Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Great band, awful singer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 10, 2012, 6:17:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012, 6:20:02 AM PDT
BigBadAzz says:
My top choice would be:
Pavlov's Dog - David Surkamp

Fantastic band of musicians, but their vocalist sounds like a castrated kookaburra crossed with Yoko Ono.

Now your turn!

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 6:25:05 AM PDT
Lisa J. Fiel says:
Guns and Roses, great band and axels sounded great but its his awfull selfish,(the world revolves around only me)BAD ADDITUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 6:30:30 AM PDT
BigBadAzz says:
re: Axl Rose,

And he sounded as if he was constipated too!

Posted on May 10, 2012, 6:32:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012, 6:38:24 AM PDT
B L T says:
Rush

(good band, awful singer)

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 6:37:55 AM PDT
BigBadAzz says:
B L T,

I knew Rush would be one of the first ones mentioned. Geddy Lee gets a lot of flak for his vocals (especially on the earlier albums). I am a big fan, but I can see where you and many others are coming from. His singing is an acquired taste.

Posted on May 10, 2012, 6:38:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012, 6:39:38 AM PDT
The Meat Puppets (Curt Kirkwood) - by the time he got around to singing in tune, the band had lost what magic they had
The Flaming Lips (Wayne Coyne) - not particularly bad, but time and time again his voice is the deterrent that keeps me from getting into this band, despite decades of trying. I still have the majority of their albums though, in the hopes that someday I'll come around.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 6:41:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012, 6:42:05 AM PDT
BigBadAzz says:
re: Flaming Lips,

Yeah, I've found Wayne Coyne to be a bit whiney myself...

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 6:43:59 AM PDT
B L T says:
They say Sushi is an acquired taste, but it's raw fish to me :)

Posted on May 10, 2012, 8:54:36 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
Motley Crue is my usual example. Though it is debatable whether they're a great band.

Posted on May 10, 2012, 9:15:48 AM PDT
Dugan Nash says:
RED. HOT. CHILI. PEPPERS.

Love Flea, love Chad, love whoever they have playing guitar this week.

Anthony Kiedis though... not good. It's not that his voice is that bad, but it's very limited, and most of his lryics just seem dumb to me (with some exceptions for sure, but in general, he's no Dylan!). Then I heard that song where he was too lazy to even write lyrics and instead just scatted -- "ding, dinga boom, de shinga dida beem" -- and I was out.

Posted on May 10, 2012, 9:36:04 AM PDT
The Grateful Dead. And with them that would be great band awful singerS.

Posted on May 10, 2012, 11:36:36 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 10, 2012, 11:43:20 AM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
The Dave Matthews Band

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 12:49:23 PM PDT
Dugan Nash says:
So you're saying Geddy Lee sounds like raw fish?

Posted on May 10, 2012, 1:26:59 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 10, 2012, 1:33:59 PM PDT
Exile says:
YES!

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 1:40:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012, 1:41:19 PM PDT
B L T says:
Little known trivia fact:

Geddy Lee was ridiculed in grade school for sounding like raw fish and was given the nickname "Guppy" by his schoolmates. All the mean little boys and girls taunted him endlessly with this little ditty: "Rush Rush Rush away! Here comes Guppy Lee today! Guppy Guppy Guppy Lee, rock singer HEE HEE HEE".

Now you know...the rest of the story.

Posted on May 10, 2012, 1:57:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012, 2:02:54 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
White Stripes. Though "Seven Nation Army" is a great song, I can't seem to warm up to Jack White's voice and enjoy any of their other stuff.

@D. Mok, I agree about the Cranberries. I remember a few years back when they were popular. I would cringe every time I would hear her singing. And worse yet, that style of singing was popular and copied for a few years.

Smashing Pumpkins, I know people criticise Billy Corgan but I love them, singer and all! But some of those other groups , are you serious? Talking Heads, David Byrne is like IT!

Tom Petty has a bit of the "Bob Dylan" syndrome going on! And red hot chilis, it's hard to imagine them with a different singer.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 2:02:27 PM PDT
BLT,

You've got to be kidding.

Posted on May 10, 2012, 2:07:11 PM PDT
Sister Hazel

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 7:49:43 PM PDT
BigBadAzz says:

Posted on May 10, 2012, 8:52:41 PM PDT
Music Lover says:
Jane's Addiction-Perry grows on you and it fits the music but he'sreally nasal and whiny.
Patterson Hood-Drive By Truckers
Ted Nugent-when he sings more than 1 or 2 leads per album. if he stuck to that and let St.Holmes or Charlie Hahn sing 80% of his records he was good

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 9:34:45 PM PDT
BigBad-I like Dave Mustaines vocals but, I also like Bobby Blitz Ellsworth, Lemmy Kilmister, Tom Araya, Geddy Lee, Bon Scott and David Lee Roth's vocals.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012, 2:33:34 AM PDT
BigBadAzz says:
@vivazappa,

Usually yours and my opinions are pretty congruent, but I really gotta disagree with you about Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots/Velvet Revolver). I think he's one of the best modern rock singers around, and certainly one of the most versatile. He literally can sing any style of music, from grunge to glam to Beatleseque pop as well as lounge jazz.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012, 6:31:46 AM PDT
C. Harding says:
alysha25: And red hot chilis, it's hard to imagine them with a different singer.
-------------------------------------------

I absolutely agree with that statement, but it still doesn't make him good. And I'm not necessarily saying he's bad....I could go either way there. But I agree it wouldn't be the RHCP's without Keidis. That goes for any band that has a singer with a very distinctive voice. Guns n Roses, Megadeth, Coheed & Cambria.......none of them would be the bands they were or are without the voices that front them because the voices are so distinct and unique, but I wouldn't necessarily call any of those guys great singers.

Particularly in rock and blues, sometimes it's more about personality, presence and emotion than it is about vocal ability with a lead singer. One the best examples I can think of is Bon Scott, the original singer for AC/DC. I don't think anyone could argue he was a great vocalist, but his stage presence and ability as a performer and entertainer was so incredible, it completely trumped any shortcomings in his vocal ability and he was one of the best frontmen ever in rock.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  May 10, 2012
Latest post:  May 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.