Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Rice Cookers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-31 of 31 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 19, 2012, 12:01:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012, 12:03:51 PM PDT
pleber says:
Just MHO that what you all are missing in the discussion here, is that no matter where they are made, most of the pans are lined with teflon or other non-stick coating. Granted this is what makes them a pleasure to clean, but in my mind it is what has kept me from buying one of these machines and is as much of a concern to me as it being made in China. I have chosen to avoid all non-stick coatings and aluminum cookware, and am ditching my 20+ yr. old aluminum rice cooker, and am considering sacrificing the ease of cleaning for a clay or stainless steel liner. Again, just my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 9:13:30 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
Very good point. And one we keep forgetting.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012, 8:17:10 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
fears about nonstick coatings in low heat cooking (like a rice cooker) are way overblown. Just be sure to use plastic, silicone, or wood utensils so the do not scratch.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012, 11:34:10 AM PDT
mom of 2 says:
i bought the black and decker double decker flavor steamer, they have one on amazon but omg its over a hundred bucks! i paid around 40 bucks for mine over 8 years ago at wal-mart. but let me just say this steamer i use more then my toaster almost as much as my coffee pot, lol. I LOVE THIS STEAMER! it makes perfect rice and i have steamed corn, crab and different vegetable in this, its so great, i think i would cry if it broke! the instruction book tells you how much water to add, how long, for many different things. by the way everytime someone comes over and i make rice, everyone asks how i do it, its so good! it is steamed rice the way i like it, not in a regular rice cooker that makes it mushy.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012, 1:32:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012, 1:35:42 PM PDT
I have a Sanyo rice pot that we must have had for almost 20 years. I couldn't find it in the Amazon listed Sanyo's but the others looked much better that mine. We lost the little measuring cup years ago but the rule for making rice is one cup water and two cups rice and you can spray a little Pam in the pan if you like. That's what we always use and it's always perfect. I buy Jasmin scented rice at Costco in 25 pound bags ($8.00) which is a big cost saver and we always have an extra one on hand. The Jasmin rice smells like popcorn cooking and is our favorite brand and makes your kitchen smell great. It is never gummy and we do make a lot of rice. The pot is aluminum and not coated with a non-stick substance.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012, 9:49:59 AM PDT
Has anyone used milk in their rice cooker? Not condensed or evaporated but milk from a carton. I love making quinoa with milk but it takes forever on the stove and has to be watched constantly. I've heard rice cookers are great for quinoa but haven't seen anyone mention using milk with it or rice.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (882 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Mar 26, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers