Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Digital Camera forum

I just need a big, clear screen to display one photo at a time!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 30, 2010, 8:40:44 AM PDT
Y. Smith says:
I'm a landscape painter and when I can't work in the field I work in the studio with my photos. I need an easy way to view my photos on a screen. Large and clear! Help!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2010, 10:01:21 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
We use our Sony Bravia HDTV, connected to a camera or a computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2010, 12:00:51 PM PDT
My Samsung 40" HDTV supposedly can read a USB flash drive for images.

Cheapest method I expect would be to first print them at 4x6 or so, then use an opaque projector

http://www.dickblick.com/products/artograph-prism-and-super-prism-art-projectors/

and a screen.

Next step up is either a computer projection display (most affordable ones are fairly low resolution)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=computer+projector&sprefix=computer+pr

or if you have an overhead (transparency) projector, I have seen color LCD panels for computers that go onto the projector... Can't find one currently in Google, though.

And last, as mentioned, many HDTVs have JPEG viewing capability

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2010, 12:59:06 PM PDT
Y. Smith says:
I wish I could just plug a flash drive into my monitor. Is there anything like that. I am avoiding prints, I want the best image possible that will translate the colors, lights and darks. A digital photo frame would be great if I didn't keep reading all the reviews about their flaws. I think they would probably get too hot as well. I don't have a projector. I think an HDTV sounds like a great idea. I will see what a 15"+ will cost.
Thanks!

Posted on Apr 30, 2010, 2:25:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2010, 2:25:34 PM PDT
Tom Martin says:
Coby TFDVD1595 15-Inch 720p Widescreen LCD HDTV with DVD Player, Black

Crystal-clear HD picture meets complete Digital entertainment, with Coby's 15" LCD TV/DVD player. The TFDVD1595 incorporates the best features for television and movie viewing in a single system, with dual tuners for great reception of standard and digital television broadcasts, Integrated slot-loading, HD-upconversion DVD player, and USB/SD card slots for direct playback of your digital files. Full-range Stereo speakers provide crisp highs and deep bass. AV and VGA connections, digital noise filter and multifunction on-screen controls also included.

Features
*15.6" Widescreen TFT LCD (720p)
*Integrated slot-loading DVD player upconverts DVD Video to near-HD quality (720p)
*DVD, DVD±R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, and JPEG compatible
*Plays digital media directly from USB Flash drives and SD cards <<<<<<<<<<&lt;<<<<
*DTV-ready with dual ATSC/NTSC tuners
*HDMI digital connection for perfect AV signal transmission
*HDCP compliance for HDCP content support
*AV Input jacks for use with media players, DVR/VCRs, video games, and more
*15-pin VGA Interface for use with Computer systems
*Full-range stereo speakers (6W)
*Digital Comb Filter and noise reduction
*V-Chip parental control, Closed-Caption, and Electronic Program Guide support
*Multi-language on-screen display
*Wall-mountable design (VESA 75mm x 75mm)
*Specifications
*Display Size: 15.6
*Display Type: 15.6" Widescreen TFT LCD
*Display Resolution: 1366 x 768
*Contrast Ratio: 600:1
*Brightness: 220 cd/m2
*Pixel Response Time: 8 ms
*Video System Standard: ATSC/QAM/NTSC
*Digital TV Input Format: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i
*Audio Output: Integrated Stereo Speakers; Digital Coaxial; 3.5mm Headphone
*Video Input: HDMI; RCA Component + Audio; RCA Composite + Audio; S-Video; 15-pin PC VGA + Audio; Coaxial Antenna
*Media Support: DVD, DVD±R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, USB Flash, SD Card
*Speaker Output: 3W x 2
*Unit Dimension (WHD): With Stand: 14.8" x 13.9" x 5.3"; Without Stand: 14.8" x 11.8" x 2.5"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2010, 3:57:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2010, 3:59:18 PM PDT
Note that even an HDTV is low resolution compared to most cameras.

The smaller units may only be 1280x720, though many are 1920x1080. That's only 2MP... A 4x6 print @ 300 pixels per inch runs 1800x1200.

Also note that if "the colors, lights, and darks" are crucial to you, then you will need to perform some sort of calibration for gamma, black point, and relative color levels.

Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray]
That one is Blu-Ray only; I don't know if the HD-DVD/standard DVD flip disk version is still available (of course, if you have a Blu-Ray player, the older version isn't needed). Includes a filter card that you look through while viewing a standard color bar pattern -- when the intensities are properly adjusted, you see things like alternating bars or double width bars.

That is one advantage to using an HDTV -- I don't know of any photo frames that include calibration controls (and they tend to run 800x600 pixels)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Digital Camera forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Digital Camera forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Apr 30, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 30, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer