Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Worst KISS album: Unmasked or The Elder? (not a game!)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 3, 2011, 7:50:51 AM PST
Dugan Nash says:
Enough of the 'games'... no voting needed, just tell us what you think the worst KISS album is.

For me it was easily down to Unmasked or The Elder, but after re-adding The Elder to my collection and giving it a 2nd chance, I do like most of the 2nd half of it.

The Elder may have been a mis-step in direction, but at least they executed half-decently on it.

Unmasked is watered down pop with crap for songs.

Agree, disagree? Or is there another KISS album that makes you scratch your head?

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 10:16:12 AM PST
club 7 says:
i guess unmasked.
their both awful.
one is nutless bubble gum pop garbage and the other is pompous epic crap.
other kiss albums that make me scratch my head would be crazy nights.
that album sucked.
kiss trying to be bonjovi who suck!
there's one decent song "reason to live"

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 10:24:16 AM PST
A TJ H F says:
elder is good. what sucks are the albums from the late 80s onwards.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 10:33:23 AM PST
MAC says:
Agreed, I could enjoy more of what's on the Elder than Unmasked, that one was really a low point.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 11:03:32 AM PST
It might be heresy to say such a thing but generally speaking from about 'Animalize' onwards they became just another formulaic hair metal band both in sound and look. Even if they'd have kept the greasepaint on I wouldn't have liked their post 'Creatures...' output too much - there just wasn't enough substance in the later music to connect them with what made them great to begin with.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 12:55:57 PM PST
Dugan Nash says:
Yeah, after Lick It Up, it was clear (to me anyway) that they'd de-volved into just another glam-metal-pop band doing what everyone else was doing at the time, so they definitely had some lame-o albums there and beyond. I kinda checked out after Crazy Nights, but I still like that one and Animalize and even Asylum over crud like Unmasked.

The Elder... clearly a mistake for a "Kiss" album but there are several songs I can get into: "A World Without Heroes," "The Oath," "I", "Escape From The Island" and especially the dark "Mr. Blackwell".

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 1:08:25 PM PST
R. Robinson says:
how does anyone not outgrow liking kiss? nostalgia i guess...lets see what happens as kiss tries to immortalize the brand like the beatles have done

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 2:56:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2011, 2:59:55 PM PST
Dugan Nash says:
I guess the same reason some Beatles fans still like "I Want To Hold Your Hand". It's not the most complex music or deepest lyrics, but, when you're in the mood, KISS did actually have some pretty good tunes. At least some of 'em anyway.

This thread of course is dedicated to their worst....

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 4:15:09 PM PST
S. Rice says:
Both albums stink but I'll choose Unmasked because it was the album that made me realize I was done with KISS. Dynasty was the last KISS album I bought.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 4:51:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2011, 4:54:17 PM PST
Mr. Jumps says:
Pfffh Hmmmm Unmasked is bad. Elder is real bad.

Bob ezrin was producer for elder. He said: despite my recent success with the even more ambitious "The Wall", my judgments concerning Music from "The Elder" were clouded due in large part to a severe cocaine addiction at the time.

Pompous epic crap. That is a good phrase for Elder.
Psychcircus was awful too

Unmasked had blatant marketing to young kids that offendened some. But it wasnt worser then Elder-however I have not listened to elder in a long time (1x).

Creatures of the night. Saw them at radio city music hall-NYC. It was one of the last rock and roll shows they hosted there. They were selling Bud cans for a buck and I must have been 14. I hand them a dollar they handed me another beer. Place got destroyed-surprised the whole place didnt burn down.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 4:56:43 PM PST
B. rogers says:
Neither album "sucked" IMO.

Kiss is just...Kiss. They're kinda seperate from other bands, y'know. When "Unmasked" came out I thought it totally BLEW. I actually like it now, and play it from time to time. "The Elder"(produced by Bob Ezrin), I was fairly impressed with when it came out when I was 12 years old(LOL). It's pretty good!

"Creatures" was massive and awesome...and I still love it.

After that...no interest.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 5:07:55 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Apr 18, 2014, 8:57:06 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 5:26:11 PM PST
DPask says:
Is this a trick question?

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 5:44:03 PM PST
I think Unmasked was the ultimate low for Kiss.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011, 8:21:39 PM PST
Dugan Nash says:
B Rogers: We may have discussed this before, but... NO interest after Creatures?

To me, even though Creatures ended the makeup era and Lick It Up brought on the no makeup era, I thought they were almost companion albums, sorta like "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" for the Beatles to where you could just about mix all the tracks up, re-shuffle them into two random albums and they would probably still work. The production is probably too different to truly do that, but style-wise and quality-wise, I always thought them neck and neck. The only true dud song on either (to me) is the title track to "Lick It Up" which just plods along and doesn't really do much and has the stupidest lyrics perhaps of all time (small wonder it was the lead single...).

But apart from that, Gene's songs are superb: Not For The Innocent, Young and Wasted, Dance All Over Your Face, Fits Like A Glove and Paul with Exciter, A Million To One. All Hell's Breakin' Loose is a bit on the cheesy side, but still listenable to these ears anyway. I guess for me, Lick It Up was the last solid album. Animalize was 50/50 and after that... slim pickin's.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2011, 1:49:04 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 8, 2011, 6:58:20 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 4, 2011, 8:53:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2011, 8:56:06 AM PST
B. rogers says:
zlh67...to *my* ears, nothing on Lick It Up matches the highlight tracks from Creatures Of The Night.

Those tracks are:

Title track
Keep Me Comin'
I Love It Loud
I Still Love You
War Machine

Also, I love the cavernous, booming production from Creatures over the more compressed sound of Lick It Up.

Posted on Feb 4, 2011, 9:26:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2011, 12:27:31 PM PST
Dugan Nash says:
As I always say, "To each his/her own"!

My standouts on Creatures are:

title track
Saint & Sinner
I Love It Loud
Killer
War Machine

On Lick It Up:

Exciter
Not For The Innocent
Dance All Over Your Face
Young and Wasted
Fits Like A Glove
A Million To One

And... I guess "And On The 8th Day" is kinda borderline for me. Sometimes I really dig it, sometimes I skip it.

So yeah, I guess the overall fan consensus tends to be that Creatures is the stronger album, but I like more on Lick It Up so would argue it's at least AS GOOD as Creatures, but... that's me. As always, it comes down to preference.

Posted on Feb 4, 2011, 10:17:37 AM PST
mr love says:
Unmasked! so lame...

Posted on Feb 4, 2011, 2:21:18 PM PST
Puffany says:
I don't really care for either album but will admit that I really like Shandi - it made it onto my Kiss compilation car-cd.

To suggest that they'd gone 'pop/bubblegum' on Unmasked is nothing new to Kiss - look at: Let Me Know, Kissin' Time, Mainline, Anything For My Baby, Beth, Hard Luck Woman, Tomorrow & Tonight, I Was Made For Loving You - it's always been there but in smaller doses.

Posted on Feb 4, 2011, 2:50:40 PM PST
hmmm......i have loved Kiss my whole life, and there isn't a single album of theirs that i think is terrible....in fact i love The Elder, and even though Unmasked is mostly pop music, i still really enjoy it, especially ace's songs...."talk to me", "two sides of the coin", "torpedo girl" (really cheesy, but i always loved that one)......i really enjoy "tomorrow", and "you're all that i want" as well

and as far as the elder........"the oath" is frickin great!, and so are "dark light", and "escape from the island", and i always loved "only you" and "under the rose"......

so i guess i am one of the few that really enjoy those albums....even Carnival of Souls is a great album in my opinion....

while i agree that some albums aren't as good as other, there isn't a single album in the entire Kiss catalog that i don't like...

Posted on Feb 4, 2011, 2:55:33 PM PST
Dugan Nash says:
Interesting Heath... if you had to toss one out of the catalog and never hear it again, which would it be and why?

Posted on Feb 4, 2011, 7:46:56 PM PST
B. rogers says:
zlh67...I'll give you "Young And Wasted"...that track was a scorcher. I don't HATE "Lick It Up"...I just was never really TAKEN by it, y'know. I remember at the time being kind of proud of Kiss for making a strong, commercial comeback.

Heath...agree about "Unmasked"...in fact, it's become one of my favorite Kiss albums. A lot of great pop hooks and a really pleasing sound to the ears throughout. The album doesn't have that slightly "clangy" sound that marred albums like "Love Gun". I personally LOVE the Paul Stanley songs like "Tommorow".

Posted on Feb 5, 2011, 9:08:32 PM PST
I have to correct my earlier post. Unmasked was not the all-time low for Kiss, it was "Kiss Meets The Phantom". It's one of those "so bad, it's good" things.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2011, 1:09:53 PM PST
zlh67

if i HAD to "toss one out of the catalog" and never hear it again, i would have to be shot then, cause there isn't a single one i could get rid of...sorry, but that's just how it is with me and Kiss...i have been listening to them since i can remember, and i have always listened to them on a daily basis...

also, on the cover of unmasked, where they have taken off their masks and it's still the make up on....i got that tattoo'd on my back, takes up almost half of my upper back...one day i plan on getting the cover of love gun below it
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Feb 3, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers