL....they're coming to get you Michael...
This makes sense to you. That's what's so sad.

Again, I know having an imagination is not your strong suit but try imagining if Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Weber of Jesus Christ Superstar fame were looking for someone to sing the part of Jesus. Someone who could sing the music they've written. And they asked Ian Gillan if he wanted to play the part. As you probably know that is in fact what happened. So the album came out in 1970 but if the music was written in '68 or 69 (obviously it was on the drawing board then) and Weber asked Gillan to sing some of the emotional songs of JCS that would required his full range, highs, lows, everything in between....he would have said uhhh sorry pal...I haven't heard Plant do it yet so can't help ya.

LOL....like I said Topper you live in a stilted world of your own fantasies. And for some reason the thought of another musician doing something as good or better than your boyhood heroes scares the hell out of you. You'll have to look into that. In the meantime, Gilllan sang high notes, low notes and everything in between, he just didn't do it (according to you) with Episode Six. Uhhhh because it was different music. But as you have admitted of course he could do it if he choose to.

So we have come down to your fantasies, believing Gillan only thought of hitting a high note once Plant did it. Never before, never in a audition, never in private, never when practicing, never when he was younger singing along with his real influences, Little Richard and Elvis, never in a gig that you wouldn't see on youtube. I mean just never, until Plant decided to raise his voice one octave for one line. THAT'S when the thought occurred to Gillan to use his range. Hey, I have this voice where I can go up now when I sing ! Thank you Mr Plant, if it wasn't for you I never would have been a rock singer. Or maybe I would have but I just would have flat lined it, sang in monotone. Never would have realized you can go up with your voice !!!

Hid under the covers Michael, tell Mr Cheevers not to answer the door when they come looking for you.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 8:19:42 AM PST
B. rogers says:
Ahhhh....how i would LOVE to have my own "Mr. Cheevers" to assist me in my day-to-day toils. But anyways...Alex...is it true that Gillan only demonstrated his high-range to people "in private" before Led Zeppelin burst onto the scene?

P.S. LOVE the "Hey, how 'bout those reviews?" line. It gave me a good morning chuckle.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  890
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer