Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Education forum

Preschool Prep DVD Moms-HELP!! Need Math DVD Advice

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 11:22:08 AM PST
B.Applebaum says:
Hi, I have been using the Preschool Prep DVD's with my daughter since she was 9 mos with amazing results. She is now 2 years old and proficient in counting, ABC's, colors, shapes and quickly learning sight words. My question to all you PPM's is what DVD's are you using to help teach your little ones math concepts. Thanks in advance for your input!!!!! Preschool Prep & Sight Words 7 DVD Pack (Meet the Letters, Meet the Numbers, Meet the Shapes, Meet the Colors, Meet the Sight Words 1, Meet the Sight Words 2, Meet the Sight Words 3)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:22:12 PM PST
Lisareads says:
Much of being human is learning to communicate with other humans. This is not the case with a DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 1:35:37 PM PST
B.Applebaum says:
Thanks for your words of wisdom. My daughter is also very social and loves being around people of all ages. Didn't mention it as I was seeking advice on educational tools for math.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:19:24 PM PST
Lisareads says:
I am not a math teacher but a retired consulting Engineer. Math can be looked at in may ways as one size does not fit all. My thinking is done in pictures I create not words or videos.
Playing with sand helped me being inspired with math.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 1:52:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 1:56:06 AM PST
B. Applebaum:

I'll post a comment in the hopes that your discussion topic will take precedence and get intelligent responses.

I think that your daughter will benefit greatly from your chosen educational tools

For Math Tools, I like to use Math You See and its manipulatives.

I would rule out Mortesnson Math if anyone considered it. The teaching materials haven't been updated in years, and what one recieves are poor quality photocopies of the original books.

Math You See is taught by a former Mortensen instructor and he is very good.

http://www.mathusee.com/about-us/homeschool/

The math manipulatives, cubes and series of cubes in all numeric denominations are very good tools.

Also, the Singapore program is well-recommended.

Hopefully, someone knowledgeable will come along and offer something for you.

One great tool I found was a children's Balance Beam Scale.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:13:20 AM PST
Lisareads says:
"One great tool I found was a children's Balance Beam Scale."
=====================
A few measuring cups also a ruler, string, and some sticks. They can be combined to do almost any child math.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:47:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 11:52:52 AM PST

That's odd "Lisareads," especially in light of the fact that you were quite rude to to B. Applebaum.

You criticized education with DVD's and there is no rational justification for discrediting modern advances in technology which are overwhemingly a benefit for teaching.

To be blunt about it, little that you write in these forums makes logical sense. You are critical of so many things like Legal Statutes which govern society.

There is nothing in the published topic of B. Applebaum which justifies your impolite reception and criticism. The poster is just a person looking for educational information.

Furthermore, you fail to publish your own discussion topics, as B. Applebaum has done, to initiate a very reasonable discussion on the subject of education. About all you contribute is one, neverending gripe about anything any other person publishes.

Isn't it about time you got some therapy for yourself?
The "Grinch" role you have allotted for yourself isn't a social benefit, frankly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 12:42:40 PM PST
Lisareads says:
"The "Grinch" role you have allotted for yourself isn't a social benefit, frankly."
========================
Take your positive role and put it where you mind is. Feelings does not solve problems or dismantle the society you so much publicise. If you want more trusting people that do not favor sex then get rid of the technology that makes it a desire. Technology has proven to dumb people down rather than educate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 1:49:27 PM PST
B.Applebaum says:
Bruce, thank you for your response. I recently ordered an educational program which includes flashcards, games and manipulatives. But I will certainly research the program that you recommended. I believe that my daughter is pretty advanced for her age. I know that using educational DVD's, to reinforce what she learns, has helped immensely to get her to the point where she is now. Maybe some read this post and assumed that I want a DVD that will teach my child math. I do realize that a child cannot learn math concepts from a watching a DVD. However, based on my child's progress I am convinced that they can be a valuable tool in reinforcing certain concepts of learning. Like it or not kids today are being educated in the age of technology. We, who have the responsibility of teaching children, would be wise to embrace it instead of dismissing it; especially when we as adults are using it to make our everyday lives easier, i.e. posting our thoughts and beliefs on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 2:28:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 2:31:14 PM PST
Lisareads says:
"especially when we as adults are using it to make our everyday lives easier, i.e. posting our thoughts and beliefs on Amazon. "
======================
It depends what you mean by easy and educated. Yes there are advantages and disadvantages. Children should learn like we have for thousands of years. The fundamentals as if no technology then learn technology as it speeds up the process to faster living. The foundation is without the toys. Tell me do you think an accelerated life gives you time to live? How does it feel to have an electronic chain where you have no privacy with cell phones or web documents that everyone can find out all about you life beliefs and tastes even before they meet you. Soon millions will see you medical records just as they have access to you tax records and legal activity. Not a very pretty world for a little convenience. For example your cell phone broadcasts its number any time it is on. That number can be located and identified by an app on a smart phone. Some one you have never met in a store can see you and look up you entire life on the web including your husband, relatives and all your life juicy details. BENITA GARLICK

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 3:05:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 3:20:55 PM PST
B. Applebaum.

Your interests are vital to the education of your child. I think programs like Math You See as they are in their complete module form, which is DVD, Book and the Manipulative Set might be slightly advanced. The whole module set would be good for a first grader. However, the Math Manipulatives are
excellent for teachings simple additions.

It has always been my philosophy, that Children see LARGE so much more than "little".

I also teach English to Chinese which includes Business People, College Students and about 5 Doctors who train both in the USA and in China. I remarked to the Mother of a precocious 6 year old girl that instead of using the little "toothpick-like" manipulatives she bought for math, that she consider using a normal Deck of Playing cards for Teaching Counting & Math.

Imagine the simplicity of the Cards. They are portable, and can be carried anywhere, shopping, or a restaurant etc. Any child can be taught basic counting because those playing cards look "so big" to a little child. Find 2 cards and 3 cards and so forth is a rather simple thing.

Math You See is one of the more popular programs out there, and you can buy a First Module for
....a small cost. Watch out for programs, no matter how highly recommended, that are Multi-Year curriculum that cost 300 or more dollars. Some of those look good in advertising, but have "little flaws" that are not at first apparent.

Also B, keep a plentiful supply of Song CD's and even perhaps, some classical music for your child.
I found that children love singing things. On YouTube, there are amazing songs like the "Acids & Bases" song for learning chemistry. There are also English Grammar Sing-Songs that children can learn. YouTube has an abundance of "One Little, Two Little, Three Little Indians, etc for parents to use.

One of my favorite all time teaching materials are Nursery Rhymes like
"The Little Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly" and "The House That Jack Built".

I found some essays online, just in the last week, about the turbulent Cultural Revolution of the 1960's in America to teach my Grandchildren. Of course, the socio-cultural concepts were advanced for a 2nd grader and 4th grader, but the amazing thing was that my 2nd grader, without any prompting from me, began copying my reading of 3 word phrases. What was unusual, is that this is exactly how I teach my Chinese students English. I read 3 word phrases, and they copy me, repeating the phrase.

I think this is an excellent, and natural Method for teaching. In fact, sometimes if I lecture, I see my grandchildren imitating my mouth movements and hand gestures, like a pair of little monkeys, making fun of me.
Then I can become even more exaggerated, and so do they, until we all end up laughing.

I hope you will share more of what you do to teach your child. With your child, you are going to have a lot of fun finding those things which work for you. By the way, someone out there makes a Math Pizza, and it is great for teaching how a Pizza divides into 1/6ths, 1/8ths etc. Children love having a wooden puzzle pizza that they can make for you with little wooden mushrooms, pepperonies, etc.

Remember B, there is great stuff on You Tube, for math and everything else.
Most educational programs being marketed, have a YouTube demo for their product.
In fact, one of my Chinese students taught herself English with YouTube music videos. She tells me now that she hates attending college classes, because she can learn faster on the Internet.

Yesterday, she found something that was entirely new to me, which was the "TED" lectures at Harvard and Yale. So if you ever feel a need for stimulation, check this out:

http://www.ted.com/talks/ernesto_sirolli_want_to_help_someone_shut_up_and_listen.html

Some of these are incredible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 4:27:02 PM PST
Lisareads says:
"Some of these are incredible."
================
Beware of Bruce as he has a fetish about sex with children.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Education forum (428 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Education forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions