Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Arts & Crafts forum

What Is This Craft Called?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 12, 2012, 11:05:50 PM PDT
JVC says:
I didn't even know Amazon had a crafting forum, but once I found out I figured someone here should know what I'm trying to find out :) My mother does a specific type of crafting, I have no clue what it's called, but here's the deal: using cross-stitch/embroidery hoops, she puts various material in them and backs it with a solid color fabric and trims. What I'm trying to figure out is what to call the 'design' part of it - it looks a little like tatting but I don't think that's what it is. All I do know is that she used to be able to find the material but hasn't been able to for a while. I wish I could describe it better, and I appreciate any guidance anyone has. Thanks :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012, 10:58:20 AM PDT
Jessica says:
If this looks like tatting, could it be cutwork or reticello? Please see these books to see if they look like what your mom does.
Disegni di reticello antico
Open Canvas, instructional Encyclopedia of open work Techniques

Cut-Work Embroidery and How to Do It (Vista Embroidery Handbooks.)
Priscilla Hedebo & Cutwork Embroidery Book c.1916

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012, 1:45:57 PM PDT
JVC says:
Hi, Jessica, thanks for your ideas :). It's not so much that she stitches the work herself, but rather assembles it more than anything. The material was basically lacy-looking and had various sayings, like 'I Love Country' or 'Happy Birthday' or many other possibilities. She would then put a solid color fabric behind it to offset the message and then into the hoops. I wish I could upload a picture, but I don't know how to be able to get it to display here. At any rate, although I checked out the books you mentioned and it seemed somewhat similar yet not quite the same, it still gives me at least a jumping point to start with, which is more than I've had before :) Any other thoughts would be much appreciated, as well! :D

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012, 5:54:45 PM PDT
Jessica says:
What got me going was the embroidery hoop. But I've seen those used for crafts where the fabric is stretched and a fabric, plastic or paper lacy card or saying was glued to the front? Try the category Arts & Crafts and surf around for the look of it. Maybe you can find a kit.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012, 12:56:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 14, 2012, 12:57:17 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012, 1:35:52 AM PDT
There are jar lids that look like an embroidery hoop and have lace around the outside and may have lace or fabric framed in it. Could that be it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012, 5:47:41 PM PDT
JVC says:
Hi Jane :)

That does sound very similar, other than the fact that it's not done on jar lids. I've seen the pictures of the jars and sometimes it does look like what I'm trying to figure out. I'm especially trying to figure out if this has a name so it will be easier to track down. My mother loved doing it and I would so much like to find a way to bring back that pleasure for her.

Posted on May 18, 2012, 8:55:15 AM PDT
Could it be chicken scratch embroidery? the gingham and the lace work make it sound like this is a possibility?

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012, 2:03:19 PM PDT
M. Davis says:
Are you thinking of "applique". Just guessing hardanger or aida which can be cross stitched or embroidered on. I may be totally off track for what you are looking for but good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012, 10:26:06 PM PDT
Good ideas, Anastasia and M. Davis.
Ah, here's the question JVC:
You say into embroidery hoops, your mom

<<< "puts various material in them and backs it with a solid color fabric and trims" >>>

This is where we get lost. You have to describe "puts." Is the "various material" sewn on, embroidered, pasted or glued to it. "Backing" something with solid color fabric is sewing, quilting or lining. And do the trims go around the circumference of the hoop--either to hide or to accentuate it--or on fabric beyond the hoop, or on the inside of the hoop? Is the lace on the entire outer surface...or is it the actual surface and decoration is somehow attached to it? If you explain that layers and placement and, particularly, attachment of the various layers, that would help us be able to help you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012, 1:58:23 AM PDT
JVC says:
Excellent questions! I should have thought of all that myself, but then again, that's why collaboration is so useful :). I completely understand your being lost and appreciate all suggestions. Now to your questions: The material that goes inside the hoop is what I'm trying to figure out what it's called. The backing material is batting with felt glued onto it, and the piece of fabric that goes on the felt is what I'm trying to figure out. Once the finished product is put into the hoops, lace is glued around the outer circumference of the hoop. I know it's difficult to figure out from a description - does anyone know if I could somehow upload a picture to Amazon? (I know, it's a longshot - but you can never tell).

Posted on May 21, 2012, 11:36:19 AM PDT
I don't think you can upload to amazon, but I believe flickr allows photos and you could give us the link. I know what you are describing as I have seen similar things before, but I have a nagging feeling that this is more of a free-form craft and may not have a formal name. If you can get us pictures, I bet we could help you at least figure out how to recreate the technique even without a name. there are a lot of experienced needlewomen on this forum - first among equals, our leader Jane in Milwaukee. Hi Jane!

Posted on May 22, 2012, 11:37:35 PM PDT
Me Here says:
If the fabric with the batting has a metallic appearance it is a type of "lame" ( pronounced lamay-its french) . I think that your mother is engaged in a style of quilting/applique which may be called trapunto. There is a style of needlework which involves stuffing the space between the piece of applique and the backing fabric. I think this is the important part rather then the fabrics she is using or how she embellishes it.

Posted on May 24, 2012, 1:10:31 PM PDT
J. Thieman says:
Boy, I'm dying to know what this is! I love learning new techniques of needlework. Could this be stumpwork or needlelace? I doubt that it is, but I just thought I would mention them because no one else has.
Curious in BL

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012, 9:28:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 25, 2012, 9:44:43 PM PDT]

Posted on May 25, 2012, 9:45:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 25, 2012, 9:45:50 PM PDT]

Posted on May 25, 2012, 9:52:20 PM PDT
Saint says:
If there is a fabric store in your area they may be able to help! There is fusible batting that sewers use if they are quilting on it. For embroidery there is iron on or sticky stabilizer that almost any fabric can be adhered to then can then be put into a hoop. There are all sorts of stabilizer manufacturers. They come in all sorts of weights depending on what work your are doing with them..

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012, 9:41:40 AM PDT
Could it be pre-made pieces of filet crochet that she is attaching to a background? I am also reminded of my mother being able to purchase lace curtain panels by the yard at our local fabric store (with large eyelets already at the top for threading a rod) which were filet crochet, though I have not seen those for sale in years.

My only other thought (and I have no idea what it would be called other than tatting onto a background) is a framed piece that a friend inherited. It appeared to be tatting done onto a mesh/gauze type background. It was not simply tatting laid onto a mesh, it was attached at points into the meshy background - and that entire piece was then placed onto a colored background an then matted and framed. The meshy background was more open than cross-stitch fabric.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012, 12:41:49 PM PDT
Lisa Lee says:
Gulakowski was the closest to right i think. i remember back in the 80s we bought panels in the fabric department and cut them up to make pillows and wall hangings like you describe. the only place i've seen them in recent years are at yard sales (rarely the panels; mostly already made items). here's an example of a kit on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIP-NEW-Vtg-80s-1985-HOLY-FAMILY-12-Hoop-Wall-Hanging-NET-LACE-NEEDLEWORK-KIT-/110889175693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d1828a8d copy and paste the whole thing in your address bar

Posted on Jun 2, 2012, 8:46:23 PM PDT
Book lover says:
I wonder if it's a combination of techniques? Maybe a bit of Polka Spider Web? I've never done it myself but it has a tatted/woven look. While you could put a backing on this and probably even do it on a hoop, I can't imagine adding sayings unless it was a play on the spider web a la Charlottes Web.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012, 6:54:22 AM PDT
S. Sparke says:
If it's something lacey and has sayings on it could it be filet crochet?

Posted on Jun 4, 2012, 4:36:05 PM PDT
J. Ledford says:
I think this might be a "store bought" kit.
If you go to your nearest craft store you might be able to find one, then you can find out if it has a name :)
Your reply to J. Ledford's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Jun 7, 2012, 2:43:35 PM PDT
This might be needlelace if it looks like Filet Crochet - or it might be embroidery on net. The 'mesh' background might be buckram, which is a starched muslin mesh traditionally used for ribbon work. But these things take it out of the realm of the store bought kit. Is there a picture of this somewhere?

Posted on Jun 14, 2012, 11:55:06 PM PDT
JVC says:
To everyone who has posted and given input, I'm sorry I've been a bit lax in my posts lately, but please rest assured I've taken all of your suggestions to what this might be. Many of the suggestions helped me to narrow down some things - in fact, you were so much more helpful than the fabric stores, who did not have the vaguest idea of what I was describing. Anyway, needlelace or filet crochet seems to be what it is. Lisa Lee's link was definitely helpful, and in fact I've saved that in my eBay watch list. Thank you all so very much for your input; you have no idea how long I've searched for any clues at all and all of yours were great. In fact, researching all the suggestions has gotten me into crafting ideas I would never have known of otherwise! So thank you on behalf of my mother but also thank you on my behalf for all this new stuff I didn't know about :D

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012, 3:13:35 PM PDT
J. Ledford says:
I would love to see a picture of what your Mother crafts! :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Arts & Crafts forum (231 discussions)


This discussion

Discussion in:  Arts & Crafts forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  May 12, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers