Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Comics forum

Greatest Comic Book Covers Of All Time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 117 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 9, 2013 9:30:46 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
What's your all time favorite comic book covers and why ?

Here's some of mine.

Last Planet Standing (2006) #4

This cover was made into a tee shirt called the Silver Surfer Long Boarder shirt and I have two variations of this shirt.

Shi Ju-Nen (2004) #1

I have the comic book, tee shirt, and poster.

Catwoman: Nine Lives of a Feline Fatale

That cover was made into a shirt but it's unavailable right now. I wonder if they will ever start making it again. I have the poster though.

I believe in reincarnation which perhaps makes me like this picture even more. They get into reincarnation and other philosophical subjects like Egyptian mysticism in the Hawkman comic books as I recall.

Catwoman 9

I got a tattoo of the image of Zephyr from this cover. Zephyr is the goddess of the West Wind in mythology. This tattoo is in a high visibility area on my right forearm.

I also have a tattoo of DC's Zero Hour symbol.

Superman The Man of Steel #18 : Doomsday Part 1 (DC Comics)

Doomsday breaks out of the containment unit with one hand still tied behind his back.

Here's some other shirts that are based on comic book covers:

Green Lantern Fall Issue #1 T-Shirt

Green Lantern - Gl #200 Cover Adult T-Shirt In Black

Supergirl #1 -- DC Comics - The New 52 Adult T-Shirt

There's also some tee shirts where they took multiple comic book covers and put them on the same shirt:

Green Lantern DC Comics Covers Super Hero T-Shirt Tee

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 11:27:59 PM PST
Just of the top of my head: Brian Bolland's covers for Animal Man and The Invisibles. Simon Beazley's covers for Doom Patrol. Glenn Fabry's covers for Hellblazer and Preacher. The cover artist for Fables (I think his name is James Jean but he doesn't do them anymore) and the artist for The Unwritten. Crisis on Infinite Earths the death of Supergirl cover is superfamous and parodied and imitated. Also the Death of Jean Grey issue at the end of the Dark Phoenix storyline. Really liked some of the marvel covers from the 25th anniversary but they had a a cheezy border around them: X-Men John Romita Jr.'s cover where Wolverine's mask is half ripped off, Thor Walt Simonson where he fights the Midgard Serpent might have been 383. The Paul Smith X-Men where Kitty Pryde is standing bleeding but defiant is another great one. John Cassaday's covers for Planetary are all perfect. Some of Dave McKean's covers for Black Orchid and Sandman before he got so abstract. Love his cover of the first issue of Hellblazer. Wonder if they ever made a poster of that? Alex Ross covers are always pretty and usually striking.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 11:44:39 PM PST
Micheal Kaluta's and Charles Vess's covers for the Books Of Magic, Bill Sienkevics' for The Question and The Shadow and Elektra: Assassin, Howard Chaykin's for his Shadow miniseries and other series I can't remember offhand. Many of Miller's covers for Daredevil, Ronin, Dark Knight, through Sin City. David Mazzucheli for Daredevil: Born Again and Batman: Year 1. Kevin Maguire's for the post-crisis Justice League, John J. Muth's for Moonshadow and other projects, Mike Zeck for Captain America, The Punisher, and Spider Man: Fearful Symmetry Kraven's Last Hunt. Frank Quitely's for All Star Superman, X-Men, etc. There were some striking GI JOE cover's in the '80's but I don't remember who drew them besides Mike Zeck and John Byrne. Byrne's early covers were good but later them became repetitive and overdramatic. Always loved George Perez's covers to Wonder Woman, Teen Titans, and Crisis. His art is so detailed I heard he gave himself carpal tunnel syndrome. Jae Lee's cover's for Inhumans, Sentry and the The Dark Tower.
Sam Keith's covers for The Maxx, Matt Wagner's for Grendel, The Demon, etc, Stan Sakai for Usagi Yojimbo, Mike Mignola's for Batman: A Death in the Family, Dark Knight/Dark City, Hellboy etc, Tony Harris for Starman. The Spectre series from the '90's had a great selection of cover's from a wide array of artists: Alex Ross, Charlex Vess, Tim Bradstreet, etc.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 12:10:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2013 12:12:14 AM PST
Shade, the Changing Man from Vertigo had some amazing covers by Brendan McCarthy (the new McCarthyism), Chris Bachalo, and others. Brian Bolland did a cover for a collection. Brian Hitch's covers for the Authority and the Ultimates were outstanding. Alan Davis has done many enjoyable covers can't think of the best off hand. Maybe Elseworlds: The Nail would be one. Walt Simonson's Thor run had so many mythic, eye grabbing covers and his brief run of FF. Sienkevics run on Moon Knight (especially the one with Werewold by Night) and The New Mutants, J.H. William's covers for Promethea were superbly designed and laid out. I miss America's Best Comics a lot. Top Ten was so great and Promethea. They did way too much Tom Strong but he had some great issues. Tomorrow Stories was probably the weakest and most uneven but I loved Greyshirt and Jack B. Quick. Rick Veitch is a great artist and very versatile along with Steve Bissette and John Totleben who did beautiful covers for Swamp Thing, and Totleben's run on Miracleman/Marvleman. Kevin Nowlan rarely did covers but when he did they grabbed my attention. Adam Hughes did sexy women covers. The painted covers for V For Vendetta were very striking, and the covers for Watchmen were very unlike the norm for the medium in the '80's. So Kudos to Dave Gibbons and David Lloyd. Tim Bradstreet also did great covers for Hellblazer and the Punisher. Tim Sale's covers for Batman: the Long Halloween and his other series and miniseries were great atmospheric noir art. Really loved Mike Grell's art on Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters and the series. Haven't read Warlord or Jon Sable though.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 6:35:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2013 6:35:43 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
I see at least two covers where Superman is holding what appears to be a deceased Supergirl.

I'm interested in images of Supergirl because I may get a tattoo of her. However she has blond hair and they've never come out with a good yellow for tattoo ink. So I might have to change her into a red head.

Ironically the Supergirl image I like the best so far is on a Hallmark birthday card.

Here's another cover that was made into a shirt: The Infinite Crisis Omnibus

Hellblazer had a lot of good covers. I was never able to collect that comic book though because it often shows the pentagram symbol.

Same with Vampirella. There was a great cover of Vampie standing in front of a house that I had displayed for awhile.

Thanks for taking the time to tell me about all of those covers. I will probably try to find some of them as time permits. I'm an aspiring artists of sorts I guess and studying comic book covers will be informative to see how people can capture an idea in a picture.

Vampirella #10 Dynamite Reorder 1/30 Variant

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 5:55:46 PM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
To Die A Hero
Stan Lee and John Romita
The Amazing Spider-Man 52 (1968)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 10:06:03 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Boy you're going back 45 years to that strange and turbulent decade of the 1960s.

Did you like any of the covers with the holograms that came out in the 90s ?

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 12:35:03 PM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
I forgot to explain that I liked that cover because it was an irony. J. Jonah Jameson and Spider-Man tied up to a chair. That was superb and ironic.

It's not the kind of thing, though, that may have been on a t-shirt. Nevertheless, it is still good art, drawn by John Romita.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 3:48:39 PM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
The Doomsday Heroes
Frank Robbins (writer) and Jack Sparling (illustrator)
Star Spangled War Stories 180 May-June 1974

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 7:35:26 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
There was a comic book cover that was made into a black light poster with an orange background. I came home from college and discovered that my brother or somebody either took it or threw it out. I just noticed that somebody was selling this poster for about $ 800.

It shows Captain Marvel with stars and planets behind him and then down at the bottom of the poster it said:

Out of the holocaust, a hero

I guess this is the comic book but the poster was different:

#1 - Out Of The Holocaust-- A Hero! is a comic book published by Marvel & released on 5/1/1968

That would be another interesting discussion. Greatest horror stories of people who had priceless comic book collections thrown out when they went away to college.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 4:52:29 PM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
I never read that comic, but being curious, I looked it up. E-Bay had it on sale for only 15.99, along with other Marvel issues. It had been sold out recently. The front cover resembled the poster you describe. I don't know if it had the poster, though. And I don't see why the poster would be way more expensive than the comic book.

Yes, it is terrible to find out that something like that may happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:34:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 5:34:52 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
There was some artists who went to a comic book store called The Dragon's Den in Poughkeepsie, New York back when I was living there. These artists had created a new Hercules comic book at that time.

They told me about this guy who had a massive comic book collection. All the books were kept in mint condition. He said some of the comic books had gold foil around the edges or something although I don't think he meant it was real gold.

He died and his wife just wanted to get rid of this massive collection. She had tried to give it away on various occasions but nobody came and got it.

Finally he said one of the comic book companies like Image or one of the others went up there with a truck and took it all away for free. Although at least in this case the comic books weren't just thrown in the trash.

On The Simpsons Crusty The Clown was wasting way too much money. He used an issue of Action Comics # 1 with Superman picking up the car to light his cigar.

I'm going to check with my mother. Maybe my brother stashed that poster somewhere. Although after 30 years I don't hold out much hope. He moved several times and people have sorted through all of his stuff already on various occasions.

Do you know of any valuable collections ?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 4:34:15 PM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
No. I'm not a collector. I know no collectors. I just like to read. I do have a hard time getting rid of the stuff I read.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 8:06:25 AM PST
Nicos says:
Steranko's Nick Fury Agent of Shield #1 Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Also, his Incredible Hulk cover http://www.thedrawingsofsteranko.com/hulknew1.jpg

I can't even begin to count how many times I have seen both these covers re-done/homaged by other artists.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 8:54:24 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
I have two different versions of tee shirts that show the following Incredible Hulk cover:

The Incredible Hulk #377 : Honey, I Shrunk the Hulk (Marvel Comics)

The two shirts use different color schemes.

Yes that Nick Fury cover is interesting.

I guess that's the question. What makes a great comic book cover ?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 7:06:15 PM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
Irony makes a great cover. When the reader knows something that the character ignores from seeing the illustration, there is irony and the kind of tension that leads the reader to buy the issue and read right away. This is the case with the cover of the Unknown Soldier mentioned above. About to meet mines at sea, the US suggests to jump into the water. The audience, however, can see sharks roaming underneath producing tension in our minds. By nature, we want to solve this tension, and thus, we are enticed (almost forced) into the story even if we expect the hero to survive as usual.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 7:13:26 PM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
Another kind of irony is produced in the SM cover mentioned above: a humorous irony. Since readers see JJJ and Spider-Man tied together to a chair, they will probably laugh as a result of the tension between what we know, that JJJ hates Spider-Man, and the new fact that he shares the same fate with the man he hates. Not only that, but readers most likely will laugh at the fact that SM will save JJJ's life. In this sense, the front cover opens up many expectations.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:33:24 AM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
I was just talking about irony in another discussion.

Jeff Marzano says:

'probabilist says:

[How does irony differ from satire, or sarcasm, or poking fun at people in power ?]

The endings for many of the stories on Rod Serling's classic Twilight Zone TV show are ironic. Those types of story endings would match up with the following definition:

ironic - Something is ironic if the result is the opposite of what was intended; an ironic event is an incongruous event, one at odds with what might have been expected.

Irony can also mean: Of or like iron: "an irony gray color"

Below I list some of the Zone episodes that I think have ironic endings. These are many of my all time favorite episodes.

I guess what these episodes have in common is people had their plans but The Fates had other ideas. Or at least what people thought was true turned out not to be because they didn't really understand the situation and the dynamics of what they were dealing with.

The Twilight Zone was resurrected in the 1980s and again in the 2000s. The newer incarnations of this TV show have their moments also.

Irony comes up sometimes in mythology. Apollo told Cassandra that if she would marry him Apollo would give her the gift of prophecy. Cassandra agreed but then changed her mind.

Apollo told Cassandra that he could not take back the gift of prophecy even though she had changed her mind. I guess that's like a rule where the gods cannot take back a gift. Or perhaps the future had crystallized too much. But Apollo informed Cassandra that even though she would accurately predict the future nobody would believe her.

And that's exactly what happened. Cassandra tried to warn everyone about the treachery with the Trojan Horse but nobody would listen. And this is what lead to Cassandra's terrible fate.

Original Twilight Zone Episodes That Have Ironic Endings

Escape Clause
Time Enough At Last
The Invaders
The Rip Van Winkle Caper
To Serve Man
Four O'Clock
Hocus-Pocus and Frisby
The New Exhibit
Uncle Simon
The Long Morrow
The Self-Improvement of Salvadore Ross
From Agnes - With Love
The Brain Center at Whipple's

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:36:49 AM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
I guess also a great comic book cover captures a lot of ideas but also makes the reader wonder what it means and what the story is about.

Some are just plain artistically beautiful.

Some people feel Da Vinci's Mona Lisa painting is very mysterious and thought provoking. They wonder what it might mean.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 6:19:31 PM PDT
Batman #37(1946):"Joker Steals Batman's Thunder"

Detective Comics #71:"A Crime A Day"

Detective Comics #76:"Slay 'Em With Flowers"

America vs the JSA #1

Avengers #92

Flash #123:"Flash Of Two Worlds"

World's Best Comics #1

Avengers #181

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 1:29:58 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Here's two comic book covers that were made into tee shirts which I just ordered.

The Incredible Hulk #206 (A Man-Brute Berserk!)

Justice League of America (1960 series) #12

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2013 4:30:33 PM PDT
I have t-shirts of Batman #37,20,Detective #69,JLA #137,Avengers #1(1998)Variant,Superman #1.World's Best Comics #1,Action Comics #23 and 25,just to name a few.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 7:48:24 AM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Colin Daniels says:

[I have t-shirts of Batman #37,20,Detective #69,JLA #137,Avengers #1(1998)Variant,Superman #1.World's Best Comics #1,Action Comics #23 and 25,just to name a few.]

Wow I guess they've been converting comic book covers into shirts for a long time.

I've spent many hours looking around on the internet for comic book tee shirts. I was able to find quite a few of the ones you listed on Amazon as comic books or other things like cuff links. You like the classic designs I think.

On The Simpsons Crusty The Clown went broke because he was wasting too much money. He used a copy of Action Comics # 1 to light his cigar. Do you you own any of those really valuable comic books ?

Some of my favorite shirts are of the Shi Japanese warrior character. Shi is put out by Crusade Comics. I wish they would re-release some of these shirts and I have sent them emails asking them to do this.

There's a site called SuperHeroStuff and I'm subscribed to their email list so they send me emails that shows any new shirts they may have. There always seems to be more shirts that are 'must haves' for me. I'm addicted to these tee shirts. I could never possibly wear them all during one summer.

I like tee shirts that show the girl characters like Wonder Woman, Super Girl, Bat Girl, and Cat Woman if you know of any good ones. The world needs more Cat Woman tee shirts. I actually have a few shirts that show all of the DC girls together.

Probably my single most favorite character in the comic book universe is Doomsday. It's like I relate to this guy on a personal level.

If they ever make a movie about the Death Of Superman story it will break all the box office records.

There's probably an existing discussion about movies that are based on the comic books.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 7:52:59 AM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Elvin Ortiz says:

[The Amazing Spider-Man 52 (1968)]

I found this comic book on Amazon:

Amazing Spider-Man, The (Amazing Spider-Man, The #52, 1967 Year, $79.00, Vol. 1)

Now you guys have gotten me curious. I may try to find all the ones Danny listed above.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 11:28:49 AM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Danny C. Johnson says:

[Just of the top of my head:]

Not too many people realize this but I was the guy who sent the email to Amazon asking them to add the 'Insert a product link' feature to their web site. I told them I could add book recommendations into my book reviews on the Barnes And Noble site.

And they did it !

Now I'm going to try to find all those covers you listed.

I think you meant Simon Bisley.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_Patrol/Covers

Doom Patrol #36 1st Flex Mentallo (full appearance)

Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits

Fables: The Deluxe Edition Book Five

The Unwritten Vol. 5: On to Genesis

Crisis on Infinite Earths #7: Beyond the Silent Night (Death of Supergirl - DC Comics)

X-Men 137 The Fate of the Phoenix! 1980 (X-Men Double-Size Issue, Volume 1)

Thor #327 "Tye, Loki, Wolflings, Storm Giants & Jormungand (Midgard Serpent) Appearance"

Couldn't find:

X-Men John Romita Jr.'s cover where Wolverine's mask is half ripped off

To be continued...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Comics forum (548 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Rants and Rave III 3076 22 hours ago
I hate Superman 197 18 days ago
JOSE LUIS GARCIA-LOPEZ, What Are Your Favorite Works? 84 19 days ago
Greatest Comic Book Covers Of All Time 116 25 days ago
Opinions on the DC Relaunch? 914 Jun 11, 2016
75 Years Of Batman 60 Apr 23, 2016
Undeniably bad characters 24 Feb 18, 2016
Arrow 25 Jan 1, 2016
Freedom 0 Jan 1, 2016
Sexiest Comic Book Characters / Images Of All Time 10 Dec 19, 2015
Thor's God Blast, and Other Powers that come with a Price 75 Dec 15, 2015
Superman's Pal 3 Dec 10, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Comics forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  117
Initial post:  Feb 9, 2013
Latest post:  25 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions