Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Wedding Store Tailgate-Garden Amazon Football TV Wall Mounting CrisisinSixScenes CrisisinSixScenes CrisisinSixScenes  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition RollingStones Shop Now Your Garage Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Discover it Mandolin Orange Starting at $39.99
Customer Discussions > desktops forum

Building my own computer seems really overwhelming.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 30, 2012 2:34:28 PM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
So I have been kicking around the idea and asking some guy friends on their input. I want a new computer (need a new computer, mine I got in '06 or '07.) And I understand that building one yourself can save you money on a machine that is built specifically to your needs.

I feel I'd have no issue -assembling- the thing. But when I look at, say, the motherboards available online I feel very overwhelmed and all the stats and numbers don't mean a thing.

Is there a website that I can basically say "I want a computer that does this and this" and get very specific suggestions about which parts to purchase?

And if anyone wants to make a suggestion - I need this for design. It will likely have 2 monitors. I plan to run Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time, multiple files/layers on each program. (I might get the whole Adobe Suite, might not.) Regardless would like something with a lot of storage space.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 5:08:52 PM PDT
First to be able to help you build your computer, you have to state your budget.

I know you want a dual monitor and you want to edit in photoshop and illustrator, you also want lots of space

without knowing the budget I will give you some suggestions

CPU Intel core i7 quad core

something like the i7 3820 will do nicely

motherboard anything for the lga2011 really they are all almost the same, go for something lower than 300$ or really low 300$

Ram quad channel 16gb under 100$

GPU (video card) nvidia gtx 560 or similar from ATI, you want a GPU as the adobe suite is moving towards using the gpu to offset work from the cpu. Also to connect both LCD

primary hard drive: ocz vertex III SSD 120gb to install windows and the suite you need, this will give you amazing loading speeds and booting times.

secondary drives: I would wait a while to buy hard disk drives since the floods in Asia prices are really high, before the floods a 2TB disk was $70 now they cost $120 or more. You can buy as many as SATA ports the mobo has, usually they have 10 SATA (1 one for the SSD + 9 for the HDD)

PSU: corsair gold something aournd 650 750 or 800w

Case: I like mid or full towers from Lian Li, they have nice clean designs, they are 100% aluminium, great airflow and tool-less

Monitors: I'm waiting for the 27" Samsung serie 9 to come out they are PLS which they sell as better than IPS, you can find in stock the 850 right now in Amazon, but the 9 series is the top of the line and is designed for people using photoshop and other graphic tools (I retouch pictures so I need an outstanding LCD also) other alternative are the Ultrasharp from Dell.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 7:51:11 PM PDT
For 1000 dollars you can make the desktop i did, it got 7.7 ratings on win7 across the board

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 9:39:06 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
My budget is around 1000 at the moment. I currently have -a- monitor and a new widescreen monitor is last on the list of things to get. Since I want the best machine for the job, I am willing to wait a bit and buy things as I can afford them. I would, of course, like a working machine after spending the initial 1000.

Thank you for the advise, though. Have written it down for reference.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 10:03:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 10:09:54 AM PDT
The most important aspect for a designer using photoshop, illustrator or any other tool that needs proper colour reproduction is the monitor, the rest of the specs is actually moot, as none of those software are actually very hardware intensive. Meaning that with anything mid-spec you can work pretty fine with it.

Having an IPS lcd panel assures you excellent colour gamut, viewing angles, contrast and definition. Buying an IPS panel is not the only requirement you need to calibrate it or buy some that is already calibrated like the samsung, dell or apple.

I don't know what kind of work you are doing with the computer, but if its serious photoshop you need an above average lcd panel

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 11:16:56 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
Most of my stuff is cartoons/logos that I use in stationery, stickers, and other products. I'm not sure if there's a difference between this and "serious" photoshop? I was thinking I'd need some pretty good thinking power because I generally have Photoshop and Illustrator open at the same time, both with 1 -2 files and 30 or so layers (depending on what I am doing. I paste back and forth between the two programs.) And I want a machine that will last me a while and that can be upgraded as needed. (I don't use any 3D rendering programs I use at home, but in the future I may want to utilize one for one reason or another.)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 11:28:24 AM PDT
Yes that count as serious photoshop work, I ask because there is people that says they use photoshop and the only thing they do is put pictures in black and white.

Any dual core processor from 2006 with fast ram with a fast sdd or hdd and you wont notice the difference.

The processing power of any modern cpu can handle everything you throw at it, short of raytracing in 3D, in a speedy manner.

As you are making an investment you should get something that will last at least 5 years through upgrades, the 2011 socket from intel is the latest one so that will give you the ability to upgrade at least for 3 years. Same with all the ports you will get from the motherboard are the latest and greatest.

Now that I know budget and use I will bring something up in the range of $1000 that adapts to your needs.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 9:55:29 PM PDT
John Kiser says:
hello there lucy i would recommend sitting down and discussing something like this with a geeky friend or the like, for 1000 dollars you will be at about a mid 600 to 700 dollar computer and fees, you could feel free to contact me directly at me email dragonherderx@gmail.com please note i do custom builds as a side job i will however not charge for recommendations. I can work within any budget given so long as it is realistic
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the desktops forum (34 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  desktops forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2012
Latest post:  May 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers