Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Cookbook forum

Beginning to Equip a Kitchen?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 119 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 30, 2011 8:36:33 PM PDT
As far as knives go, I've had a set of Furi's (there should be a double dot over the u, but I don't know how to do that on my keyboard), for well over 10 years, and they're still as sharp as ever. I usually just use a steel to sharpen them, but if you're not keen on using a steel they also have a little handheld stone gadget that has the correct angles so you just need to swipe it through carefully. It's pretty easy to use.

I love my Furi's, I wouldn't use any other kind of knife.

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Mick

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2010 4:24:11 PM PDT
Grandma says:
Well I wish I had seen your post earlier Rose. I had a wonderful inexpensive grill big enough to cook an entire pound of bacon on but eventually it wore out. The kids got me a large Black & Decker to replace it. That danged thing never did heat correctly - something wrong with the heat control. I've not replaced it now that there is only the one of me, so I would suggest that you either just buy a cheap griddle or learn to use the cast iron. No way I would bother with a griddle with little indentations - then you can't use it for anything else! You'll find it very handy when you need to produce grilled cheese for the multitudes or need to cook an entire pound of bacon.

I prefer decently seasoned regular cast iron to any of my Le Crueset or anything else other than a griddle for pancakes because the regular cast iron needs almost no grease. Just a quick swipe with a paper towel that has been moistened with about as much oil as a spot the size of a dime. Do NOT turn the heat over 3/4, wait to pour the pancake until a couple of drops of water shaken off your fingers dance across the surface (a couple of minutes) and be prepared to turn the heat down to the lower end of medium. Letting the griddle get too hot causes problems, as you discovered.

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 3:50:11 PM PDT
lbgo says:
Rose,
You might want to ask them at:
http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/KitchenAppliancesAndRecipes

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 4:43:10 PM PDT
S. Peshkoff says:
Hi, all!

I read that many like particular brands and all, but for me when I started collecting items for my kitchen, I would hit discount stores like Marshall's etc. I bought a cast iron LARGE pan which has TOTALLY become my go to pan: breakfast for three; sticking it in the oven; not burning food ;-)...and it's easy to clean. Had I looked for it specifically, I would have baulked (sp?) at the weight and the price...same goes for a nice, matching set, normally seen at the better stores, and I realize that I hardly use them - but I don't feel so bad, they were cheap. I also find unusual things that I have fun with ( like empanada forms, etc) for cheap...Oh, and Cook's Illustrated - I'd get those just for that great back page!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2010 4:14:13 PM PDT
You might want to check out this
page about kitchen essentials.

http://www.seasonedwithlove.com/kitchen_essentials.htm

This has links to all the basics you need to
start cooking.

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 8:58:47 AM PDT
This morning we were short on eggs, and since I don't keep Bisquick, I looked up a pancake recipe. The batter and the ultimate taste were good enough, but the pancakes burned almost immediately! I cooked them in my twelve-inch Le Creuset fry pan, and what I did not realize is that cast iron continues to stay hot, and I needed no heat, once the oil was heated to the correct point.

I would like to order an inexpensive pancake griddle pan. Since I seem to be terrible at pancakes, I wonder if I should purchase a pancake pan which has the little indentations for silver dollar pancakes, instead purchasing a flat griddle pan. Now our children are agitating for pancakes every morning, so I had better learn fast! Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Shy Rose

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2010 8:52:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2010 8:54:55 PM PDT
Michael Long says:
S. Peshkoff, No offense taken, I love blogging and there are so many food blogs out there, We can always use more. And thank you for Plugging my blog. Yes do come on over and check it out. Right now I'm on a Chocolate kick, When you come over you'll see what I'm talking about. And if my blog is something you like, don't be afraid to join to get E-mails, with the last post on them. There is no cost, I don't make any money from this, But I have met so many wonderful people that just enjoy cooking and enjoying the sharing of information that they have gotten from where ever. Food Blogging is a wonderful world, And the friendships that you gain from all over the world is just unbelievable. Everything is always so positive, To write a blog or be involved in one is such a wonderful experience.
Sorry I didn't mean to get on my blogging soap box, But do take a look, There are some really sharp blogs out there. mike long. I don't know if I should post my blog address, or not, But to be safe, it's on my profile page...
Oh before I forget, alot of us bloggers have links to other blogs and those blogs have links to other blogs and so on and so forth. Now if there was a way to get rich from all this food love. But maybe we are RICH from it....I know it's made my Heart rich from the sharing.

Posted on Mar 28, 2010 9:46:10 PM PDT
I'm sorry for my remarks about New York City. I was speaking as a tourist, from my experience in going there every year with my wife for a conference. I love the city and if I won the lottery big it is where I'd live. It amazes me what is available there. There were 8 or 10 kitchen supply stores in a few blocks.

As far as the waxed paper, I've used it in cake pans, to help the cakes to release. On cookie sheets, wasn't that what the original question was about, I'd probably try Silipat.

A lot of the stuff at the kitchen supply place was made by Winware/Winco. Some of it is available on Amazon, especially the stockpots. I got a 16 qt stainless stockpot with an encapsulated aluminum base for about $60. That's the price it is on Amazon, more or less. The knives were made by a professional knife supplier, Dexter-Russell and they are available online.

Off to look for a copy of a Trinidad cookbook... I just finished a review copy of "The Spice Necklace" and I am intrigued by that cuisine. It looks like most of the cookbooks are out of print, darn it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2010 3:30:16 PM PDT
Grandma says:
Rose, I will be very happy to post those links as soon as I lay hands on my own computer. It looks like I'll be heading home at some point on Thursday or Friday.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2010 3:29:24 PM PDT
Grandma says:
S. Peshkoff, thank you for your kind words. I'm really only just passing on knowledge so many others have passed to me, but I'm glad you're learning to participate in the wonders of the Internet. I was so very lucky to learn about the Internet before the World Wide Web (what you know as the internet) existed. There is great fun to be had if you look and many friends to make from all over the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2010 3:01:41 PM PDT
Grandma, I would be so grateful if you would post the links to your favorite cooking supplies sources, whenever you are able to do so upon your return home! Thank you.

*This* is good to know: "Precut parchment paper sheets are something that you can easily find in virtually any restaurant supply, bakery supply, cake decorating store, and sometimes even in the cake decorating section at Walmart."

I know; King Arthur's prices are truly horrible, and of course, shipping charges tend to parallel merchandise prices in outrageousness.

Shy Rose

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2010 2:44:49 PM PDT
Svet, I am grateful also to all the participants here who share their very *considerable* experiences and knowledge!

Shy Rose

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2010 2:39:57 PM PDT
Thank you, S. Kessler, for being so understanding.

Shy Rose

Posted on Mar 27, 2010 2:42:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2010 2:44:14 PM PDT
S. Peshkoff says:
To Grandma! I have NEVER responded or participated in on line conversations, but you are truly a National Treasure with all the information you have for us newbies!! Wow! I think you need to also have a blog! No offense Michael Long, I am so totally going to check out YOUR blog, because you, too, have such wonderful and useful information - so now I am officially sucked into the cyberworld of blogging. Thank you, Shy, for starting all of this! Svet

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2010 2:31:09 PM PDT
Grandma says:
King Arthur is located not far from me in Norwich, Vermont. They do not actually make the parchment paper that they sell - or any of the other non-food products. And frankly, though I do run up now and again for something special I cannot find anywhere else for love nor money, in general their products are often overpriced by more than a little bit, even in comparison to other high end kitchenware stores like Sur Le Table.

Precut parchment paper sheets are something that you can easily find in virtually any restaurant supply, bakery supply, cake decorating store and sometimes even in the cake decorating section at Walmart.

Yes, KA shipping is still pretty over the top. I'm on their mailing list and I fairly often get offers for free shipping but invariably I have to spend $50+ - far more than one bag of rye flour or a pack of parchment paper will cost. I, too, do a great deal of shopping online. Amazon is a super resource, but there are a number of reliable kitchen & cookware suppliers online. Don't be afraid to shop around. When I get home to my own computer next week (up in northern Vermont helping a daughter move) I'll post a couple of links to my faves.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2010 2:21:03 PM PDT
Kay, this is so helpful to know that I may be able to order the sized parchment sheets from Amazon, especially since I am a "Prime Member" and may be able to order them or related items without paying shipping charges!

Shy Rose

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2010 1:40:35 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Don't worry, SR, I was not trying to convert you. It's not like I really practice Judaism, myself, anyway. I'm more of a cultural Jew. I was just providing some information that not many people know about.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2010 1:24:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2010 1:28:48 PM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
You could get it from King Arthur - they have a website with a Baker's Catalogue. Also, you could get it here on Amazon - UltraBake Parchment Paper Sheets - 12 × 16½. I've also seen that you can get it in rounds for cakes. I don't make enough cakes to make that one worth it for me, but I do love the parchment paper precut to the size of my half-sheet pan. There may be other sources, which I didn't realize when I ordered mine from King Arthur. I will probably shop it out more the next time I go to buy, but that pack will last me a while, I think.

(I live in a pretty populated area in Northern California, and I haven't seen this product in any store around here, either.)

Posted on Mar 27, 2010 11:53:11 AM PDT
I thank Kay Shepherd, S. Kessler, and Grandma for sharing detailed information, knowledge, and suggestions regarding parchment paper and wax paper. If cut and sized parchment paper is made by King Arthur, is it from the King Arthur catalog that I can order it? I believe that the company is in Connecticut, and that I have received the catalog before. King Arthur used to charge for shipping according to the weight of *each* item, but now they have an ordinary shipping-fees chart, I believe.

(Many folks here may be astonished at how isolated in the rural Midwest we are, but all too often, it is much easier and a great deal faster for me to order online or from a catalog.)

Shy Rose

Posted on Mar 27, 2010 11:03:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2010 11:07:00 AM PDT
Hello, Good People, now I've done it! Firstly, I am not Shy Rose for nuthin'! I tend to run away. or at least to avoid all conflict. Grandma and dear S. Kessler, I respect both of you so very much.

Secondly, please forgive me, S. Kessler, because I should not have gone so far off-topic, since now my conscience forces me to say that I could never convert to Judaism. Please, do not be offended. I am a flaming Roman Catholic, I suppose! I have had a long-standing fascination with and a profound respect for Judaism, but as you can imagine, my beliefs are Christian, and therefore I cannot repudiate Christ.

I have explored other religions much more casually than I explore Judaism now, from the new-age "goddess" to Buddhism, where the Goddess of Mercy makes me cry, but I am stuck with my beliefs. (Am I stuck with a Pope who was "perforce" a Hitler's Youth, and who will now very likely be exposed as having returned an abusive priest to pastoral situations where he abused again? Life can be too painful and horribly bewildering.)

What have I done now?

sad Shy Rose, who never could stick to her cooking

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2010 1:31:47 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Grandma's post:
What I objected to specifically was your statement that the authors of the Princeton studies were somehow validating his work. On the contrary, he has no work to validate - merely a report, which may or may not be valid.

SK: Grandma, I don't mean to pick nits with you as you seem to know your stuff when it comes to science. But you completely misinterpreted my statement about the Princeton study and Taubes. What I said in my earlier post was: "The Princeton study confirms earlier studies that Gary Taubes reported on in his book." I didn't not say it validated Taube's "work." I was referencing the earlier scientific studies that Taubes was reporting on. There is a big difference between what you thought I said and what I actually said. You should have read my post more carefully.

That being said, I think a book that does a careful job of analyzing the results of a multitude of studies on a particular subject and tries to explain those results to a lay audience which is unlikely to understand the complexities of a scientific journal article is worthy of being recommended as reading material. I don't think Shy Rose, or anyone else on this forum with the exception of yourself, has a desire or inclination to write a research paper for graduate class in science.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2010 11:42:40 AM PDT
Grandma says:
I did not condemn the book. I "condemned" reference to him as a scientific authority on the subject. He is a writer - not a scientist. When you are looking for authoritative references in medicine, you do not look to scientific writers, you look to working scientists doing valid, reproducible research. I would not accept Mr. Taub's book as part of a bibliography from a student and I would not use it myself.

What I objected to specifically was your statement that the authors of the Princeton studies were somehow validating his work. On the contrary, he has no work to validate - merely a report, which may or may not be valid.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2010 11:16:42 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I really don't understand your objections to Gary Taubes' book, Grandma. You obviously haven't read it. You don't know how he conducted his analyses of the research data. You say things like "he may or may not understand the spectrum available on a given subject." Well, this is certainly an unsupportable assumption on your part.

I have read a great deal about nutrition and health. I have read my share of journal articles (I used to raise funds for medical research, so I know how to look at reports on such and interpret them). I have also read my share of magazine articles and books on the subject. Some of them have faulty interpretations of the research. And some have incisive interpretations of the research. I put Taubes in the latter category. His purpose in writing his book was to provide a lay audience, which either does not have access to scientific journals or doesn't know how to read or evaluate the information contained in them, with an in-depth analysis of what 150 or so years of the science of nutrition is telling us. I consider that a worthwhile endeavor and highly recommend the book.

Next time, if I were you, I'd actually read a book before condemning it or its author.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2010 10:27:19 AM PDT
Grandma says:
Sure. Valid scientific information comes directly from valid, reproducible scientific studies. It is not a matter of shortcomings of the book - it is simply that whatever Gary Taubes wrote is simply his take on studies that may or may not represent the spectrum available on a given subject, which he may or may not understand, no matter how many awards he has received as a science writer. Awards do not automatically merit a stamp of achievement. Witness recently award Nobels.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2010 10:24:08 AM PDT
Grandma says:
Waxed paper most certainly can go in the oven. It is only very recently that parchment paper has been available to home cooks. Generations have used waxed paper instead to line cake pans with for easy removal. And it does need to be greased lightly.

Now, if you're talking about cookie baking, waxed paper works beautifully lightly greased and floured for meringues - or pavlova shells. You don't need it though for most cookies that contain butter.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cookbook forum (132 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cookbook forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  119
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions