Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Cycling forum

Unclipping issues

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 9, 2012, 8:40:21 AM PDT
Are there any special tricks I should know about unclipping from Shimano PD-M520 pedals? I have loosened the mechanism and they are still difficult to unclip from.
Your reply to Half Century Biker's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Jun 10, 2012, 9:54:22 AM PDT
C. J. Prince says:
When I first got my pedals, i paused at the bottom of the rotation to unclip. At the bottom, i can press down & unclip easier. The more I've used my pedals, the easier it has become to clip in & out - just takes some breaking in. After a couple years of moderate use, they've loosened up a little & I can now clip out just about anywhere in the rotation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012, 2:01:06 PM PDT
cody wod says:
i have to agree with CJ just use in its self loosens them up, i like to throw a little bit of oil in there too help loosen everything up a bit

Posted on Jun 11, 2012, 7:08:04 PM PDT
The Squirrel says:
I agree with the break-in on new pedals+cleats. Also, unclipping at the bottom of a pedal stroke is much easier for most people. Practice is also critical if you're relatively new to clipless pedals. If it continues to be a problem consider a pair of the SH-56 multi-directional cleats that go on your shoes. You can release in multiple directions - they're also relatively cheap.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012, 3:08:33 PM PDT
anon_39 says:
As other folks have mentioned, unclip at the bottom of the pedal stroke, pushing down and moving heel outward at the same time. I also lube the springs with White Lightening which makes them easier to unclip.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012, 6:22:36 PM PDT
Thanks for all the advice. I will give it a try. My concern thus far has been that I have only been able to unclip while on the bike once. It is why I have only been clipping one foot in. When I have been unclipping the lone foot, I have had to completely stop the bike and get off such as I can.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012, 6:23:57 PM PDT
PS. I am not new to clipless pedals, I have been riding for almost a year with a pair of candy's. It was a little difficult with them at first as well, however, these pedals are much more difficult.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012, 6:32:02 PM PDT
anon_39 says:
Did you rotate the tension adjustment screw counterclockwise all the way, on both sides of the pedal? Do you have new cleats?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012, 7:51:30 PM PDT
I haven't rotated it all the way, but the cleats are new.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012, 12:26:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012, 12:31:14 AM PDT
Dice says:
DO rotate them all the way. Then check and see how it is for unclipping. I have a shattered heel, basically healed, which has made it difficult for me to unclip my R foot, which I've used for decades for dismounting. As I've been riding, I have found that I have adjusted to dismounting with no problem. However, for me, probably because of the shattered heel, I find it easier to unclip with the pedal in an upward position.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012, 8:09:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012, 8:10:10 PM PDT
theshopper says:
I totally agree with anon_39 and Dice. I ride with my Shimano pedals set to the easiest possible release tension, making it very easy to get out fast when I want out. Over the past 15 yrs, I have come out unintentionally maybe about 4 times (probably I twisted my foot outward a little without meaning to), but this never caused any problem - I just immediately clipped back in. (Originally, years back, I bought Look pedals that didn't have release tension adjustment. They were hard to get out of, and I exchanged them for Shimano pedals, which I've been very happy with.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012, 5:12:24 PM PDT
I fixed my Shimano issue. I returned them and got Crank Brothers Candy's. First ride out and I was able to unclip easily without making any adjustments at all. The Shimanos were just far too difficult to unclip from.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cycling forum (356 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cycling forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jun 9, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers