Amazon Vehicles Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Lady Gaga Shop Cycling on Amazon
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Ace of Cakes is about looks not taste

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2010 1:04:31 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2011 1:50:47 PM PDT]

Posted on May 27, 2010 4:39:15 PM PDT
Alpha says:
Agreed. While there is definitely an artistic quality to their creations, I don't see very much attention being paid toward the taste of these "cakes".

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 4:53:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2011 1:50:48 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 5:21:17 PM PDT
ace™ says:
to be honest, james... i HATE that show and have never watched an entire episode...

i always chalked it up to the fact that i would rather have salty/spicy/crispy any day over sugar... but, i think duff needs a diet and adenoid surgery!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 5:35:50 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 5:41:53 PM PDT
ace™ says:
i certainly don't watch as much FN as i used to... it will be interesting to see what their spin-off channel is like... the cooking channel, or something like that...

and don't EVEN get me started on rachel ray... what's she got in cute, she makes up for in stupid. and i love how she hawks her "chefware" but is not even a chef! i've spent MUCH more time in food service than that bimbo! LOL! guess my attitude is showing again...

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 5:43:54 PM PDT

Posted on May 27, 2010 8:48:07 PM PDT
Michael Long says:
Oh you all have set out the soap box for me... I'm to the point that the only thing that I can handle at anyone time is Chopped, and that even wears on me... But those chefs on there give it there all. Alton Brown is great, if not for the knowledge for the way he presents himself... He's great. As far as Ace of Cakes... I'm not able to watch even the commercials for it anymore...I don't see any professionalism with him or his staff... And for him to lets say be so great... I've seen alot of local bakers that can cook around him in a heart beat... Oh RR, that gal makes my skin crawl... the way she abuses food... oh don't get me started... on that bimbo... However, as much as we all complain about the food network and the bimbo's they have managed to get people back into the kitchen to cook again... It's just to bad that food network is for the most part not teaching the right way to cook... and the ones that did show the right way are all gone now... Now what you have is gals with big boobs trying to abuse the food they are cooking and sending the wrong message about cooking to the people that really want to learn. We need to go back to the Julia Child, way of cooking. We would be so much better off, health wise, head wise, money wise... But the Queen is gone...
I'm sorry about babbling about the food network, it has gotten some people to think about cooking again, that's the good thing, the bad this is that they are teaching them the wrong ways....... Thank your listening to me babble about this...

Posted on May 27, 2010 10:53:24 PM PDT

Posted on May 28, 2010 1:10:47 AM PDT
Michael Long says:
I'm seeing two of my granddaughters in the kitchen alot... one is a big RR fan... and from that she went to a cooking summer camp... And I think she got the idea from seeing RR and her Lvoo stuff... The other one is a few years older... and that kid is getting really good.. Now the older one I don't think is that much of a FN follower... But that kid if she keeps up will become an outstanding chef... the older one is 15 and the younger one is 13. Now the other grandkids could care less as long as there is food. they are fine... I myself worked my way through college working as a line cook in LA many years ago... but after I got my degree in another field, I traveled so much that I ate out all the time... but after retiring... I started back up cooking after watching Bobby Flay do a program once. I was laying in a hospital bed, chatting with the wife and she said well now that you can't work anymore what are you going to do to keep alive, your brain working etc... And I answered back, well heck if that guy can do what he's doing, I know darn well I can get back to cooking again... and that was 10-15 years ago... and I got my old Julia Child books out and started watching all the food network shows, and started reteaching myself to cook again... But I did have some experience as a line cook behind me, but the point was FN has drawn some people back into the kitchen... Now I'm totally obsessed with cooking, chocolates and most anything else relating to food. Last year I started a food blog and it seems to be going along pretty good. But I agree with you, FN really needs to get some real chefs in there, Like Bravo and the Top Chef's Masters, after watching one of there shows, I'm up have the nite writing and doing recipes etc... just from the excitment that I get from that show... PBS, gets me excited when they have great chefs on there... I even get excited with Gordon Ramsey and his cusing and such... but the food network now has totally burnt me out on there stuff.

Posted on May 28, 2010 1:28:01 AM PDT
Alpha says:
Gordon Ramsey is a tool. I could never be on his show because the minute he opened his abusive mouth to me, he'd have a #10 can hurled at his melon. I've had the "pleasure" (not) of meeting Bobby Flay. While he's definitely got ability, his ego is too big for him to carry.
I've been in the "biz" for about 15 years now. I stopped watching the Food Network after seeing the twits they put in front of a camera. Sure, they might have a decent shtick- (such as throwing stuff all over the place and yelling "Bam") but they burn everything when they're recording. Good thing there are REAL chefs and cooks working the sidelines making sure the food is prepped and cooked properly.

Posted on May 28, 2010 8:05:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2010 8:26:15 AM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
The one I really don't like is Cake Boss (on TLC). That guy, Buddy, isn't very nice. One time his sister asked him to make her birthday cake and he refused - in a very jerky way. She was so mad she hired someone else to do it. But he DID make her a cake as a surprise, which he intended to do all along. I just really thought it was rotten how he dragged her through emotional hell before he presented her with his 'fabulous' cake.

The final straw was when, one day, they made a cake that needed to be delievered first thing the next morning. So they loaded it onto a refrigerated truck so it would be ready to go. Then Buddy stuck some guy with the fun task of staying with the truck all night to guard it. When the gang got there in the morning, he brought everyone outside to witness him wake this poor guy up by pouring water on him through the window. Ha. Ha. Big laughs. What a mean thing to do. I haven't watched it since.

That aside, Duff and his crew do much better decorating work than Buddy and his crew. Buddy's gang does not understand scale. Duff has Geoff who studied architecture and does beautiful work.

I can't account for the taste - never had that opportunity.

While we're on the topic, I'm really tired of all the darned "cake challanges". Those are just ridiculous to me. I watched a few of those in the beginning but I just cannot take one more of those programs. I used to come home from work and be able to watch one or two episodes of 'Good Eats' - which I love. Now that time slot is perpetually filled with cake challanges. Sigh... :-(

Posted on May 28, 2010 9:38:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2010 9:41:18 AM PDT
E. Calamusa says:
I absolutely love this discussion ;) Not because I have anything against Ace of Cakes or anyone with the talent to create masterpieces, but because it has given a bad name to those of who are Real people doing Real business baking for quality/taste over above the top decorating. Unfortunately, people don't always realize that the majority of this work is done with Fondant which for the most part - tastes terrible. In my experience kids may like a 'cool' cake, but they do not enjoy Fondant or cakes made with Fondant, the result being something that took hours & hours to make yet tastes dry & stale (because the time it took to decorate)

Just last night I had a client on FB tell me that he knows what he is asking for is possible (a 3D Darth Vader cake) because he saw it on Ace of Cakes, lol. Yes, but I am Liz not Ace, ha ha. Yes, I can and will do it, but it will not look like theirs, it will be great, but not an AoC cake.
Another thing that upsets me, these people on tv have huge staffs and their pick of artists along with massive machinery & every imaginable decoration. In addition, do you think people haggle about the price with the folks at Ace? or do you think that they get 6 or 7 times what I get for a cake that I made from scratch, alone, and that tastes fantastic? Yeah, its really sad.

I feel there is a time and place for either product, I just wish people would understand the differences.

Thanks all :) You have made me feel much better about this subject. I work so hard to create one of kind works for my clients that will taste even better than they look, but I also make everything from scratch AND use mostly buttercream for decorating (which I also make from scratch).

Thanks all!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 9:41:08 AM PDT
Oregongirl says:
I think so few people bake or cook anymore that they don't know much about food like they should. For most of the birthday parties that my children attend, the parent has gone to Safeway and bought a cake. Even if it's just 8 kids or so that are invited. And, regardless of their income.

People don't know then, that cake is even supposed to be good. Or doughnuts, or pizza or whatever. The food just needs to be somewhat affordable, large, and there. That's why RR and Sandra Lee have fans. And why people are surprised that grandiose cakes like that are dry.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 9:43:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2011 1:50:51 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 9:55:57 AM PDT
E. Calamusa says:
Well said :) Charging tons of money because these people have a chance to be on TV (hooray - lets see they make most customers look like whinny pains in the butt, when I have been blessed working with some wonderful people who never make me feel 'bothered' like the employees of this business act) and to be able to tell their friends that their cake was made by someone famous :)

Well yippee lol - I would rather be able to serve something that makes people want more & hate me for making them eat lol Thats my idea of a compliment and I accept nothing less from my work.

Be well everyone :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 10:07:31 AM PDT
Oregongirl says:
How much do their cakes actually cost? We've watched the show and wondered. The thing too, about fondant is that it naturally tastes disgusting, and watching them roll, mold and play with it with their bare hands kind of makes me not want to eat it. I'm sure they wash regularly, but that is a lot of hand action on food that goes directly into someones mouth.

Posted on May 28, 2010 10:17:59 AM PDT
ngg says:
Ace of cakes start at $1000.00. START! Wish I could charge $1000 for cardboard!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 10:28:31 AM PDT
E. Calamusa says:
LOL - So do I - But believe me when I say, I have clients fight me over the price (say $65) for something that looks exactly as they requested, tastes wonderful, made from scratch in every way, took me hours to add each & every detail by hand (because I dont have machines to cut stuff for me, rollers to ensure uniformity etc. so it takes me longer and I make sure every little detail is taken care of - in buttercream usually) and is worth far more.

Oh well :) Plenty of folks appreciate good work too though, so please dont think I am being negative. And like I said, there is certainly call for the beautiful creations made by AoC (and the others) - but they are art & not dessert lol.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 10:30:31 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2011 1:50:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 10:30:35 AM PDT
E. Calamusa says:
A lot! LOL - And yes, I agree! Why dont they all have to wear gloves during their work? I always wear gloves & no one has ever had to tell me. It just seems like common sense to think people would want cleanliness along with beauty :)

My hands are so incredibly dry from washing & wearing gloves, but its the price we pay.

Be well all :)

Posted on May 28, 2010 12:32:55 PM PDT
Colly Danger says:
A good friend of mine really loves Ace of Cakes, and when she got married last year she ordered a $4,000 cake from their shop. The cake wasn't a car or a shark or anything, it was a tiered brownie cake in different colors. When they served the cake, I was excited, thinking that with the reputation Ace of Cakes has that it would be delicious. I was soooo wrong haha! The cake was very dry and all that fondont was inedible, everyone at my table complained. On the way out of the wedding I saw noone had taken the bags of cake home.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 1:19:10 PM PDT
Alpha says:
Us New Yorkers know good pizza, bagels, delis and bakeries.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 3:00:01 PM PDT
Oregongirl says:
Well that's comforting.... Oregon is kind of embarrassing about it sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 3:50:07 PM PDT
Alpha says:
You guys have cows, hazelnuts and truffles... It's all good...I'll trade...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (875 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  May 27, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers