Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Top 50 Van Halen Songs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 9, 2012, 11:30:29 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Here's an opportunity to list your favorite Van Halen songs. Feel free to list as many as you like - don't feel constrained by 50 (more or less). After a couple of weeks, I'll total the points and report the top vote getters. The more you list, the higher number of points your top songs will get (if you list 50 songs, #1 = 50 points).

Posted on Jul 9, 2012, 11:37:23 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Here are my picks. If you want your picks totaled with the others, please provide your list in ranking order.

1) Unchained
2) Panama
3) Dreams
4) And The Cradle Will Rock
5) Ice Cream Man
6) Good Enough
7) Feel Your Love Tonight
8) Mine All Mine
9) Everybody Wants Some
10) Poundcake

11) Best Of Both Worlds
12) Eruption / You Really Got Me
13) Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
14) Humans Being
15) Mean Street
16) Jump
17) Hot For Teacher
18) Why Can't This Be Love
19) Runaround
20) Beautiful Girls

21) Get Up
22) Runnin' With The Devil
23) AFU
24) As Is
25) Dance The Night Away
26) Girl Gone Bad
27) Finish What Ya Started
28) Stay Frosty
29) The Full Bug
30) Jamie's Cryin'

31) Intruder / Pretty Woman
32) Judgement Day
33) Me Wise Magic
34) Cabo Wabo
35) Take Your Whiskey Home
36) Atomic Punk
37) Outta Space
38) Big Fat Money
39) Source Of Infection
40) 5150

41) China Town
42) So This Is Love
43) Right Now
44) Spanish Fly / DOA
45) Won't Get Fooled Again (live)
46) Intro / Little Guitars
47) Amsterdam
48) Could This Be Magic
49) Dancing In The Street
50) Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posted on Jul 11, 2012, 11:55:53 AM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Where are the Van Halen fans?

Posted on Jul 11, 2012, 12:18:02 PM PDT
Exile says:
Top 5? Ok, but top 50? That's too much. And who really reads anyone else's lists anyway? LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 12:42:29 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Feel free to list 5, if you feel that's appropriate. I like to look over the other lists because I'm curious to see how others' perspectives differ from mine. I might not see value in some tracks that others really like and I can listen to them again to see if I've missed anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 12:46:18 PM PDT
Exile says:
I'll list my top 5 but I'm only familiar with the DLR era, other than the MTV hits with Sammy..

Dance The Night Away
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Mean Street
And The Cradle Will Rock
In A Simple Rhyme

I guess give me the first 4 albums with Roth + the latest and I'm set.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012, 1:31:09 PM PDT
Music Lover says:
Here's mine:

1. Mean Street
2. Runnin With The Devil
3. ..And The Cradle Will Rock
4. Hear About It Later
5. Feel Your Love Tonight
6. Everybody Wants Some
7. Unchained
8. D.O.A
9. Ice Cream Man
10. I'm The One
11. Take Your Whiskey Home
12. Sinner's Swing
13. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
14. Dreams
15. Panama
16. ON Fire
17. The Full Bug
18. Romeo Delite
19. You Really Got Me
20. Beautiful Girls
21. Ain't Talkin Bout Love
22. Finsh What Ya Started
23. Jamie's Crying
24. China Town
25. One foot Out The Door
26. Little Guitars
27. Hot For Teacher
28. Love Walks In
29. So,This Is Love
30. House Of Pain
31. Judgement Day
32. 5150
33. Jump
34. Bullethead
35. Fools
36. Pretty Woman
37. Dance The Night Away
38. Right Now
39. Outta Space
40. Poundcake
41. Atomic Punk
42. Dirty Movies!
43. Why Can't This Be Love
44. She's The Woman
45. Good Enough
46. In a Simple Rhyme
47. Top Of The World
48. Summer Nights
49.Hang 'Em High
50. Loss Of Control

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 1:40:41 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
5:15:

I never understood the appeal of "In A Simple Rhyme" - I'll have to check that one out again. To me it seemed like a filler track and the only blemish on an otherwise fine album.

Your other selections are all fantastic songs though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 1:43:44 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Great list, Music Lover. I'm a little surprised to see "Hear About It Later" listed so high, however. It's a good song, but not a standout IMO. Maybe I didn't like it as much because its tempo is a little slower. I like the guitar at the opening and the bridge part in the middle though.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012, 5:46:18 PM PDT
Music Lover says:
T.Boyle-Always loved that slow tempo chorus in Hear About It Later-it's the closest Dave came to singing with a little emotion-instead of the usual tongue in cheek, joke's on you baby.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012, 10:34:28 AM PDT
Here's my top 24. Just Roth era. I confess I'm not really familiar with Van Halen II, though I do own it, I was just real late buying it. It definitely sounds good (better than when I first heard it years ago, which is why I never bought it until now), but I regret that I can't recall any particular songs at this time, other than the hit. Oh yeah and "Beautiful Girls", which I've never liked. Anyway, here tis:

1. And the Cradle Will Rock
2. Atomic Punk
3. Running With the Devil
4. Little Guitars
5. Hot for Teacher
6. Unchained
7. Dirty Movies
8. Everybody Wants Some
9. Ain't Talkin Bout Love
10. Where Have All the Good Times Gone
11. Girl Gone Bad
12. Hang Em High
13. Mean Street
14. Loss of Control
15. Eruption
16. Intruder/Pretty Woman
17. Panama
18. Top Jimmy
19. Dance the Night Away
20. The Full Bug
21. Drop Dead Legs
22. On Fire
23. Jump
24. I'll Wait

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012, 12:25:42 PM PDT
Exile says:
I've always loved that song, Boyle. It's energetic, great melody, the quiet middle section (You could hear the angel's singing) fits well and then the band blasts back into hard rocking, and the closing of the song is a great ending.

As for Hear About It Later..Used to love it, now not as much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012, 4:34:09 PM PDT
B. rogers says:
Agreed, 5:15..."In A Simple Rhyme" is quite a different track than most of the *classic era* Van Halen. I've always really liked it...a lot!

Posted on Jul 16, 2012, 8:22:35 AM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Anyone else want to chime in with a list? 50 songs is just a suggestion, but feel free to include as many as you want.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012, 5:48:42 PM PDT
mil6161 says:
My top 5: 1). Mean Street. 2). Hot for teacher 3). Unchained 4). Where have all the good times gone. 5). Ain't talkin about love.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012, 6:10:49 PM PDT
t.Boyle-I cant believe I missed this. Here's mine
1. On Fire
2. Unchained
3. Light Up The Sky
4. Aint Talkin Bout Love
5. Me Wise Magic
6. Bottoms Up
7. House Of Pain
8. Somebody Get Me A Dr.
9. Mean Street
10. Everybody Wants Some

11. I'm The One
12. Romeo Delight
13. Hang Em High
14. One Foot Out The Door
15. Atomic Punk
16. Take Your Whiskey Home
17. And The Cradle Will Rock
18. Outta Love
19. The Full Bug
20. Little Dreamer

21. Sinners Swing
22. DOA
23. Hear About It Later
24. Bullethead
25. Running With The Devil
26. Dirty Movies
27. So This Is Love?
28. Ice Cream Man
29. Stay Frosty
30. Eruption/You Really Got Me

31. Feel Your Love Tonite
32. Loss Of Control
33. Jamies Crying
34. Beautiful Girls
35. Chinatown
36. Outta Space
37. You And Your Blues
38. Hot For Teacher
39. Beats Workin
40. Fools

41. The Trouble With Never
42. Big River
43. HoneyBabySweetiedoll
44. In A Simple Rhyme
45. Drop Dead Legs
46. Dance The Night Away
47. Little Guitars
48. Could This Be Magic
49. As Is
50. Blood And Fire

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012, 7:44:33 PM PDT
Dugan Nash says:
5:15 - you like the new VH better than Diver Down or '1984'? I agree those albums were a step down from the first 4, but the new one -- while it has its moments -- seems another step down to me. Not *bad* by any stretch, but I'd take any of the first *6* over this new one.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012, 7:58:23 PM PDT
Dugan Nash says:
My list:

1. Outta Love Again
2. Romeo Delight
3. On Fire
4. Sinner's Swing!
5. D.O.A.
6. Fools
7. Women In Love
8. So This Is Love
9. Runnin' With The Devil
10. Little Guitars

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012, 8:26:05 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Thanks for the list, Stephen. How did I know that you would go exclusively Roth songs? This coming from the guy who's list of favorite Scorpions songs completely excludes Matthias Jabs. Oh well, I guess I can't fault you too much. Roth is definitely an original and they released several essential albums and songs together. If I loved a band from the beginning that later made a major lineup change like that, I'd probably be resistant to it as well. Still, I would've thought there is something from the Hagar era that appeals to you. Especially to a guy that likes the heavier stuff. Songs like "Get Up", "AFU", "Poundcake", and "Good Enough" are among the heaviest tracks that they have released, and much better than "In A Simple Rhyme", "Dirty Movies", or "The Trouble With Never", IMO.

Interesting choice with "On Fire" as number 1. It's a good song sure, but the wailing chorus bugs me, which makes it among my least favorites from the debut.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012, 8:30:37 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Thanks for weighing in, mil6161. Pretty essential songs there, although I wouldn't have picked "WHATGTG" that high. It's a likeable track, but a little disjointed & low-energy and I never thought it was a good opener to Diver Down.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012, 8:36:37 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Pretty eclectic list, zlh! You've got to stop listening to the radio so you can like "You Really Got Me" and "And The Cradle Will Rock" again!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012, 8:43:07 PM PDT
T. Boyle-I love Sammy Hagar with Montrose and solo. Just saw him with Chickenfoot in June and he was great. Hate him with Van Halen though. Too much poppyness. I was actually looking forward to Hagar joining Van Halen. I thought it would be Montrose Plus but, it was soooo lame.
Can you blame me for liking Roth & M. Schenker Scorpions more than Jabbs? I saw Scorpions Farewell show in San Diego in June. They were solid.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012, 8:57:17 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Stephen: I started getting into Scorpions in the 80s, so I don't have the same frame of reference that you do. I've just recently bought the Uli Roth albums and liked them for the most part, but need several more listens to appreciate them fully. I also saw them on their farewell tour and it was an amazing show. I'd never seen them before and was glad that I had this final chance - I wasn't disappointed!

Yeah, when I first heard that Sammy was joining VH, I was excited because I was a big fan and I thought he would be playing guitar on the albums. I was hoping for some back & forth guitar solos like he did on his solo tours, but apparently Eddie felt there was no room for a second guitar. Obviously, Sammy could never measure up to Eddie, but he is more than competent and writing for 2 guitars could've added another dimension to their music.

Despite that, I loved the Hagar era anyway, especially the first 3 albums. Everybody seems to focus on the ballads and keyboard-heavy tracks, but there were more hard rock songs on those albums than not. Good stuff!

Posted on Jul 17, 2012, 10:42:33 PM PDT
B. rogers says:
I wish a lot of y'all were playing the "Best Van Halen Song Game"!

Maybe "Outta Love Again", "One Foot Out The Door", "Where Have All The Good Times Gone", "Light Up The FRIGGIN' Sky", and "Intruder" would have had a better shot.

But it's all good.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012, 10:53:18 PM PDT
B. rogers says:
@T.Boyle

I think a lot of us compartmentalise VH w/DLR and Hagar. I don't like to group or compare the two into *one* list...they are too different. I feel the same way about Sabbath w/Ozzy or Sabbath w/Dio, too. The "spirit" of both bands changed when they switched singers...it's almost like apples and oranges, tbh.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Jul 9, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer