Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Bargain MP3 thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012, 4:29:00 PM PDT
John Spinks says:
T. Anderson,

That looks like a good deal. I suspect it might really be Jean-Pierre Armengaud and not Dubravka Tomsic, though I wish it were.

Searching Allmusic and Arkivmusic I can find no indication that Tomsic recorded the complete music of Debussy though there are gazillions of single piece recordings. She had what appears to be a single disc recording on Stradivari 6078, but I cannot find a full listing for that. On the other hand, Armengaud has a complete cycle still listed on Arkiv.

As you say, it's all rather inconclusive. Can anyone else help?

Posted on Jul 29, 2012, 6:03:56 AM PDT
Tero says:
Collin Sibelius. See Sibelius thread.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012, 1:39:11 PM PDT
anyone seen these?

Impressionist Masterminds

there is a whole series, some by composer, some by period. i stumbled on them searching ravel.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012, 4:43:37 AM PDT
Tero says:
Whose are the Iberia suite pieces?

Posted on Aug 10, 2012, 6:28:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012, 6:31:51 AM PDT
Tero says:
OK, seems to be Albeniz. I have those both on guitar and piano. Rest looks new to me, partly.

Here is another, all one composer
Szymanowski: Music for Violin and Piano

Posted on Sep 26, 2012, 6:05:02 PM PDT
for those who are on facebook, i found this deal. it's not much, but if you share your favorite song, you will get a credit for a "song" for a nickel. for those of us into classical, you can get more bang for your buck (or nickel, in this case). for example, i found a one track bach orchestral suites 3 & 4. i prefer pieces like that to be tracked, but i already have multiples of bach's suites, so, for a nickel, what the hey? anyway, just wanted to share.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/socialmedia/promotions/anc-bday/ref=tsm_1_fb_s_dm_maz5ce

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012, 7:19:24 AM PDT
HB says:
T. Anderson,

Thanks for the tip. I got the Yo Yo Ma, Ozawa, BSO recording of Don Quixote by Strauss. It is a single 45 minute track that usually sells for a dollar. Yo Yo Ma is not my favorite cellist but I believe this recording was made before he became an international celebrity. For some reason, IMO, musicians tend to play better before they become super famous.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012, 5:44:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012, 6:18:11 PM PDT
HB says:
Due to the terrible economy and my penchant for bargains, I am bringing this thread back. Here is one of those X5 compilations but with multiple composers. Problem is the composers are not named. I figured out of most of them but tracks 1, 9-13, 14 and 22 are foreign to me. Anybody have any idea? This collection is less than 7 dollars, has a great violinist and has some new material. That is a bargain. I just wish Amazon would name the composers.

The Violin Virtuoso: Igor Oistrakh plays Brahms, Prokofiev, Bartók, and more

Posted on Oct 2, 2012, 6:11:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012, 6:12:08 PM PDT
Speaking of X5 - I wanted to find out more.

X5 article: http://mashable.com/2011/10/09/x5-digital-music/

"The 50 Most Essential Pieces of Classical Music" which, since being released in 2008, has made more than $2 million worldwide."

"Social search, the act of finding music and albums via social networks or app search bars, has become the main way that a lot of people get their tunes. Tapping into these methods is X5′s secret sauce: the ability to optimize for the modern music consumer."

Fascinating to read about the changes in contemporary marketing practices to keep the music alive and introduce it to new audiences.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012, 7:35:01 PM PDT
It's not Amazon, but if you visit CD Universe, there are some amazing bargains, like this one:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8802820&style=music&setpref=mp3

There are also sets of the Beethoven sonatas by Frank, Lortie, Takacs, and Ciani for $9.99 each.

Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012, 7:47:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012, 7:50:52 PM PDT
KenOC says:
HB, the tracks you list seem to be, without much checking:

#1 Schumann
#9-13 Taneyev
#14 Szymanowski
#22 Svetlanov (yes, that one)

Posted on Oct 2, 2012, 8:30:37 PM PDT
<<<Svetlanov (yes, that one) >>
actually ken it is this one.
Yevgeny Svetlanov, Vol. 40: Orchestral Works

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012, 8:32:15 PM PDT
KenOC says:
??? Is there another one?

Posted on Oct 2, 2012, 8:44:00 PM PDT
?? Is there another one? >>
there is always another one.....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012, 7:27:55 AM PDT
HB says:
"HB, the tracks you list seem to be, without much checking:
#1 Schumann, #9-13 Taneyev, #14 Szymanowski,#22 Igor Oistrakh?"

Thanks, Ken, you always come through for me.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012, 6:36:26 AM PDT
here's a few i ran across in the classical new releases:

Brandenburg Concertos
Orchestral Suites
St. John's Passion

they're all $0.99. i got them all, and so far i like the orchestral suites. i've only listened to brandenburg 6, which i like, but not the rest, nor the st. john (highlights). i saw a st. matthew the other day, but i'm not seeing it now. anyway, just wanted to share.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012, 7:02:59 AM PDT
HB says:
"they're all $0.99. i got them all, and so far i like the orchestral suites"

All of this material was originally on LaserLight. I own the CD of the first three suites. IMO, No. 1 is very good, No. 2 is outstanding and No. 3, just okay. The best No. 3 I have ever heard is by Menuhin. It is one of the most passionate and exciting performances of baroque music I have ever heard.

J. S. Bach: Orchestral Suites No. 1 3 & 4

Posted on Nov 26, 2012, 10:14:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012, 10:14:52 AM PST
for those that enjoy christmas music, the bach guild has released a sizable set for the holidays at $0.99. i don't believe it is a cyber monday deal, but i would get it soon, as they usually raise the price after a short time. i don't care for christmas music, myself, so i have not bought it and cannot say anything about the quality. but i just wanted to pass it along, as previous experience with bach guild releases would indicate that this should be very good.

Big Christmas Box

Posted on Nov 26, 2012, 9:20:42 PM PST
John Spinks says:
T. Anderson,

Thanks for the Christmas Box info. It's worth .99 for the Deller stuff alone!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012, 1:02:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012, 1:03:23 PM PST
HB says:
If you are in market for Mozart's Piano Concertos or Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, you can download all of those works for less than 11 dollars.

Virtual Box Set - Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas

Mozart: Complete Solo Piano Concertos (The Voxbox Edition)

My experience with Jeno Jando is mixed but when he is good he is really good. The Mozart set has three great pianists and one average one. The great ones are a young Alfred Brendel, Walter Klein and the highly underrated Peter Frankl. The average pianist is Martin Galling but he plays 1-4, 6 and 8, hardly Mozart's best works.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012, 1:09:11 PM PST
KenOC says:
I have the Jeno Jando set of sonatas on CD, and can verify that this is a real bargain. His playing is technically excellent, but he tends to be a bit dry (perhaps, for some tastes, YMMV, etc.)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012, 1:26:23 PM PST
HB says:
"I have the Jeno Jando set of sonatas on CD, and can verify that this is a real bargain."

Ken,

Thanks for your comment. I am going to investigate the set on NML later. Unfortunately, the set does not include the unpublished sonatas Beethoven wrote. I am listening to one of them right now. I am shocked how good it is and Jando's playing is superlative. That one CD costs more than the entire set of published sonatas.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012, 2:43:29 PM PST
just to let people know, check your wish lists periodically. i never saw this before, but recently i noticed that some prices had gone down. in particular, that mozart voxbox went down this week. it'll say something like price has dropped 40% since you added this item. the price drop tipped me over the edge to buy that mozart... not that i needed another set, but you know how it goes.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012, 4:58:11 PM PST
E. Hansen says:
On the Jeno Jando set, why is sonata #13 called The Vampire?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012, 5:01:40 PM PST
KenOC says:
??? Probably because Camper Van Beethoven did an EP named "Vampire Can Mating Oven" in 1987. Yes, I'm sure that's it!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Modern Thread for fans only... 548 7 hours ago
Is Haydn “sophisticated”? 21 7 hours ago
"Complete" Sets that almost never are 12 8 hours ago
However much I may love this site.... (Volume V) 5411 8 hours ago
Monday Symphony Sidebar 388 8 hours ago
Morton Feldman 15 9 hours ago
Sports Talk 662 11 hours ago
Dmitri Shostakovich 111th birthday Septmber 25 6 12 hours ago
Boulez, the composer 89 15 hours ago
Morton Feldman 39 16 hours ago
What Are You Listening To Right Now? - Part XIV 4963 17 hours ago
Diary. What Did You Do Today? 9624 21 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  4176
Initial post:  Jul 6, 2012
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers