Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Cast Iron skillet?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 501-525 of 837 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 6:29:31 AM PST
Inventor, yes indeedy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 6:31:32 AM PST
Grandma I copied the file and am now reading it. What milk choices do I have? Can I use my normal skim milk? Or just whole milk?

Posted on Jan 31, 2011, 6:52:05 AM PST
Elaine - I was a Yankee (CT, MA and NH) until twenty years ago. I like to butter then pour maple syrup on my cornbread. That's eating. I do like the weather here in NC!

The funniest vanity license plate I have seen: "X-NYER"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 7:13:56 AM PST
Grandma says:
It sounds good Elaine - and what used to be known as Johnny Cake. Did you modify the recipe to use whole wheat flour? I've never seen a cornbread recipe that did until perhaps the 1970s with the rise of vegetarianism in this country.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 7:17:52 AM PST
Grandma says:
You can probably use your normal skim milk Inventor, but it would be a little on the "lean" side. I've made this with regular milk, 2% (which I do not like to keep around because of the extra milk solids), buttermilk, "fake" butter milk that you make by putting a tablespoon of cider vinegar in the bottom of the cup before you measure your milk and even powdered dry milk. I used to take this camping by mixing all of the dry ingredients in a ziplock along with 1/3-1/2 cup of powdered milk powder. When you're ready to cook you can just add the eggs, oil and water instead of milk.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 7:18:56 AM PST
Grandma says:
You should try honey on that cornbread! It melts right down into the cornbread and sort of drips through to the other side. Yum, yum, yum!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 7:40:03 AM PST
Grandma, I see the choices for the milk. I bet buttermilk adds some extra body to the cornbread. What do you recommend?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 7:46:14 AM PST
Grandma says:
Inventor, this is a recipe I've used for decades really more according to what I happen to have available in the kitchen than any particular preference. If I'm low on eggs, I use 1 rather than 2 and so on. Right now I happen to have buttermilk, but I'm low on baking soda because I've been washing my hair with it hoping it would do something for my allergies, so regular milk it would be if you see what I mean.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 8:21:12 AM PST
Grandma -- You are a good writer! And I understand what you are saying - perfectly.

In inventing often the mistakes (or lack of something) solves a problem or forces an unexpected result. That's part of the fun of inventing and in cooking too.

Posted on Jan 31, 2011, 9:00:24 AM PST
Ami♥ says:
Elaine,

I am a Yankee too, from Massachusetts, but I now live in California. This is my favorite Yankee cornbread recipe and I found it in an old cookbook that I used to have--can't remember the name of it now. For some reason, I typed the whole recipe in upper-case letters, but don't know if they will stay that way. I think the posting program won't allow all capital letters.

SOUR CREAM CORNBREAD

3/4 CUP YELLOW CORN MEAL
1 CUP UNSIFTED ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
1/4 CUP SUGAR
2 TEASPOONS DOUBLE-ACTING BAKING POWDER
1/2 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
3/4 TEASPOON SALT
1 CUP SOUR CREAM
1/4 CUP MILK
1 EGG, BEATEN
2 TABLESPOONS BUTTER, MELTED

MIX ALL INGREDIENTS JUST ENOUGH TO BLEND. POUR IN HOT, GREASED 8" CAST IRON PAN. BAKE IN HOT OVEN (425 F) ABOUT 20 MINUTES OR UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:08:09 AM PST
Grandma says:
Hmm - I've seen that recipe before. Farm Journal maybe?

PS - I am a Southern Yankee. My Dad was from Massachusetts and my Mom was a North Carolina girl. I grew up in both places so I cook both. When it comes to cornbread, though, I am a Southern Girl all the way. Except when I Tex-Mexi it up a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:15:22 AM PST
Grandma, I didn't change the recipe at all. It's good as it's own (?). You know what I mean : }

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:18:42 AM PST
Inventor, the buttermilk keeps in extra moistness (I would think). I'm sure it you don't buttermilk, you can sub. with curdled milk: milk and vinegar or even sour cream.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:21:35 AM PST
Grandma says:
Yes, I do know what you mean Elaine. I was just curious about the whole wheat flour in it. I've never seen a cornbread recipe from much before the 1970's that had whole wheat flour in it. Maybe mid 60s or so. About the time Diet for a Small Planet came out people started changing the old recipes to accomodate a vegetarian diet. Which leads me to believe that somewhere along the line someone adapted your recipe.

One of the basic principles of vegetarian nutrition is that if you eat any two of these together you are consuming a whole protein. Vegetable protein does not contain all the amino acids that animal protein does. So the list is -

corn
wheat
rye
milk and milk products
soy
beans/lentils

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:22:04 AM PST
Okay, I will share my recipe later, because I have things to do right now. I probably have the most simplest of recipes. Thanks Grandma and Linda. I am always gamed in trying something new.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:26:11 AM PST
Grandma, yes I know about making complete proteins from the mixing of grain with beans and grains with dairy. I am a nurse, with nutrition as my love since being a teenager.

The recipe I have probably goes back a couple of hundreds of years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:27:54 AM PST
Ami♥ says:
Grandma,

We can always count on you to give us the straight skinny. I couldn't think of the name of the cookbook, but you are absolutely correct. I am glad to attribute it to its original source (or at least where I found it).

Now I remember checking the Farm Journal Cookbook out of the library and copying out many of the recipes, since there were no copy machines in those days, let alone computers.

I hesitate to say it, but I have never eaten Southern cornbread. However, I have recently been given a recipe from a friend in Texas that I will try very soon--also the ones from this terrific thread .

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:29:49 AM PST
Elaine - So you wanted to scream at us? eheheh Cap's are apparently acceptable here. Certainly the recipe is welcome. Thank you. It too goes right onto my HDD and off to the printer.

FWIW I lived in Waltham, W Springfield and S Natick where we had a bachelor house in a house built in 1621 on the estate of the lovely heiress of the Domino Sugar Company money. She was 94 and a gem. When I walked over to her home to pay our rent I would offer her a cigarette which she loved. She would smoke and tell me stories about her childhood in the same house where she still lived "17 miles from the State House" in Boston. Those were some days for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:33:17 AM PST
Grandma says:
Linda, do give the flourless version a try. I find it moister than the cornbread that contains flour and of course it is gluten-free. If you happen to have corn dodger pans - the cast iron pan that makes the little corn on the cob type things - this will make somewhere between 18-24 of them and they are even yummier, even though it is the same batter. I keep extras in the freezer and just pop them into the oven for a few minutes to warm up and re-crisp.

I used to copy recipes out by hand too. My recipe journal from those days fell to shreds long ago though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:36:19 AM PST
Grandma - Isnt this interestig! My ex and I moved from Warwick in Orange County, NY to Lake Gaston in NC in '91. Divorced I moved to High Point in 2001 and finally Greensboro in 2004.

I lived in Maplewood NJ until I was 10 y/o when we moved to Hamden CT, near New Haven, home to Pepe's Pizza some of the very best in the world bar none.

NC has not one decent bakery like in NJ though. Other than that I do like it here - lots.

Hondajet does too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:36:49 AM PST
Ami♥ says:
Inventor,

I grew up in a small village 15 miles from Springfield on the Connecticut border. We had an elementary school that only went to 8th grade, so we had to go to the next town for 9th grade, then all the way to Springfield for the last three years of high school.

Often, our school bus was late because of bad weather and the fact that the speed limit was only 35 MPH all the way to the school. When we finally did make it, the city students would always shout, "Hicks, hicks, from the sticks." True, but hurtful all the same. I did love growing up where I did though and miss it to this day.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:39:44 AM PST
Grandma says:
NC does have a decent bakery or two. You need to look up the Moravian bakeries. It won't be the same as NJ with the Italian background, but it will be good. Try the Moravian Sugar Cake - or just make your own.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:40:27 AM PST
Grandma I do like buttermilk a lot. I got to like it while I was in the Army We drank a quart at lunch when I was at Ft Benning in GA. Regular milk would curdle in our stomachs so we had no real choice other than warm water.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:42:56 AM PST
Grandma says:
My mother used to drink buttermilk - it was quite the treat in the old-time South, maybe for the same reason you drank it at Fort Benning. I just cook with it, though now that I have found a source for a reasonably prices natural version in quarts I might try some. I thought it was nasty as a child. Since then I've learned to love yogurt (plain no less!) and keffir, so maybe buttermilk would be a go.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011, 9:43:50 AM PST
Ami♥ says:
Thanks, Grandma, I will give the flourless version a try. I buy my corn meal from a local store that specializes in organic foods, so it is fresher than bought in boxes. There are so many customers around here that do the same that everything in the bins is fresh. I also love their whole wheat pastry flour, by the way.

I have heard that corn meal goes rancid very quickly, so I try to make sure that I buy fresh and refrigerate it as soon as I get home from the store--same with all similar products.

I don't have one of the corn dodger pans, but have seen them in local antique stores, so it will be my pleasure to look for one.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (884 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Tupperware lid too big for bowl? 0 1 day ago
Saj 0 2 days ago
Baking in a Breville Smart Oven 199 2 days ago
Black Olive Juice 10 Aug 13, 2017
Is freezer cooking saving you money? 28 Aug 13, 2017
If you could share a meal with anyone...? 72 Aug 13, 2017
What's the best pot to cook candy in? 42 Aug 10, 2017
Appliances not made in China 1068 Jul 20, 2017
pasta express ctc machine recipe needed 46 Jul 10, 2017
Forbidden Rice? 54 Jul 7, 2017
Ball Instant Pectin Question 17 Jun 22, 2017
pizza stone FUMES & SMELL 50 Jun 17, 2017

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  156
Total posts:  837
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers