Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Appliances not made in China

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2011, 7:21:09 AM PDT
MTS says:
Actually, USA made junk during the 60-70's Gm's pland was to make cars that lasted 2-3 yrs to encourage more frequent purchases. Enter Japan Asian markets, and they make Honda, Toyota, etc and have captured the world market with quality automobiles. The same will happen with CHina over time.....the will out perform us due to their will to be the best. Unfortunate that we can't beat them with superior work ethics. We all pay the price.

Posted on Jul 28, 2011, 8:16:02 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
I think China's a lot more willing to engage in shortcuts in general than even Japan (I had a Japanese colleague years ago, same age as myself, who pointed out to me that Japan had the ability to run with someone else's idea but came up with nothing original, and that would include their culture which they nicked from China and then refined), and that's not just in industry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifold_Destiny (I suggest pulling up the actual NYT article; it makes for fascinating reading). I have a colleague who also had unpleasant dealings with the named Yau who attempted to grab credit for something my colleague had done; it had to do with a conference in someone's honor. In addition, there was a scandal at the school where I earned my undergrad degree due to Chinese proctors giving students solutions to chemistry problems in Mandarin during exams. And then there was that whole "age thing" with regard to the "women" gymnasts during the last Summer Olympics...

I'm not saying this is true of every Chinese individual but the culture is infused with it and the government is no less guilty. So please spare me about "will to be the best." It's more about "will to LOOKING like the best." "Face" is a very important concept in East Asia and it's more often than not tied to the cost of something, not its value. And the cheapest commodity in China is human life.

Posted on Jul 28, 2011, 8:45:18 AM PDT
Della says:
China's main interest is money! Never mind making products of quality! Never mind the durability! Just money! Give them big bucks, they'll give you (fill in the blank)! Never mind poor working conditions, children in factories, cruelty big time! They are a different culture and we're not going to change that fact!

Posted on Jul 28, 2011, 9:32:14 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
And we shouldn't try to change their culture--we've gotten into a world of trouble over the years trying to inflict our culture on others. But we should certainly be aware of other cultures and if we're going to deal with them it should be with that awareness in mind and with the knowledge that what's said vs. what's meant are likely to be if not antithetical at least very different.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2011, 3:36:53 PM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
The clad items are made here. Other items are made in China. This includes the lids, and other things, too. Utensils, splatter screens, slow cookers.... From their website: "All-Clad's tools, accessories (including the roaster combo's), lids or electrical kitchen appliances, are manufactured by select partners overseas qualified carefully by All-Clad with highest quality specifications."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011, 10:17:27 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
MacGuffin, what's the best we can do when "our" own government (rapidly becoming a subsidiary of China Inc) has long since become antithetical to traditional American values?

Posted on Jul 31, 2011, 10:24:48 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
I agree with you (so much for self-government). In the meantime, I'll look for goods that aren't made in China. Again, I have at least one such appliance that's excellent (actually two by the same manufacturer--my soy milk makers) but it's the exception from what I've seen. If for no other reason, realize that it's more expensive in the long run to buy junk.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011, 11:09:17 AM PDT
Kca says:
I'm looking for a crockpot not made in China...any advice?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011, 11:27:18 AM PDT
Katie says:
Support the US economy by buying American made as much as you can. China is not our friend. I've heard good anecdotal reports on Vitamix products and they are manufactured in Ohio.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011, 1:26:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2011, 1:32:02 PM PDT
Just to add a point from the other perspective,

APPLE computers are made in CHINA.

Quality is not dependent on the country of manufacture, the motivations and production practices of the manufacturer determines the quality of any product. This includes raw materials and quality control, most importantly the motivations of the company. If they want to make cheap low quality products with high margin, they know the consumer driven US economy will eat them up. Great US companies such as Apple and Plantronics have built and operate factories in China in order to assure high quality. (and humane working conditions)

Posted on Jul 31, 2011, 2:56:55 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
You mean like a slow-cooker? I don't know of any although Nesco makes a roaster oven that could be used as a slow-cooker (it's pretty big); I think the current ones are made in China but I seem to recall that older ones that were made here get listed on eBay quite frequently. You could read the reviews here for the current ones and then head over to eBay.

Posted on Aug 1, 2011, 5:04:35 PM PDT
Hot Hands says:
Next time you are grocery shopping, check the country of origin on your frozen veggies...for many it's CHINA...tell me it's cost effective to grow vegetables there, and ship them here? (is this why they are attacking illegal immigrants, who pick food in the US?)...with all the safety standards NO WAY am I buying produce from China.

I remember ordering parts, things lasting, not cheap, plastic, disposable CRAP...I also remember better economic times...sorry, I'm not supporting a culture whose factory workers sleep in the factory (watch the documentary "The Last Train Home"...the Chinese know they are being used, the people leave their kids behind, and move to the cities to live in the factories and go home once a year over Chinese New Year...the woman in the documentary has seen her children once a year for over 10 years...support that why don't you?)

No, I'm doing my best to be more mindful with my money...the greedy of the world only know 1 thing...money...so I used mine to vote every day.

Posted on Aug 1, 2011, 5:14:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2011, 5:21:59 PM PDT
Hot Hands says:
...and Born shoes...I have an old pair I can't part with...but I can't fit into the new ones...all now made in China...my feet are on the wide side...and dammit...I used to LOVE Born shoes...nope not anymore...and they aren't any less expensive, just cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011, 7:41:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2011, 7:41:33 AM PDT
Della says:
I am of the older generation and luckily both of my parents had excellent, almost photographic memory. I inherited that memory. So, I haven't been buying things from China for a long time. However, my dish towels and bath towels are wearing and I need new ones. Most all are from China. When big companies such as Martha Stewart go to China to make their items cheaper, this is what we get! IKEA just opened in Centennial CO. Guess what?! Their kitchen department is filled with things from China; only a few from Inda and the Czech Republic. Hobby Lobby carries all China products. The NAFTA did not do the USA any favors. If we buy from other countries, they should be buying from us. It is not "fair" as it was supposed to be. So, keep on looking for "non-China" products. Maybe together we can help turn things around.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011, 10:01:33 PM PDT
Hi I know your predicament made in china products mostly works a few months and it gets broken and you had to chuck it and buy a new one. I was at Macy's looking at calphalon and kitchenaid kitchen small appliances and there are all made in china now. In my family, we joked about buying china made products were produced to make it for 2 years at most. Then you have to buy a new one. What I've been finding at good will store are the old made in America good old fashion last forever appliances. I recently purchased an unused calphalon frying pans made in Ohio. I love it. Have you ever tried the Japanese stores they are well made too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011, 6:36:55 AM PDT
The some or all the enamel is made in China. I looked at a enamal dutch oven at Target it is made in China.

Posted on Aug 3, 2011, 7:18:06 AM PDT
TinkHerToy says:
Wouldn't it be nice if Amazon could give us a filtering option for country of origin in our searches? Just an idea. Would make it much easier to make wiser, educated purchases.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011, 7:54:51 AM PDT
R. Grove says:
Sierra Trading Post always posts country of origin, which is why I like shopping there. They sell clothing and outdoor gear.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011, 2:22:38 AM PDT
"Wouldn't it be nice if Amazon could give us a filtering option for country of origin in our searches? Just an idea. Would make it much easier to make wiser, educated purchases. "
See the rest of this thread why that wouldn't work, with the added twist that such things often change on the fly between (or even within) batches. Not only can you have something labelled "made in USA" that's assembled in the US from components built elsewhere (which according to some means it's mislabelled) but if they have 10 sitting on shelves it may well be 5 of them come out of one factory and 5 out of another in another country.
Plus the potential littigation trap from people calling "discrimination" because "Amazon tries to drive business away from foreigners" by telling customers that things aren't made at home (it sounds crazy, but companies get sued for crazy stuff).

Posted on Aug 4, 2011, 3:12:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2011, 3:13:36 AM PDT
R. Grove says:
Sierra Trading Post has been providing country of origin for years, and it works perfectly well. When they have mixed batches, they're labeled accordingly, "made in xxx or yyy", and there's no problem. Items made of imported components can also be labeled as such, "made in the USA of imported components".

Posted on Aug 4, 2011, 9:59:20 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
I like Wal*Mart's practice of listing things online as "origin : domestic and/or imported." It helps weed out those pesky extraterrestrial products.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 8:34:26 AM PDT
B. Murray says:
EVERYTHING is political these days. I have NO interest in supporting China's economy. Millions of good paying jobs have gone there just so we can buy cheaper goods, which doesn't work too well if you have no money. Hard to get excited by cookware when you live under a bridge...Of course the Lodge cast iron (made in the USA ) can double as prsonal protection. I wouldn't want to be hit with one! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 8:59:19 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
To add insult to injury, it's not cheap.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 9:20:39 AM PDT
C. L. Barron says:
Domestic and/or imported does not help me at all...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 2:50:40 PM PDT
I don't care where it is made!!!
I ain't spendin' no mo money.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 43 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (882 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  317
Total posts:  1067
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 42 customers