Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Design forum

pathways into design

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2008, 4:56:58 PM PDT
Peter Kaplan says:
I'm a Design Person by nature (INFP/INFJ) but have never taken my skills beyond software design. Now looking for a pathway into meaningful design for the real world of livability, but not sure which to take. Anyone care to offer insights on what is needed and interesting in the design world right now? Or what is overhyped and about to bubbleburst? I'm ready to be sucked down a rabbit hole........
Your reply to Peter Kaplan's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2008, 6:40:36 PM PDT
C. L. Trachy says:
Remember down the rabbit hole was Wonderland. It is definitely the place to go.
My solution for creative design is to take a handful of fabric scraps and "doodle",
fit them together until they gradually "become" something which leads to some
other thing and then suddenly you see and it grows and you are in Wonderland.
Like looking at clouds: you see what you need to see. CLT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2008, 10:16:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2008, 10:18:26 PM PDT
Huckleberry says:
I love chasing rabbits because out of all the trails you follow it always leads you back home. I see each trail as an aspect to the design problem and with each trail comes something different. Take care to smell the roses along the way and any thing you find interesting, it doesn't even have to relate to the context. When you come back home empty your sack and sort through them, tossing many ideas and keeping some. Now you're ready to tweak the heck out of it, turning inside out and every which way.

Something I keep in my sack at all times is a Moleskin! This should be kept as a staple in your travels right along with water and a PB & J sandwich. Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2008, 10:12:39 AM PDT
Hemlock says:
If you're chasing what's "in" at the moment, you'll never get there. It's gone by the time you do. Chase what you find interesting, and like minded clients will find you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2008, 1:38:54 PM PDT
ZC says:
How interesting -- I'm an INFJ working in software, and have been thinking lately of precisely the same thing! How to transition from the corporate cube-world to something more creative and design-oriented? Here's what I'm planning for this transition. Perhaps some of these ideas will work for you, too:

1. Attend design-oriented networking events, such as a local chapter meeting of the Interior Design Society http://www.interiordesignsociety.org/ I'm hoping I can talk to people who will give me a sense of what to expect and what I need to work on.

2. Take a design class at night. I've taken many tech classes as night such as Oracle or database design; there must be something similar for Interior Design, space planning, design software at a local college.

3. Read up on design. Found this resource on the web that should help me get the "lingo" of the trade:
http://www.journalofinteriordesign.org/

I'm sure there are many more resources, especially on the web. Keep searching and good luck. And wish me luck, too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2008, 3:53:45 AM PDT
May Lynn says:
Hey ZC, about the interior design classes, have you thought about taking classes online? You might want to check out Westwood College, they offer a Bachelors in Interior Design in their eCollege. I don't vouch for anything that I don't know about and this is no exception, I just graduated with an Associates in Graphic Design. The great thing about college online, is that you do the homework and classes on your time schedule, as opposed to the set class times at local colleges. Good luck whatever you do!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2010, 4:40:21 PM PST
One publication that might spark your imagination and give you some idea of diverse routes into new kinds of design is the magazine Ready Made. It's a mix of carpentry, cookery, T shirt printing, high-tech creativity, conversion of secondhand or headed-for-the-landfill items into practical tools or veritable objets d'art . . . you name it. Superficially it might look like "just more DIY," but looking more deeply, you will find that the people featured have come up with the ideas themselves, in many cases conceiving of, planning out, and self-manufacturing unique new products and experiences. Come to think of it, I should probably subscribe! -- I love this publication for its pages of colorful ingenuity and far-outside-the-box design, and yes, for its definite aura of Wonderland in the midst of prosaic everyday life.

Posted on Mar 2, 2010, 3:42:27 PM PST
Peter Kaplan says:
Thanks, all, for the extraordinarily sporadic support :)
I'll be sure to comment this back with any progress....

Posted on May 24, 2010, 12:42:00 PM PDT
Missy says:
Can anyone of you direct me to a thread where I might get advice on making a dining room into something other then a dining room?

Posted on Aug 8, 2010, 4:16:49 AM PDT
There are tutorials on youtube for just about ANYTHING. I learned a lot of design techniques there. I have also uploaded a few tutorials myself. Youtube is a good place to get your feet wet but definitely at some point courses not only in design but in marketing and consumer behavior would be necessary.

Posted on Aug 12, 2010, 1:16:16 AM PDT
Houyhnhnm says:
I'm an INFP who did computer programming (mostly Business Basic) for many years and eventually realized/admitted that it was contributing a lot to clinical depression. I've been working on changing careers since fall 2007. If you want to ease into design and maybe make some money at it, Web site design would be a logical place to start. The market is not going away, though the bar for entry is getting higher as WordPress and automated tools take over the easier sites.

If you're thinking about changing careers I'd recommend the Strong Interest Inventory, a psychological test that uses masses of empirical data to point you toward possible careers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Design forum (11 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Brainstorming: How to make large coffee cup (about 5') inexpensively 16 Feb 6, 2016
New computer graphics sofware for 2D drawing and image processing 1 Jan 2, 2011
Is everybody a designer today? 32 Sep 20, 2010
Graphics Designers - The 1 Mistake Almost All Graphics Designers Make 2 Aug 12, 2010
pathways into design 10 Aug 12, 2010
What organization has defined the ethics of a designer? Are the ethics enforced those ethics? 3 Aug 8, 2010
What is the usual fee for an interior designer? Is it negotiated or firmly pre set? Besides fee what else is defined in the agreement between interior designer and client? 2 Feb 24, 2010
What books are these in this picture? HELP!? 4 Nov 30, 2009
Is Obama a designer president? And, if so, is that a good thing? 8 Nov 23, 2009
Graphics Designers - The 1 Mistake Almost All Graphics Designers Make 1 Mar 9, 2009
Audio for USGBC Ref 2 0 Aug 13, 2008

This discussion

Discussion in:  Design forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 12, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers