Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Problems watching Berliner Philharmoniker through Digital Concert Hall

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2016, 8:53:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2016, 1:14:44 AM PDT
If you haven't already tried this, here is where you can
conduct a bandwith test to see if there are any problems: https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/bandwidth

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2016, 1:17:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2016, 1:24:38 PM PDT
John V. says:
I have the same problem but it started just a month ago. I checked all my wires and they seem to be ok, I am hard wired to my TV(RCA). This morning I listened to archived music and no problem, started 1 hr later again and bingo , buffering problems again. What to do? I have watched live concerts many times and no problems, everything went great including the sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2014, 10:46:58 AM PDT
I have had trouble with both live and archived concerts when accessing the stream on a PC running XP-Pro. The Berlin outfit is doing a great thing by making performances available in this manner. However I was getting interruptions while it appeared buffering was going on somewhere (the pentagon logo would spin), so after reading about your success with Apple TV and Airplay, I tred it...It works! I use the Berlin app on my iPhone, then Airplay to run it through my HT gear: hi-def on a ten foot screen and sound via very good electronics and speakers. It's heaven.

Posted on Nov 12, 2013, 6:01:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2013, 9:14:27 AM PST
Vicw says:
Thanks for the feedback, Dr. Actually, the LG BP220 BluRay Player is working fine for me on the live and archived concerts. I've concluded that my Sony NSZ-GS8 in its current state, is just incapable of properly streaming live concerts. Unfortunately, Sony seems unwilling to really address or acknowledge the issue, so I've given up trying to get them to fix it, and just use the LG BP220 for all live concerts.

Posted on Nov 12, 2013, 1:15:43 AM PST
P Mck says:
This message is to try to help diagnose your case in that it describes a setup completely different in type and location, that works flawlessly. I hope it helps all of you trying to get to the bottom of your real problems with DCH. I discovered the perfect setup by chance when my son gave me an Apple TV box as a gift. I live in England, have a DSL broadband, no cable available, speed max (17mb/sec). Broadband via BT and BT router version 3 (4 years old roughly). Router connected by very long Ethernet to Apple TV box controlled by DCH app on iPad3. Then HDMI to 3yr old Loewe 37" HDTV picture 1080p 50 or 60Hz. TV audio out via digital coax output to old Krell Showcase decoder /preamp. Picture streamed on live and archive is perfect any time of day or night, lno jumps, blocking, buffering etc even on panning shots or zooms. Audio excellent and better than any other streaming audio on broadband. Have tried using Mac laptop instead but got dropped frames and much poorer quality. Only complaint is archives are edited and seem to remove encores which I saw live. Costs are Ethernet cable (depends on your requirements, I paid for installation but also serves my digital ,satellite TV on-demand perfectly - Sky HD box - similar to TiVo) & Apple TV box (100 UK pounds). Use very frequently - brilliant. Good luck in getting to the bottom of your problems.

Posted on Oct 27, 2013, 2:00:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2013, 2:04:48 PM PDT
Vicw says:
So far, I've tried to watch every live Berlin Philharmoniker concert of the season, probably 7 or 8 of them, on my Sony NSC-GS8 with no success. Whereas Archived concerts stream with no problems, the Live concerts invariably are a mess, with picture artifacts, smearing where movement occurs, trashed screens, and frequent freezes. I went through an extensive discussion on the Sony Community Forum trying to get to the source of that problem. I did get some good support, and they had me perform a variety of tests, and configuration changes, with the results pointing to a probable deficiency in the Sony unit, either my individual unit, the unit design or something deficient in the firmware.

Having reached that point, my detailed thread was unceremoniously removed from the forum. I guess Sony didn't want anything that appeared to be an unsolvable Sony problem on the forum.

Fortunately, I just discovered that my cheap little LG BluRay player, Model BP220, has the Berlin App on their list of available apps, so I installed it, and used it this morning to play a live concert. To my shock, delight and amazement, the little LG unit performed flawlessly. I watched two LIVE concerts for over over 3 hours total, and it delivered clean HD, with absolutely no issues. After an hour, I switched back to the Sony, to check it. The Sony, as always, was a mess, so I'm now confident that the problem is unique to the Sony GS8 - perhaps just mine, perhaps all of them.

I guess my next move is to ask Sony for a replacement unit, in the hope that the problem is just in mine, although I would bet that all of them are the same.

Posted on Sep 29, 2013, 6:54:50 PM PDT
Vicw says:
We've tried to watch and listen to 4 of the live concerts on our Sony NSZ-GS8 Google TV player so far, and each one has been a disaster, with degraded video and frequent freezes, as compared to flawless playback on all of the archived material that we've tried.

On the latest concert, I connected the player directly to the cable modem, so that there were no other devices that could conflict with the GS8, but the results were exactly the same as previously.While we enjoy the archival material, the inability to enjoy the live concerts is quite discouraging to us. I suspect that the GS8 itself is the core of our problem, but it's very difficult to determine.

If any of the others on this forum who have been using any Sony device for the concerts, I hope they will post their successes or failures, and please include the model of the Sony equipment they are using.

Posted on Aug 23, 2013, 2:09:14 PM PDT
I think myself and someone else has said this before, but just in case here I say it again:
Chances are that there's a lot more streaming requests to a live concert vs an archived one. That would explain the streaming quality degradation on the live concerts vs the archived one. We can test this. Try both around the same time. Come to think of it. I can do on our two iPads. Stay tuned.

Posted on Aug 23, 2013, 12:43:06 PM PDT
This time the live concert streamed without interruption through my Sony player. I'm wondering if it was because of the new application the Berliner Philharmoniker installed. I noticed, however, on my pc, there were a few interruptions that lasted about 3 or 4 seconds.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013, 12:27:56 PM PDT
Chrisb says:
I just renewed my subscription for another year with trepidation. I have had a lot of trouble with the Berlin transmissions but finally am able to watch archived concerts via Apple TV and my iPhone. I hope I'll be able to watch a live transmission the same way and will find out soon. I hope this problem will be corrected or someone will explain what needs to be done to view the live transmission as it should be.

Posted on Aug 23, 2013, 11:55:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2013, 12:17:13 PM PDT
Vicw says:
We've been watching and listening to a variety of Berlin Philharmonic archived concerts for the last couple of months on our Sony NSZ-GS8, and they have all been just about flawless, sound and picture throughout.

As we sit here today though, trying to watch our first Live concert, we are hugely disappointed with a picture that is almost constantly degrading, sound that is generally OK, but freezes in transmission every few minutes or less. We have probably restarted the concert about a hundred times, so far - very frustrating.

Given the flawless and consistent performance of the hardware and ISP service over an extended period and a variety of sessions with archival material, I have to conclude that the problem we are experiencing is almost certainly one of transmission and distribution of the stream by Sony, in this case not anything to do with bandwidth, firmware levels on the player, or other localized problems. We plan to watch another archived concert immediately after the live stream, just to make sure that there aren't any other variables at play, so I have little doubt that it will revert to A+ performance on the archive.

I sure hope this is a problem that Sony is or will be aware of, and fix for future live events, otherwise, it's going to be a big letdown for our $200 subscription investment.

UPDATE: As I expected viewing an archived concert immediately after the live concert is demonstrating flawless video and sound, so the problem ended abruptly with the switchover from streaming to archival.

Posted on Aug 23, 2013, 11:01:03 AM PDT
I had some trouble connecting today but it was because the application was updated in my Sony player and I wasn't sure what to do. It was a bit of a hassle inputting the correct information and it took me a few times to get it right. By the time I finally got in I missed the first half hour of the concert. Now it is streaming just fine. The new application doesn't allow me to see what my connection speed is the way the old application did. It only lets me look at the concert notes. I can, however, go backwards if I want to. I logged in through my pc to see the difference. The pc transmission is a few seconds behind the blu ray player. This is the opposite of before when the pc was actually ahead. I'm assuming all transmissions are buffered since I haven't had any interruptions in service so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013, 12:55:41 PM PDT
Alabama Guy says:
Very interesting Larkenfield, thanks. Good diagram illustrating 4K here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Digital_video_resolutions_%28VCD_to_6K%29.jpg

Seems that content quality is improving faster than the technology to support it.

Posted on Aug 7, 2013, 12:05:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2013, 12:16:54 PM PDT
About a year ago, Sony added a
"new 4k2k high-definition resolution"
to the Berlin Concert Hall experience.
If so, this could conceivably make
more buffering demands than before:
http://goo.gl/VJxDB1

(For those who haven't checked lately,
make sure you have the latest version
of Adobe Flash.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013, 7:28:36 AM PDT
Chrisb says:
I had a great deal of trouble with the Sony Blu-Ray but I can stream from my iPhone thro Apple TV with no problems, using "AirPlay".
The Berlin people said it was because the bandwidth wasn't wide enough. It works ok now with my iPhone .

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013, 7:00:30 AM PDT
Alabama Guy says:
It's an older router, which is why I suspect CPU or memory issues. It is not a wireless router. Equipment is an important part of the problem, but I don't think it's the whole story. I think there's also network congestion upstream.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013, 6:20:49 AM PDT
Hi Alabama Guy,

How new is your router? Also, how far is it and are there thick walls in the way. However, this wouldn't explain the fact it works some times but not others. However, again, it could be interference from other devices(in the general area - somebody using some device out there), which could be on at certain times.

Posted on Aug 7, 2013, 6:07:08 AM PDT
Alabama Guy says:
Yesterday I tried bypassing my wired router and got better results. The router can handle the bandwidth, but I suspect its CPU is overloaded. I also think there is a congestion issue originating with Amazon AWS in northern Virginia. Could be the orchestra doesn't have the customer base to pay for better hosting.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013, 5:13:07 AM PDT
Hi Dale,
You may be right about the buffering difference between devices. I was never even able to get access to the Berlin Phil via my Sony Blue Ray. It kept giving me an error. I was extremely frustrated and, frankly, blame Sony for its unfriendly software. I had been planning to get the AppleTV and once I did and found it so easy to get satisfaction by streaming from my iPad to my stereo via it I gave up on the Sony BR, which I rarely use to once in a blue moon play a DVD.
Ever tried to hook up your MacBook Pro to your stereo/TV? You might be able to do so with a low price cable. Or if you want go up to $100, you can go for the AppleTV, assuming your MacBook Pro is compatible to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013, 3:55:05 AM PDT
Dale says:
There seems to be a difference in receiving devices. I found I could receive a full archived concert on my MacBook Pro, but I could no longer received concerts on my Sony Blu-ray player. I originally could on my Blu-ray, but after I **upgraded** my Internet speed the problem of frequent stopping occurred. My Internet bandwidth should be sufficient. I conjecture is that is may be a buffering/protocol problem at the end device. Some devices do the buffering better than others under a given protocol. Still, I have cancelled my service for a while, since I want a good stereo service through my Blu-ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013, 8:53:29 AM PDT
Hi Alabama Guy,

In case you've not tried yet, here's a suggestion.
Chek if your computer is doing any scheduled work in the background during that time you're noticed problems while streaming Berlin Phil content. It could be reorgs, virus scann, etc. If so, turn it off and try the streaming again.

Also, if you have an iPod touch or iPad or have a friend willing to help, try streaming the noted content during the noted bad time on any of those devices. You'll need the FREE Berlin Phil app, which can be downloaded from the App Store.
Hope this will help.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013, 7:46:11 PM PDT
Hi Alabama Guy,

I live upstate New York. Right now, 10:37 PM I'm watching an archived concerto, Rachmaninov Symphony #2. Before, I tested my speed. It was 17 Mbps. I'm streaming from my old iPad to my stereo via AppleTV. I'm assuming that all their servers are in Gemany. So from this neck of the woods things are OK. Hopefully, they'll will fix the issue you're having.

Posted on Aug 5, 2013, 6:18:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2013, 6:20:24 PM PDT
Alabama Guy says:
I've tried watching the Berlin Phil using a 3 Mbps Verizon DSL connection on a high-end Dell PC. In the afternoon/evenings, both live and archived concerts freeze so much they're not watchable. In the mornings, no problem. E-mailed Berlin Phil support, they said I needed more bandwidth. This was my excuse to upgrade to Comcast cable internet at 30 Mbps. So now I have much faster downloads for everything...except the Berlin Phil. Freezing problem is still the same...no freezing at 10 AM Eastern, can't watch after 2 PM. Problem is definitely on their side.

Posted on Jul 6, 2013, 6:29:43 AM PDT
Ken:
You are absolutely right. Cable companies have a higher contention ratio than telcos with DSL.
I have at home both cable service, which claims 10 Mbps download speed, and Telmex DSL service, providing 5 Mbps. During certain times of the day, especially in the evening, I get a better service from the DSL than from the cable. Streaming on the DSL rarely stutters (dropouts lasting up to 30-60 seconds) while streaming on the cable, at twice the speed, becomes useless.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2013, 10:57:59 PM PDT
KenOC says:
My understanding is that a cable connection, although faster, is subject to "crowding" when a lot of people are on-line. DSL connections are somewhat slower but don't have that problem.

I'm on cable and seem to never have issues streaming. Lucky, I guess!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What books are you reading right now? 8673 7 hours ago
What Are You Listening To Right Now? - Part XIV 4938 7 hours ago
Good Movies You've Seen - A Digression, Volume II 1455 8 hours ago
Bargain MP3 thread 4174 9 hours ago
However much I may love this site.... (Volume V) 5377 10 hours ago
Sports Talk 657 12 hours ago
Morton Feldman 7 13 hours ago
Seriously need some jokes here! 696 14 hours ago
Upcoming Releases 3298 16 hours ago
Okay, you're now in charge of your own record label... 39 18 hours ago
Bach's Well Tempered Clavier 160 19 hours ago
Alfred Cortot 757 19 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 25, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers