Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Comics forum

Did the Brits save comics in 80's and 90's?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-39 of 39 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012, 1:36:58 PM PDT
Cerberus says:
Off the top of my head I remember these guys could draw..

Simon Bisley
Brian Bolland
Mike McMahon
Glenn Fabry
Clint Langley

Posted on Jul 7, 2012, 1:44:06 PM PDT
I really can't stand bisley's work in anything more than covers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012, 1:50:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012, 1:52:50 PM PDT
Cerberus says:
I loved his ABC Warriors and Slain stuff, he does a mean Batman too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012, 2:34:57 PM PDT
Slain was alright, I think the problem with someone like bisley is they do a few things with their full hearts in it, and then for the rest of the their careers do something slightly less... conscientious and live off the fame of their prior work

Posted on Jul 7, 2012, 3:49:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012, 3:55:33 PM PDT
Alan Davis, Barry Windsor-Smith, Gary Leach, David Lloyd, John Bolton, Kevin O'Neil, Paul Grist, Bryan Talbot, Steve Dillon, John Ridgeway, Steve Parkhouse, and Bryan Hitch are some of the best along with Phil Winslade, Glenn Fabry, Simon Bisley, and Brian Bolland for covers (loved Bisley's Doom Partrol covers and Bollands Animal Man and Invisibles). John Byrne could be considered semi-British.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012, 4:08:54 PM PDT
Lol I am not sure the point here?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012, 12:08:03 AM PDT
Just answering Esgaldil's question as to what U.K. artists are we talking about here. Gary Leach helped Moore relaunch Marvelman/Miracleman and Davis took over after Leach left. Leach also let Moore use his Warpsmith characters in the series. Davis also worked with Moore on Captain Britain for Marvel U.K. which led to Excalibur and them both working for DC. Dave Gibbons drew Watchmen and was one of 2000 AD's most prolific artists. David Lloyd drew V For Vendetta and Grant Morrison's two issues of Hellblazer. John Ridgeway was the first regular artist for Hellblazer with covers by Dave McKean. McKean helped Neil Gaiman and Grant Morrison get exposure due to his striking art and coves on Violent Cases, Black Orchid, Sandman and Arkham Assylum. Kevin O'Neil drew Marshal Law in the 80's and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen from the late 90's up to now. Brian Bolland was one of the biggest reasons for Judge Dredd's popularity, did the art for Camelot 3000 one of DC's first mature readers titles, and then drew the Killing Joke. Plus his covers helped boost the popularity of Animal Man and The Invisibles. Steve Dillon did a lot of indie work in 80's and drew Hellblazer and Preacher, two of the most successful Vertigo titles, which Glenn Fabry did the covers for.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012, 7:46:27 AM PDT
Esgaldil says:
Random - I'm also puzzled at your assertion that Americans mistake a British accent for quality in a discussion about a non-audible medium. Plenty of Americans wouldn't even hear From Hell or V For Vendetta in a British accent without making a conscious effort, and there is certainly no obvious British accent in works like Watchmen, Swamp Thing, or Animal Man (other than guests such as Constantine and Mirror Master).

Do you mean a British sensibility more broadly?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012, 7:53:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2012, 7:54:54 AM PDT
Es, I suppose you could say I was being figurative- what i was trying to say was, there's a strange sort of british love hate relationship in the states. And i am not saying people LIKED their work because they were british merely that it feels like they are being singled out and lauded especially well because they are brits.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012, 8:07:12 AM PDT
Cerberus says:
Strange to love or hate someone's work purely on the basis of where they're from eh ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012, 8:12:44 AM PDT
i agree

Posted on Jul 8, 2012, 5:51:22 PM PDT
Esgaldil says:
It often makes sense to talk about cultural groups in the history of various arts and cultural movements, though. The "British Invasion" in which bands such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Who changed a form of a musical expression that had until that time been primarily an American endeavour is well known. In comics, the national products most familiar to me are the American comics of the 1930's and 1940's, from which most modern western comics are derived, and the Japanese comics from a few decades later, which took a great deal from the American output but are responsible for a sufficient number of fundamental transformations that it makes sense to talk about Japanese Comics as if they were different media entirely.

My understanding of Johnson's initial post is as a claim that an identifiable group of Brits added something to language of comics in a meaningful way. I think it's an arguable point - I don't have a sufficiently encyclopedic knowledge of the subject matter to evaluate its truth, but it is at the very least worth considering.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012, 7:31:17 AM PDT
Jim Long says:
RCL do you have any source for this: "Es, I suppose you could say I was being figurative- what i was trying to say was, there's a strange sort of british love hate relationship in the states."

I worked for an American company in the 80's based in London. I then went on to work for several others in the 90's moving to the U.S. to start some business practices. I found that I had to prove myself a whole lot more valuable than employees they could have hired locally.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012, 10:09:02 AM PDT
Cerberus says:
Esgaldil

When you look at the talent that has been mentioned that left the British comic industry and joint yours, I think it's safe to say the void left in the UK must have been felt to some degree and it must have enriched your end. Save it ? hmmm ( I'm not up on the struggles the USA comics industry faced back then ), push some new ideas and maybe help get the darker, grittier stuff out all round... maybe.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Comics forum (550 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Comics forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers